Monday, September 22, 2014

Random thought Monday.

I wish I could work up some outrage on Deepika's behalf but I'm burnt out, friends. Besides, she's doing a fine job speaking for herself. After getting hounded for years about link-ups and boyfriends it feels like the "cleavage show" was the straw that broke the camel's back. But I don't know what else she could do beside writing an open letter. She can't afford to ban the media if she wants a career…



Have the trailer for Karthi's Madras!

I'm really looking forward to this fall's slate of films and hopefully I'll have my transportation situation worked out so I can actually go see a few in the theater! This year has been full of change for me but one thing has stayed the same--I LOVE ENTERTAINMENT! ♥


Actually, on that point, I read a pretty infuriating article in the New York Times--which is such a faux-intellectual newspaper--that was essentially all propaganda from the American media corporations insinuating that Japan needs to change its way of selling music and movies. You can read it here if you want but the main point was that American companies want to see Japan ditch physical media like CDs for streaming services like Pandora. IT'S ALL SUCH BULLSHIT! I mean a) Japan's music market is the largest in the world right now, b) mid to low-level artists do fairly well in Japan in terms of sustaining careers, and c) Japanese fans have as equally a strong relationship with their musicians (especially idols) as Indian fans do with their heroes. You would lose all of this switching to streaming because the previously tangible media would become ethereal, easy to forget.

I hadn't thought about it before but I wonder how much format changes have to do with the changing relationship between Indian fans and cinema. Torrenting (or even legally streaming) some film on your computer while also checking e-mail, playing games, etc. is very different from having to go and see a film in the theater which is different again from having to seek out the Indian grocery store in your area--sometimes traveling from far away--to rent a film. I remember when I lived in Germany as a young girl in the early 1990s and having relatives in the US mail us VHS tapes of American television shows. We would watch them over and over and developed a relationship with the material that is fundamentally different (and more tangible) than watching youtube videos.

That's not to say that I don't appreciate films (and music) available via streaming because I do, however, I feel more connected to my CDs, DVDs, vinyl records, old VHS tapes… I wonder what the result would be if one of heroes decided to play to the serious consumer. Don't put the making footage on youtube but do a well-produced documentary for the DVD release; include a well-designed booklet with an essay and full-color photos; have the hero sign a special post card to be included in the first 200 copies or something. And then you can charge a good price. Would I have bought something like this for Raavanan? Enthiran? Even Krrish 3 or DHOOM 3? ABSOLUTELY! And I'm not the only one.

Sometimes you really do get what you pay for and when what the market demands that you pay in time and effort is essentially "nothing" then you end up with dumb films that go in one ear and out the other. Give me something tangible. Don't put everything on youtube but give me something worth waiting for.

1 comment:

dingax1983 said...

The article would have been better served if it had talked about whether Japan's native artists were worried about the trend. As it is, it feels like troll concern about Japan's industry when it is really concern for the sales of their artists.

I don't think the shift to digital has killed the relationship between artist and fan. I went to a Demi Lovato and a Lady Gaga concert this year and I saw the same connection, the same drive to own everything of their favourite artists through the fan clubs, to buy the fan paraphernalia sold through the official fan clubs. Or even the intense devotion of the Harry Potter fandom, ready to buy anything that is remotely related. It is just that I am no longer plugged in to the newer forms just like my parents weren't into the kind of fan stuff I was in to.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl