Monday, October 20, 2014

Memory Lane Monday...

I feel like there was no Indian ensemble of Berklee when I attended the college but… who knows! My performance skills were never my strong suit. Music production major right here! Look kids, you could go to Berklee, study music, and then take up writing a film blog!

Great stuff, though.

The weekend in New York was fun, as always. But tiring. Well, at least it is when you sing five hours of Japanese karaoke. Alcohol does not impair my kanji-reading skills. That is something I discovered this weekend. The novelty of a tall, white woman singing old Japanese rock songs provides a lot of amusement. That is something else I discovered. Hey, I like The Alfee. So sue me. ♪星空の下のディスタンス。。。♪

I don't think I missed anything major. I still have zero interest in actually seeing Happy New Year (Happy ENDING on the other hand…) but I am rather morbidly interested in the discussion swirling around it. Shahrukh isn't going to go quietly.


I wonder what it says about our era that it's now the two "serious actor" Khans Aamir and Shahrukh flashing six packs everywhere while Salman didn't even take his shirt off in Kick, if I remember correctly…

I wish all of these guys would keep their clothes on, to be honest. The occasional six pack flash is alluring but seeing so much of it all the time turns everything into a Mens Health magazine cover or something. Enough. It's boring. Speaking of boring, I can't believe somebody wrote this with a straight face. Arjun Kapoor is such a boring actor. BORING! I'm so BORED of this obsession with "ordinary" and "authentic" and "realistic"? I'd rather see outrageous, amazing, and mind-blowing. I have enough average ordinary realism in my every day reality, thank you very much.

7 comments:

DPSF said...

Was Shahrukh ever a "serious actor"? Maybe with Swades... Anyway I agree with the 6-pack overdose... a film won't become better just coz of a 6-pack. Are they so scared of getting old?
I mean of course it was fun to see Ranveer Singh shirtless in Ram Leela, but Aamir in Dhoom 3 and Shahrukh in HNY just put too much effort into the "LOOK HERE I'M SHIRTLESS AND COMPLETELY DEHYDRATED SO YOU CAN SEE MY 6-PACK BETTER! I MIGHT EVEN SPRAY-PAINT IT TO ENHANCE THE CONTRAST!!"

Divya said...

I am soooo over the six pack, 8 pack flashing as well. After a point it doesn't even look that good. I actually found Ranveer Singh's and Hritik Roshans shirtless scenes in RamLeela and Bang Bang more embarrassing than anything else. Like kissing scenes it works better in small doses and within context.

Also liked the Berklee video you posted. Though this is one of my absolute favorite A.R.R songs and IMHO this song is more defined by the vocals than any other song. The instrument work was fantastic but I wish the singers had bought a little bit more sensuousness to the vocals.. it is wedding night fantasy song after all.

odadune said...

The meme about SRK in journalist circles is that he's a talented actor whose recent roles haven't challenged that much. His films are generally not as seen as being as "intellectual" in the Aamir sense, but at least prior to Ra.One he was seen as someone who chose wholesome, middlebrow movies that educated people could watch without brain damage. to a large extent he is still portrayed that way.

(Disclaimer: this is my perhaps mistaken impression of how he is portrayed in the media. no personal opinion of his skills at acting or project selection are intended).

Dehydration? Well, perhaps that explains why I'm finding the gymrat images of SRK and Aamir kind of offputting.

I don't care much about Arjun one way or another, but I hope whoever wrote that awful, bootlicking piece in Open had a lot of fun spending their remuneration from Boney :P

DPSF said...

Odadune: yes, I heard from a bodybuilder about this dehydration technique. Before a contest they'll stop drinking and take diuretic stuff, it makes the muscles more apparent. But you see all the veins too, imo it's disgusting. It's obvious in this picture for example:
http://cdn.koimoi.com/wp-content/new-galleries/2014/09/srks-8-pack-abs-look-revealed-1.jpg
ewwwwww...

odadune said...

DPSF: ugh, that sounds gross and unhealthy, like a lot of things men and women do for the "perfect" look. :(

Filmi Girl said...

@Odadune LOL!! I agree with your assessment. On both SRK and six packs. That's one reason why I have such a hard time with the fawning that goes over these so-called perfect looks. I don't see perfect, I see the hours everyday in the gym, the plastic surgery, the pain, the self-deprivation involved… it's not 'sexy.' Unless we're all masochists now? I'd much rather have a hero with a little gut a lot of talent than one with six pack abs and nothing else.

But the industry seems headed in the other direction.

@DPSF AGREE!!!! OMG! AGREE! Put the shirts back on, almost 50-somethings. Please.

@Divya I hadn't thought about the link to kissing but I agree!! A little is alluring but too much and it's just gross. :(((

Interesting point on the singers! I admit I'd been focused on the drumming and instruments but I'll have to listen again to the vocals… but then I wonder if what's lacking is the idea of this as a "film song" with a place in the narrative and an emotion behind it, versus just a "song"...

Divya said...

@Filmigirl I agree that maybe the idea of this being a "film song" is lacking but the lyrics are rather erotic. I don't know much about western music ( I have only listened to pop music and not much else) but don't even standalone songs convey emotion. So I thought the singers would have tried to convey some of what the very sensuous lyrics were saying in their singing. Again it was a fantastic piece that I don't want to seem to be criticizing too much. It was just a thought.
Regarding kissing scenes and sex scenes, I think they are just overused these days. Done well they are spectacular, example Vidya and Arshad in Ishqiya elsewhere they are just lazy and misplaced, example Lootera. Didn't fit the context or the time period.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl