Friday, January 16, 2015

What's on?

For your viewing pleasure, in the United States anyways, you can chose from two films this weekend! I think we can guess where I'll be heading:

Yup! IT'S TIME FOR I!!!!!! Oh, yeah! It's showing in Tamil and Telugu so watch out when you buy your ticket that you get the right language.

People who don't care for Shankar's style of entertainment can check out Gangs of Wasseypur.


GANGS OF WASSEYPUR - US Theatrical Trailer (GREEN) from Cinelicious Pics on Vimeo.

The list of theaters is here and there are quite a few so chances are if there's a fancy movie theater near you, it will be showing up!

I know I rag on the Kashyap a lot but… I don't know. I kind of want to see this do well but I kind of don't. But I suppose the cat is already out of the bag, so to speak. The Miramax-lovers are firmly embedded in the Bollywood mainstream. And if I have to watch an adaptation of Tess of the d'Urbervilles set in India, I would a million times rather it come from one of the Hindie crowd than some carpetbagger, you know? And it would be nice to be able to say to people, "I saw this great Indian movie last weekend" without the knee-jerk response being, "OH WAS THERE DANCING LULZZZZZZ! REMEMBER BENNY LAVA?!!!!!!"

Anyways.

I also noticed that Lingaa is on Tentkotta now with subtitles! I will try to get to that, as well!

Filmi Girl is tired, y'all. Tired of a lot of things. But do you know what she is not tired of… AWESOMENESS! I and Gangs of Wasseypur can co-exist. One to soothe and delight the frazzled mind of a Filmi Girl and the other to add some "grit" and excitement to the otherwise boring lives of… other people. To (mis)quote David Brent, different films for different… needs.

3 comments:

Snobby SydneySider said...

I'm excited for I. May catch it this coming week. Gangs of Wasseypur was just too violent for my taste and I left half-way through. Surprisingly the Kashyap film that has stayed with me the most was Gulaal. Waiting for your I review before I check it out so don't keep us waiting too long for it!

odadune said...

Have fun with whatever you want to look at this weekend, and don't let yourself get burned out. :)

Apex said...

Gangs of Wasseypur is one of my all time favorite films but before I go onto a GoW rant

Something I hav jotted about boyhood elsewheres --pasting it here if anybody interested --recommended...

BOYHOOD (& mother/sister/fatherhood!)

39 days spread over 12 years is the timespan of this extended 
real-life chronological continuum.
"Any dipshit can take pictures, It takes a real genius to make art." Is what the protagonists photography teacher sermonises to him. I totally agree with him.

While everyday, we see around us those adept at making the simple appear complex, Linklater reminds that true brilliance lies in unpretentious simplicity. Here he tackles complex issues of boyhood & mother/sister/fatherhood without all the unnecessary (pseudo)intellectual baggage!

The first few reels take time to grip just like the process of 'maturity' it wishes to depict. This is an unprecedented effort (barring possibly 'Up') & brings together one of the best collaborations of modern cinema --Richard linklater and Ethan Hawke. Hawke is not the central character but nonetheless towers over the proceedings and for me, there remained an Ethan hangover beyond his limited screen time.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ESVgF4P221E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESVgF4P221E&sns=em

This does not match exactly the 'before trilogy' in terms of consistency and screenplay, but there's enough ambition, vision and brilliance in it to justify long overdue accolades for this film maker.
The inherent 'gimmick' of the structure used here never affects the directors grip and vision. Although there are no telltale 'flags' or 'bookmarks', there are unmistakeable chapters in the life and times of Mason (played by Ellar Coltrane with effortless ease and maturity sometimes bordering on careless nonchalance) who gives a worthy exhibition of effective understated underacting. The changing timelines and timespans are subtly illustrated by game consoles, flip phones and so on but all this never gets too loud and though 'dated' technology has been planted deliberately it elicited no irritation in the writer of this piece! Colltranes performance arc suitably follows that of this character and he does more than hold his own amongst hardcore performers like Hawke and Patricia Arquette. The latter comes into her own during the closing reels wherein after pushing Mason towards independence all his life, she struggles to actually let him go!

Masons flowing experiences and the evolution of his psyche and intellect is tracked faithfully though there are brilliantly interesting side-characters throughout.
The scenes between Mason & Mason Sr formed the highlight. The latter always have pearls of wisdom (including on politics et al) to impart and the former does develop some skepticism towards those towards the latter reels inspite of the good comaraderie. But the 'honesty' in the parts & the actors is great.

I talked about the alternately sweet and melancholic trajectory trope earlier. Linklater does brilliantly here though again I wanted some further tweaks at places. But I always ask for too much, you know.
The movie does not fall prey to some irresistible temptations. For eg there's no essential scene of Mason Jr "losing his virginity" and there are no 'flashback' and interludes of nonlinear film making with evocative soundtrack --must admit I would have fallen for the latter option playing around the closing titles with one of my favorite soundtracks overseeing the transitory phases of the 'maturation' process. I don't care about the oscars at all (being an old mans club that finds Jen law & brad cooper worthy of serial nominations)!The greatness of this film lies in its 'smallness' and 'ordinariness'
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IiDztHS3Wos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiDztHS3Wos&sns=em

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl