Tuesday, May 19, 2015

A couple announcements!

GOOD MORNING, FRIENDS!!!!

Guess who is finally almost, almost 100% better? That's right, Filmi Girl!

It has been a long, long couple of months but I had what was hopefully my final appointment on Monday and should be as right as rain soon enough.

I know most of you understand how difficult it is to focus on writing or thinking critically when you are in a lot of pain. There were a lot of times in the past couple months I couldn't even bring myself to read subtitles or watch anything too wild or stressful. I re-watched the Lord of the Rings movies. I re-watched Flight of the Conchords. I listened to a lot of audio books.

Hopefully, I will be back on some sort of writing-reviewing schedule soon. I will be away for a couple of weeks until the beginning of June for some much needed R&R but when I come back things should be picking up again!

In the meantime, I hope everybody enjoyed the hoopla over Bombay Velvet. That was kind of an unexpected backlash! It makes me wonder how Zoya's film will be seen… if critics aren't already tired of these guys.

And please be enjoying… NEW SHINEE PV!!!!

I still hold that Bollywood would be smart to partner with the Korean entertainment industry instead of chasing America. Get SHINee for an item song and start winning back territory lost to Hollywood in Southeast Asia, dudes!

Ah!! And I had some requests for JUST the "Bollywood for Beginners" part of my e-book to pass along to total noobs so here you go:

USA Amazon

UK Amazon

AU Amaazon

Filmi Girl's got you… as long as she's not in crippling pain!

3 comments:

odadune said...

yay, congrats! *hugs* You were of course missed, but it was totally more important that you get to feeling better than that we get to read you regularly.

Bollywood is already being influenced by Korean media to some extent-Ek Villain was a remake of a Korean film, and it's rumored that Aish's Jazbaa will be as well.

Bombay Velvet was an amusing trainwreck-I think everyone involved, even Kashyap, had distanced themselves emotionally from it during the mess of post-production so I didn't feel bad about it failing the way I have for some other movies. Anushka's riding high otherwise, Ranbir's talented enough and connected enough to bounce back, Kjo got decent reviews for his part in the proceedings and has plenty to do in his dayjob, Kashyap's supposedly going to exile himself to Paris, which is nice living if you can afford it. RGV's bout of schaudenfreude on twitter was particularly hilarious.

Bombay Talkies said...

"I still hold that Bollywood would be smart to partner with the Korean entertainment industry instead of chasing America. Get SHINee for an item song and start winning back territory lost to Hollywood in Southeast Asia, dudes!"

I don't know about this--I have a lot of Bollywood-loving friends living in Korea who say that the few Bollywood films released there are poorly received because Korean audiences hate the dance numbers.

I don't know what the Venn diagram on Bollywood lovers and Kpop lovers looks like but at least for me I love Hindi films and hate *HATE* kpop/jpop/etc.

(Also, welcome back! I've missed being able to regularly read your posts!)

Monika Mehta said...

As a fan of K-drama and Hindi films, I second the partnership. There is a shared emotional syntax. Albeit, Hindi films going the Hollywood way are losing this, but a partnership with Korean media could mean its revival.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl