Saturday, April 18, 2015

Dil Dhadakne Do trailer is here… but forget love, why isn't anybody worried about getting the shits?!

Well, the Dil Dhadakne Do trailer is here and all I have to say is… "Yawn."

A cruise? I mean, come on!! DON'T PEOPLE READ THE NEWS!!! The amount of literal shit-filled cruises in the news right now, I don't know who is crazy enough to go on one. Forget multiple man-children Understanding What Love Is and Priyanka having affairs and whatever, I would think the biggest crisis going on would be POTENTIAL VIRAL OUTBREAK AND ALSO BODY FLUIDS.

Anyways, to be fair, the trailer may conceal a film with some universality hidden inside the portrait of That Class of people, like the brilliant Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara. But if the trailer is accurate then this is the exactly the kind of film I have no interest in English, in Hindi, in whatever language. This is just my personal preference, of course, but I find movies delving into the interpersonal (especially romantic) relationships of various wealthy people with no worries beyond boredom and what the neighbors think, extremely tedious. I'll believe True Love and Romance in a fantasy film, in a masala film, in a mythological film… I don't buy it in what passes for real life in Hollywood (and "Hollywood-style" films.)

But I will say that the tip of the hat to Bollywood--in the form of the song picturizations hinted at--is rather interesting. I think out of all the new "Hindie" directors working that Zoya (and Reema) understand the comfort to be found in synced song-dances. Anurag Kashyap hit it in Dev.D, Dibakar Banerjee had his cake and ate it in Shanghai, but somehow I get the impression both of those men (and even Farhan) feel like songs are "selling out" in a way that Zoya-Reema don't. Like, those guys will do songs to appease the money men but deep down they truly believe that "real" movies, "serious" movies are the type of thing that wins awards at Sundance and Cannes. Not from Filmfare.

4 comments:

odadune said...

LOL-ing at the bodily-fluids version of the "people on a cruise" movie; Rohit Shetty should give that one a try. Maybe with a climax where the hero has to heroically run the ship aground, ala Speed 2. :)

I was pretty meh on the trailer as well; the realistically toxic parent-child dynamics are not my idea of fun, and Priyanka comes off as too much of a vamp in this. Ranveer and Anushka are charming though, and as you say, maybe there's another ZNMD hiding in there somewhere.

Filmi Girl said...

I would be first in line for Rohit Shetty's version of this movie featuring the cast of Golmal 3. Mithun and Arshad comically bickering, Bebo slapping Ajay upside the head until he takes control of the ship and runs it aground in order to prevent her from getting ill.

But does anybody think cruises are glamorous these days?! All I think of is stuff like this: http://www.businessinsider.com/how-carnival-went-from-fun-ship-to-poop-cruise-2013-2?op=1

Jess said...

I've always loved cruises, and I think Zoya is obviously using it for purposes of locking this family in one place and forcing them to face problems. That being said, I'm not really a fan of some of the actors in this, and probably won't see it. (If Bebo and Ranbir had done it, I would have)

Red said...

Girl, better chill to 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns" trailer. That's some fun and drama in a good dose bahuuuuut Bollywood style. :D

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl