Thursday, October 16, 2014

Writer's block is the worst!

Sorry, friends. It's not that I forgot to post this morning but more like… I've been having trouble getting words out this week. I don't know. I suppose we all go through times like that, right? (Write?!)

Anyways, since I've had these open in a tab since this morning, I'll share now!


First of all, this writeup of the MFF had me cracking up.

Actor Imran Khan walked in to present Two Days, One Night by the Dardennes brothers only to be roundly and soundly booed. "Start the film!" chanted an impatient (and rude) crowd. One person hollered at Khan, "What are you doing here?" To which a rather nonplussed but dapper-looking Khan replied, "I'm not sure what I'm doing here."

HA! Are we sure I wasn't there? See, film snobs and I have one thing in common--neither team think Imran belongs in our films.

Wait, maybe we agree on two points:

During the Q & A session following the Master Class conversation between actresses Catherine Deneuve and Deepika Padukone, someone in the audience asked Padukone why Bollywood doesn't make "socially-relevant films". Padukone said that it wasn't true that there was no socially-relevant cinema in the commercial arena and held up Prakash Jha's Arakshan and Kheley Hum Jee Jan Sey as examples.

Clearly, Padukone hasn't been out in the real world much if she thinks either of those films are relevant.

See, film snobs?! Filmi Girl ain't so bad, huh. She has no patience for self-serious middlebrow dreck either!

Next was 29 (IS HE REALLY?!) year old Arjun Kapoor talking about how vital it is to promote your films online. Like twitter is really important for this, says the star son who apparently has never done anything for himself ever include market his own freaking films on twitter.

I joke, I joke.

But, seriously, Mid-Day? Arjun is also planning to hold a contest with his more than three lakh admirers on the micro-blogging site before releasing the trailer. Through the contest, the lucky ones will get a chance to meet him and leading lady Sonakshi Sinha.

Uh… "admirers"? Are you sure that's the right choice of words there? I mean if he had a million followers than maybe three lakh would be admirers, three lakh would be bots, and four lakh would be industry hangers-on, journos, people who want to see both sides of other celeb's conversations, and those people who follow 8 billion accounts.

Fun fact: his "promotions" seem to consist mostly of RTing praise from his celeb friends. But it did lead to gems like this:


"Hey cool poster, bro, but about me…"

In other news, I can't quite believe I'll be seeing PERFUME live in their first American tour date EVER in just about one month!!!!!

1 comment:

odadune said...

I'm sorry but that Tevar poster makes Arjun looks like Karloff's Frankenstein Monster. :)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl