Tuesday, March 24, 2015

GABBAR IS BACK… Returns!

Well, Akshay may not have the dialogue delivery skills of Amjad Khan but may I state a tentative excitement for this one? Akshay is really rocking that salt-and-pepper look. Dang!

I'm not the biggest Shruti Hassan fan but she has grown on me a bit, especially after her performance in 3. I'll be curious to see how she does here.

Also… did we all see the poster for Tanu Weds Manu Returns?! Eee! Kangana, Madhavan, Deepak Dobriyal, Jimmy Shergill, and Dhanush in one movie?! Clearly this is being made for me. Clearly.


I really, really liked Anand Rai and Himanshu Sharma's work on both the first film and Raanjhana so I have high hopes for this sequel. Both of those films captured something… they weren't the broad hero-giri masala that gets trashed everywhere by critics but they definitely weren't aping Miramax-y Hollywood films either. They felt very fresh, were well cast, used music very well, and gave me a lot to think about. Especially Raanjhana. Hats off to you, sirs!

And confidential to Asim, it doesn't look like Maddy's Irudhi Suttru is out yet and a quick search revealed no release date. Maybe somebody else has more information?

3 comments:

odadune said...

I was not that impressed by Akshay's work in the audio teasers (although his diction and line readings in general have improved a lot in the last few years), but I thought he did pretty well with the dialogue in the actual trailer, and certainly he rocked the physical stuff. Amjad Khan had a unique voice even among stage-trained actors, one that came close to costing him the role in Sholay. To my mind there's no shame in not managing a spot-on imitation, especially in a role where you're kind of reworking the Gabbar concept for another purpose.

I've liked Shruti in other things, and the director's been pretty good with female characters in other stuff, but the trailer doesn't give much sense of what to expect from her. The almost-kiss is hilarious though.

Still need to see the first Tanu Weds Manu. :)

Jess said...

Haven't seen Raanjhana yet, but I really loved Tanu Weds Manu. And I like that this new poster is only a slight change from the one for the first movie. So the feel of the sequel will be similar to the original. Can't wait!

sunil said...

You shouldn't compare a legend like Akshay Kumar to a misnomer like Amjad Khan.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl