Friday, July 25, 2014

If you can, try to have a nice weekend.

I'll be in New York tomorrow to do some shopping and see Kick! It'll be a nice break and if you are around, do feel free to drop into the 4:15 showing in Times Square! I'm trying to avoid ALL spoilers/reviews/etc. so please don't post ANYTHING about it in the comments. I don't even want to know what the "buzz" is; I just want to have a good time, dammit! The world is going to hell and I'd like to sit in peace and forget how shit things are by watching Salman hero around for a few hours. Okay? (OKAY?!)


That's the thing, you know, what these movies can be good for. It's nice to enter masala world where evil can be defeated and rich assholes get thrown off cliffs and the little guy wins for once… it gives you a bit of courage to face the real world where occupying forces bomb schools and hospitals while claiming THEY are the victims here, not the children who are dying in the streets. *Ahem*

Anyways.

A couple things caught my interest in the industry press--Yash Raj English aka Uday Chopra's Golden Parachute is remaking Kahaani in English. This might actually do well, depending on how they remake it. I've always found shot-for-shot remakes to be pointless but plenty of other people refuse to read subtitles so… yeah.


Farhan Akhtar with the poster for Dil Dhadakne Do. My initial reaction is: WHO CARES ABOUT RICH PEOPLE SWANNING AROUND HAVING RICH PEOPLE PROBLEMS ON A CRUISE but I know it's Zoya and I know it was written by her and Reema so I'm trusting that she is going to extract some real human truths from rich people having rich people problems on a cruise, the way she did with rich people having rich people problems in Spain.

And you know? If characters get too annoying, as I'm assuming PC's will, we can all imagine the cruise gets stranded and the toilets stop working like what happened to that one boat last year.

4 comments:

Moimeme said...

Can I just say that the reason why I went on the Rajshri binge recently was just so I wouldn't have to deal with the news? And it worked. I'm now in a definitely better place mentally. :)

Have a good time watching Kick.

odadune said...

Have fun in NYC and at Kick. :)

Can't muster much interest in DDD.

Moimeme said...

Just a few more thoughts on the Sooraj Barjatya films:

Most films have a good vs. evil conflict.

Some modern films, from Hollywood and Europe, usually touted for their "realistic" or "mature" understanding of the world, have an evil vs. evil conflict (the underlying premise is that there is no such thing as good in the world).

But the Barjatya films have a good vs. good conflict. The characters have to choose which is the greater duty toward others, or which is the more honorable thing to do between two honorable courses of action. This is sufficiently rare that I think it needs to be pointed out and applauded. It is so rare, in fact, that most people who criticize these films as having "no conflict", can't even see the conflict that is in front of their eyes.

It is a cliche among writers/filmmmakers and their readers/viewers that bad/negative characters are inherently more interesting, and that the lives of good people are inherently bereft of drama or struggle. This is a false assumption. No one who is
"good" according to the world is so without constant struggle and overcoming conflicts. It is the path they ultimately choose in these struggles and conflicts that makes them good, not the lack of such conflicts. This is why I like Sooraj Barjatya's films, and this is also why I like Salman's stance that he won't play negative characters.

ashley said...

I hope you enjoy your bookstore and movie adventures this weekend!

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl