Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The People's Poet

I was going to post the new Akshay song this morning but instead it really pains me to have to bid farewell to English actor/comedian Rik Mayall.

Like many other overly sensitive women of a certain age, I was deeply affected by Drop Dead Fred when it came out. Years later, as a bitter and angsty high schooler, I stumbled across Rik Mayall's The Young Ones, a ridiculous sitcom about four slacker students at Scumbag University. Low budget, low brow humor, low opinion of society. It came along at the perfect time for me. I watched all 12 episodes over and over and over. At the time, I was probably closest in temperament to the overly earnest, eternally frustrated "People's Poet" Rick and being able to laugh at him made it easier to laugh at myself… or something.

What I'm trying to say is this show was REALLY meaningful to me at a certain point in my life and Rik Mayall was a big part of that. And I'm really sad that I have to say good-bye. And now, if you'll excuse me, I need to find a copy of Drop Dead Fred.

No comments:

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl