Thursday, July 3, 2014

Daingad Daingad...

You know, it's funny. I went out for dinner with a friend last night, the same friend who showed me where the Indian movie theater was back when I first moved down here in 2006 or so. We used to sit and watch old movies together and gossip about stars. We gossiped a lot about stars last night, too, although it was mostly me catching her up on gossip on all the stars of the 1990s and early-to-mid 2000s. Salman, Aamir, Shahrukh, Preity, Rani, Aishwarya and Abhishek, Lolo and Bebo, Urmila, Bipasha, Priyanka…

So much has changed since those days.

Instead of those movies that would be 80% nuanced look at conflict with Pakistan and 20% Sunny Deol negating everything by fighting his way through armies, you have movies that are 80% promotional campaign for a glossy "brand driven" consumer lifestyle and 20% recycled story content from Hollywood.

Maybe I'm feeling nostalgic.

Not necessarily for the interminable Most Feelings Ever wedding films but the simple pleasures of a wedding song.

So, it made me happy to stumble over "Daingad Daingad" this morning.

Anyways, it's Fourth of July weekend here in the USA so I'm going to barbecue up (veg only, of course!) and will see you on Monday!

2 comments:

HK said...

You're right, that's what the movies are these days.

odadune said...

Dang, Aditi Rao Hydari and Alia Bhatt could be sisters-hope thta's what they're playing in this movie.

I actually don't mind Bollywood's current mix of films-nice blend of youth films, entertainers, and pseudo-arthouse stuff, plus they've really stepped up their game on the technical craftsmanship. (Music is mediocre to bad, but it's been worse.)

I was afraid for a while that song picturizations were going to slide off the rails into boring Akhtar-esque montages, but there's enough new talent who knows how to dance, and more importantly, how to handle the extra-stylized quality of an old-school picturization to where things might turn out okay.

The trouble is that I just don't care that much about most of the kids getting into the film business now, and the clock is ticking on the toughest, the most enduring of the men and women you and your friend were talking about. I'm actually pretty curious about a lot of the stuff coming out this year and in 2015 (SRK with the Baand Baaja Bharat guy? Salman back with the HAHK guy? Akki back with the guys who did Rowdy Rathore and Special 26 respectively? Katrina in back to back spy movies and Great Expectations? Sign me up!) But beyond that, the future looks increasingly full of twerpy young punks romancing quirky-cute star daughters and painfully generic models.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl