Monday, June 9, 2014

Ask Filmi Girl...

Good morning!! I had company over the weekend so I'm afraid I don't have much to say on anything new. And, alas, with my local theater now shut down I didn't get to see Holiday.

So, I thought I'd answer some comments! (I do read all my comments, even if I don't always respond.)

From Kim T:

And here's a question, just because I'm curious: in addition to Indian films and Japanese and Korean dramas what are your other favorite international film/tv industries/genres, if you have any? Or, what kind of Hollywood films do you enjoy the most?

My taste in media runs pretty broad. As far as American products are concerned, I have to say that I haven't enjoyed anything as much as HBO's Silicon Valley in a long time. My two favorite American filmmakers are still David Lynch and John Waters. And the two new(ish) American movies I've seen this year that I really, really enjoyed were Tim's Vermeer and the Veronica Mars movie. I like things that are really earnest with a focus on the performer(s). Just really unfiltered id: The Cruise, American Movie, Twilight New Moon.

I also enjoy teen schlock: High School Musical, Pitch Perfect, The Breakfast Club, Frankie & Annette movies, etc.

International things… I quite enjoy Norwegian comedy, Irish drama, and British sci-fi. And I love old Soviet films from the 1960s and 1970s, like this one:

Basically, things like production values and "script" don't mean as much to me as heart and performance.

And music.

I don't know if anybody else who has migrated away from Hollywood has this problem, too, but I find the syrupy orchestral scores and "curated" rock soundtracks really distracting now. It's one reason I've grown to love Japanese film, with the sparse soundtracks. Or Dogme 95. Or something like O Brother Where Art Thou...

2 comments:

Thelondongirl said...

Lol though I love k dramas the soundtrack can be so distracting, as i am from london so i'm quite used to Brit comedy, every now and then I'll revisit Blackadder, I loved Misfits for a minute but Nathan leaving and the crap that went on the season before last I just could not keep watching. My tastes are not that varied I tend to obsess on one thing. Other Than watching horror from any country I'll stick to what I like till I'm sick of it

Kim T. said...

Thanks for your answer, Filmi Girl, and in a fancy blog post;)

It's funny how we do agree on a couple of things (Dogme 95, Irish films, Veronica Mars, Breakfast Club), but I've never been a David Lynch fan and I love John Waters when I see him interviewed, but I haven't really given his movies much attention (he was on Bill Maher this week and was his usual charming and hilarious self).

Makes sense, since I find that I agree with you about 75% of the time (big differences: I'll watch any Westernized romantic comedy Bollywood puts out all in hopes of another Band Baaja Baarat and I can't stand Rakesh Roshan films!)

I couldn't get through the first episode of Silicon Valley, but I did make it through the pilot of Halt and Catch Fire and we will see where that goes. As a child of the 80s, I do love the clothes and atmosphere in this one, plus Lee Pace isn't bad to look at either. Richard Armitage is a lucky man.

Re: soundtracks. I still like a big orchestral score in my costume dramas. I kind of miss when most films had one or two signature songs and that's it and they actually appeared in the movie or at least in the end credits. The "curated", music inspired by soundtracks are annoying, agreed.

Unrelated note: I watched Highway this weekend and thought it was compelling, visceral, and heartbreaking all at once. I'm still not completely sure about Bhatt (her off-screen persona doesn't help, but she's young), but she was good. I thought Randeep Hooda was even better. The scene at the end where he realizes what he's lost by the choices he's made was so well done, it kind of catches you off guard in a good way. I did read one review that didn't like how the last few frames (and I agree...too trite), but I enjoyed it a lot. Then I rewatched I Hate Luv Storys (for some unknown reason, except maybe my crush on the much maligned Imran Khan) and hate-luved it again.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl