Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Alcoholicccccc…

Good morning, all! What will this week have in store for us?? Who can say?!

I think the next big release I'm looking forward to after Bang Bang is Shankar's I and then for Bollywood we have my big two--Kill Dil and PK. Happy New Year looks utterly mediocre, I'm sad to say. I know I've said this before but I cannot see the point of casting actually bad dancers as "bad" dancers in a dance movie. Where is the fun in that?

Anyways, hopefully I'll get to at least see Kill Dil and PK in the theater now that I found out that one of the local English multiplexes I can get to by public transportation just started playing Hindi films!! They probably won't get the non-blockblusters, like Raj & DK's upcoming Happy Ending, which I'm also really looking forward to, but, hey, I'll be content to see Govinda on the big screen.

Also this fall are Action Jackson and The Shaukeens, the promos for the latter I've missed while heaving my head buried in troubles on this end so let's take a look, shall we?! 

Hmm… well, The Shaukeens doesn't appear have the loopy likability of Entertainment but it could still be a decent watch for Akshay.

See! Here's the "Johnny Johnny" video from Entertainment, which was kind of a similar theme but there's a… wildness, a vitality to it that's missing from a slick party picturization like "Alcoholic." Not that slick is bad, per se, but I personally connect more with the wilder form of entertainment.

And as long as I'm shading differences in party picturizations, I really am quite overwhelmed at the response to my Bang Bang review.


Sujoy Ghosh himself told me I'd read the film correctly, so the fact that essentially every other critic seems to have missed the point tells you all you need to know about how seriously Hindi film critics pay attention to films these days. They seem to have all had their reviews written before they went into the theater, if they went into the theater at all… and/or there is some backstage politics going on with Fox Star or Hrithik or Katrina and paychecks for reviewers. (i.e. They didn't them.) I can totally understand not liking a film like Bang Bang but to not even understand that it was Harleen's story? That just proves they couldn't see anything from their position with lips puckered firmly behind Vishal Bhardwaj's ass.

Now, I'm not saying Haider isn't a good film--in fact, I bet it's a great film--but praise for Haider doesn't need to come at Bang Bang's expense. Because, what? If Haider does well, no massy film will ever be made again? SERIOUSLY? Come on, now. And I get called naive about films?

6 comments:

odadune said...

Congrats on the Sujoy Ghosh comment, that is so awesome!

Akshay's only guest-appearing in the Shaukeens, with some articles claiming he's mostly in the second half. His character is meant to be a bitchy drunken superstar who, in the trailer, yanks a cameraphone out of a woman's hand with a stern "ASK, madam, before you take a photograph!"

So, uh, what I mostly took away from Main Alcoholic Hoon is that this is a grumpier, more dysfunctional drunk than the one in Johnny Johnny. And that this movie is likely to be kind of a waste of a promising jodi.

Apex said...

Filmigirl u r a bigger 'Bollywood mind' than sujoy ghosh --so no big deal gettin a tweet from him..,but gr8 anyways -u got Harleen rite...

"They seem to have all had their reviews written before they went into the theater, if they went into the theater at all… and/or there is some backstage politics going on with Fox Star or Hrithik or Katrina and paychecks for reviewers. (i.e. They didn't them.) "-
Thanx for that info

"--I can totally understand not liking a film like Bang Bang but to not even understand that it was Harleen's story? That just proves they couldn't see anything from their position with lips puckered firmly behind Vishal Bhardwaj's ass."---
ROFLOL that was epic

Raye S. said...

Um...I am completely shallow and all I got from "Alcohol" was "Hooray!! Akshay got a haircut!" :p

odadune said...

Raye: LOL, true. He seems to be wearing short hair for Shaukeens and Baby (new Neeraj Pandey movie), after wearing it rather long for a couple years and then growing it out to grizzly bear proportions for Gabbar

Apex said...

the length of akshays hair (!) is d last thing i will notice --odadune r u an akshay fangirl? lol
wasnt shaukeen supposed 2 hav nargis--missin her

btw is filmigirls birthday 2day?
if so--hav a blast -best wishes (belated?)

itisabreadbox said...

That just proves they couldn't see anything from their position with lips puckered firmly behind Vishal Bhardwaj's ass.

lmao. classy.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl