Monday, September 15, 2014

It's all about Entertainment, entertainment, entertainment...

Good morning, friends! Another week is upon us and I have to apologize for not having anything written for you. Last week really kicked my butt and my brain was so tired I couldn't concentrate on any sort of plot-driven film this weekend. And, no, that's not a cue for "But you watch masala! What plot?!" One of the only things I did watch last weekend was the special bonus disc of A.B.C-Z talking that came with my 『From ABC to Z』album. These guys just take their jobs as entertainers so seriously! Working through injuries and tough situations with smiles on their faces. [And a big shout out to Tiff, who snagged me some swag from A.B.C-Z's 代々木コンサート today! Apparently Tsuka-chan did 23 handsprings in a row. In a dress. And wig. That is SRS BNS entertaining. 塚ちゃん、よくできました!]

It's kind of like Akshay Kumar just going all out to show the audience a good time. I find that dedication to so-called brainless entertainment, whether it's pop music or comedy or action films, far more compelling than actors or creators who only do introspective works or works we're supposed to take seriously. To work that hard to provide us with momentary pleasure… some small relief from the drudgery of our daily lives… it's really very moving. And it's why I will always respect the art of men like Akshay and, yes, my boys, A.B.C-Z.

A.B.C-Z, Summer Concert 2014 “Legend,” おめでとう! DVDを待っています!

Here's their newest song, "Finally Over," if you're curious:


FinallyOver by trunk405

I think it's going to be the final "dance battle" number for their super-hero drama Magical Boy Cherry's (魔法☆男子チェリーズ)--which is an epic drama in and of itself. It airs at like 2am and episodes are 20 minutes and shot on a micro budget but it's one of the best things I've seen all year. Maybe I'll try to write a thing on it when it's over. I was seriously impressed.

Entertainment, entertainment, entertainment.

The devotion to entertainment is also why I've been enjoying Sunny Leone's sojourn in Bollywood. Despite my dislike of the way women are sexualized--do I even need to get into Deepika's totally justified response to the Times of India?--Sunny really seems to own her sexualization and wield it much in the way we see certain male stars do.

And it's also why I have so little patience with the type of fan who just wants to laugh AT everything or who dismisses anything not "serious" as expendable or unworthy of notice. I guarantee that to do good slapstick comedy takes just as much physical acting skill as any heartbreaking discovery of sex and disability.

ANYWAYS, the I audio launch is currently going on and I can't even tell you how pumped I am for this film.

My buddy Alexx O'Nell told me that he told Vikram that I said that I thought that Vikram could make reading a phonebook compelling. I stand by that statement.

AND!! Have some masala trailer goodness to send you off into Monday!

1 comment:

odadune said...

It's more important that you are entertained on the weekend and get to recharge your batteries than that you get anything specific written, imo. :) This post was a good reflection on a school of entertainment that runs on showmanship.

The only thing I will say is that a) there is nothing less watchable than a comedy that doesn't work for a particular viewer and b). the creative failure of not-so-good slapstick comedies is usually the directors, not the actors. A lot of films starring people who understand physical comedy very well suffer because the people behind the cameras think this stuff is easy or obvious, IMO.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl