Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Excuse me, girl… I need to brood in your general direction.

I was catching up on youtube and Arjun here caught my eye. This song and video are like somebody went through a checklist of what it takes to make a Jason Derulo-type "lite" R&B song. I wanted to look away but then just as I was ready to click back another cliche would bound into frame! Crazy town. The best part is I tried to find something about him on Hungama but couldn't find anything

Something I didn't want to find… ugh. America, stop trying to export your stupid superheroes! Why does Stan Lee think India wants his colonialist "Chakra The Invincible" nonsense?

I'm sooooooooo tired of superheroes. So tired. And I don't just think it's me.

This weekend I was hanging out with my brother and we were trying to decide on a brainless movie to watch on Netflix. I suggested a couple of the big Hollywood blockbusters I hadn't seen yet--including the Avengers--but my brother was like, "They weren't that good." Or at least not good enough for him to see twice. We ended up with Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, a film I don't think could get made in Hollywood today--no clear "genre," no tie-in to an existing brand, no stars, really weird script. Yet it rocks!

That's the thing with all these superhero and other "genre" branded stuff that's gone mainstream in Hollywood… it's really not that good. Like those new Star Trek movies that erase everything Star Trek fans loved about Star Trek and threw in more space opera to appeal to Hollywood's beloved Teen Male (And Adult Males With Teen Tastes) Demographic. Some things are better left to niche markets but I suppose the problem Hollywood is having is that American killed it's own mainstream pop culture and now all that's left is the "niche." Hollywood wants to make big bucks, which you can only do on a mainstream hit, but how do you make a mainstream hit when the only material you seem to be willing to work with is this brand-name genre stuff?

Guardians of the Galaxy ended up a pretty mainstream hit, surprisingly, but those kinds of films are few and far between.

Maybe it had to do with James Gunn recognizing the importance of emotion, friendship, and… dance?

Anyways, excuse me, girl. Just some rambling thoughts for a soon-to-be-rainy Wednesday.

1 comment:

Emmie said...

Arjun has tons of stuff up on YouTube. I think my favorite is his English-language remake of Kolaveri Di, but he does several re-imaginings of Hindi film songs, classic & contemporary. Worth a look, most definitely!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl