Thursday, June 19, 2014

Siddharth… not my favorite but, you know, I like him okay!

I have a training to go to early tomorrow so I'm posting now! As I was trying to remember some of the films I'd wanted to see, I happened to remember the short teaser for Karthik Subbaraj's Jigarthanda. Karthik, an appealing guy who reminds me so much of all the music and movie buffs I attended university with, is the man behind the fantastic sleeper hit Pizza (which I wrote about here) and I'm dying to see what he does with a "star" cast and all the perks that come it. 

Trailers can be deceptive but this one looks like it should be something I enjoy, if not exactly blockbuster material. But you never know! Googling around it seems like there were some release date shenanigans with Kochadaiiyaan so I'm not sure when it's coming out. (And speaking of, did anybody see it? I personally find 3D animation impossible to watch so even if it's a masterpiece--a fact I doubt--I don't think I'll be seeing it.)

So, an angsting Siddharth, precocious Lakshmi Menon (I could NOT find Kumki with English subtitles dammit!), and what appears to be a whole host of character actors whose faces I know… yup.

And for something glossier and more "whimsical" is Kaaviya Thalaivan.

Something about this trailer really sets me on edge. The combination of a mundane-sounding A.R. Rahman track with that overly saturated film, and the overly jolly nostalgia… I'm getting Barfi vibes. But the trailers don't always do a film justice so I'm not writing this one off just yet.

But it does look like the kind of film Westerners would enjoy as an "exotic" fairytale…

Okay, I'll stop grousing over 30 seconds of film!! Ha!

You missed me, didn't you?!

2 comments:

swilso04 said...

Kumki is available with English subtitles on a 2-in-1 Malaysian DVD which can be purchased from myindiashopping: www.myindiashopping.com/movie.php?lang=T&mov=36260

That's the ONLY place you can get it! Will probably costs about ten bucks and take a month to ship to the US. Not sure if the movie is worth it the trouble, but the DVD is nice and nothing beats the satisfaction of finally watching a film you've been searching for for YEARS!

Also on Kaaviya Thalaivan: Vasanthabalan's other films are absolutley brilliant, and on the whole VERY dark! So either this trailer is misleading, or this is a really interesting change of tone for him. But either way, its guarenteed to be a fascinating film; there's never been anything 'world cinema'-esque (shudder) about his other work.

Filmi Girl said...

Thanks for the info!! I might order it just for that reason. Plus, I am an elephant obsessive, so I hope I will enjoy that aspect, too. LOL!

But that's good to hear about Kaaviya Thalaivan. I think it must be the teaser then. The teaser feels like somebody put it together with that type of Amelie, Barfi, etc. in mind… and just, ew. Whimsy is the worst.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl