Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Eep! It's Tuesday already? How about some more Strong Women?

Do forgive me, friends. I got caught up writing on Maine Pyar Kiya this morning and lost track of time. What a wonderful film, no?

For all the "youthful rom-com" boom today, nothing I've seen has quite captured that sweet, friendly romance like Maine Pyar Kiya. Maybe in part because Bhagyashree and Salman were so young at the time. Youthful romance is more convincing from teens than 30-40 year olds playing immature.

It's all made me feel like I should watch Bobby again, too.

Dimple! Rishi! Dimple! Look!

You don't know how it pains me that she's the "butt" of the joke of the Finding Fanny trailer. I'm glad she's working but are these really the only roles out there for women of "a certain age"? Dimple, you're still a star in my books.

Ah, and speaking of ladies who are forever stars: a lovely bit of writing on Zohra Sehgal over at Tehelka.

1 comment:

odadune said...

Never apologize for writing about something that you love. :)

Dimple and the songs are two of the three things I really liked about Bobby. (The third thing is the way the climax defies the standard Romeo/Juliet no-win scenario in a distinctly Bollywood way.) Chintu the Sith Apprentice (not yet a Darth) and the constant leering at fifteen year old girls get to be a bit much for me. ;)

I honestly don't get FFF. I was kind of looking forward to it, until I saw the trailer, which managed to combine some of my less favorite things about modern masala/comedy movies (stalker and body part jokes), classical 70s masala (Kartoon Katholics from Goa), and arthouse films (quirky pretentiousness) into a very short span of time.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl