Thursday, March 13, 2014

Thursday Post: Orange Caramel

IIFA news!! Tickets for the technical awards go on sale Saturday and Vidya Balan will be doing a four city tour but none of those cities is DC so see ya, wouldn't want to be ya, Vids.

For the Indian film industry, bringing the awards show to the United States presents an opportunity to make new fans in a key part of the world.

"America is Bollywood's second-largest market," Joseph said. "The importance of it, one can't stress more."


----

Sigh. Hindu right-wingers Hindu Janajagruti Samiti have called for a ban on Total Siyappaa and not for the correct reasons that it's a waste of Ali Zafar's talents. What's the point? The film was going to die a quick death anyways. Unless this is stealth marketing? Get some right-wing asshats to protest your film to get a little extra promotions?

----

We've got more information on Prem Ratan Dhan Payo, Salman's film with Sooraj Barjatya.

The film will be a starry affair with a star cast that includes Anupam Kher, Neil Nitin Mukesh, Deepak Debroyal, Swara Bhaskar and Samaira Rao. This is the cast which has been finalized till date.

And I forgot Salman and Sonam were together in Saawaryia! If I remember correctly, they had alright chemistry, so this might be worthwhile… also, DEEPAK DOBRIYAL!!! I love that guy! And somebody is giving NNM some work. How sweet.

(And here's Salman on the sets of Kick.)

----

I can't speak to her acting abilities but I know for sure that it's not Sunny Leone herself that's "tarnishing" Bollywood. I think director Bhushan Patel says it right:

Patel also rubbishes the rumours that claim that Leone acts pricey when the script demands her to be a little bold. Is Sunny shying away from her USP? “This is rubbish. She is the most relaxed and accommodative person I have ever met. Just because she can do certain things that doesn’t necessarily imply that she has to let herself be taken advantage of. Its’a matter of choice at the end of the day,” Patel insisted.

Just because Sunny was an adult actress doesn't mean she is obligated to get topless every time somebody tells her to. That said, I'm not sure what the point of those stories of her are--is it pro-Sunny publicity, like she's still modest, or anti-Sunny, like she's acting pricey?

----

Rajat Kapoor talks about filmmaking.

“I am not a regular filmmaker. I take a lot of time to write a particular script. I make films on issues which we face everyday but tend to ignore it. My films are for common man and any actor can serve the lead. I will never compromise my film in order to take Bollywood stars. I am really not interested,” Rajat told PTI in an interview.

(And PS: I loved his Aankhon Dekhi and to call it "quirky" feels pejorative. I hate using the word "quirky" because to me it feels like it's describing an affectation. Somebody "quirky" is somebody acting oddly for attention or to seem different. I think life is pretty weird and for a film to look at that weirdness truthfully like Aankhon Dekhi does is something completely different from the "quirky" comedy uncles that get inserted into dumb rom-coms.)

----

Imran Khan was either "dumped" from Vikramaditya Motwane’s Bhavesh Joshi or he quit. I don't necessarily trust Motwane as a good director of actors, so it's definitely for the best. He got the strangest performance out of Ranveer in Lootera and the main kid from Udaan was like a lump of wood. He seems to have a knack for visuals and for leisurely pacing but his producers need to force him to up his music game AND to get in some old pros who can deliver the acting game.

----

And this really is a red lettuce day for ol' Filmi Girl! First reports of Akshay being SUPER ANNOYED with Nargis--her career is dunzo now, right?--and then quality hijinxs from the Ayushmann-Sonam Hot Mess Press Tour. They should have just filmed these two being clueless assholes instead of making a full movie.

He quipped further, "Poor guys are a turn on for Sonam Kapoor."

Oh, you! Poor people are so funny… the way they wear off-brand jeans and can't afford to have dinner. Ha ha ha! The poors! And imagine Sonam dating one!! Oh, wait, that's not funny at all.

Too bad it's not douchebags that are a turn on for Sonam, eh, Ayushmann…

----

And get this: Shruti Hassan is NOT HAPPY about Shiney Ahuja making his comeback in Welcome Back. Gee, I wonder why. Isn't it funny how nobody thought to warn the women on a film that a convicted rapist would be joining them on set… I'm surprised Kamal Hassan hasn't caught the first plane to Dubai to supervise things. I know my father would and I'm in my 30s!!

----

Yo Yo Honey Singh wanted to use "The Lungi Dance" to show "the goras" that there is more to Indian music than "routine Bollywood stuff."

Excuse me while I die laughing.

----

Aamir Khan speaks out against skin lightening creams and the celebrities who endorse them.

Om Puri will no longer do anti-Pakistan films.

----

Gul Panang is entering politics.

----

I had imagined Sonakshi sweetly chirping away to a budgerigar but alas, it's just some dumb animated film.

----

Nooooo! DON'T WITHOLD BOMBAY SAMURAI FROM ME!!!!

----

And… Kajol says movies reflect society, not the other way around.

----

)

Another song promo featuring slightly cross-eyed generic guy aka The New Imran Khan.

----

)

Meet "Mishti," Subhash Ghai's latest "discovery."

----

)

And Korean girl group Orange Caramel sample some vintage Bollywood for their latest single… I'm not sure what I think about this yet. It is catchy, though...

3 comments:

odadune said...

Latest rumor I'd heard was that Imran was potentially making some kind of romance movie with Nikhil Advani, which seems more his speed.

Shruti has been rotating in and out of Dubai at an alarming speed; I had assumed it was just her trying to juggle Welcome Back and Gabbar and some other commitments, but I guess Shiney could be a contributing factor.

re Akki/Nargis: my initial reaction on hearing how she had bailed on the movie was "aw hell woman, you did NOT just try to mess with that man's schedule!" so I'm kind of gratified to learn his reaction was about what I predicted. But his PR team isn't doing him any favors by letting these stories play out, and frankly he needs to realize that he's just not cut out for the godfather thing. He has very little grasp of how fashion, image, screen persona all work, or why men and women react strongly to some screen personalities and not others. Trying to hire people who have existing work ethics similar to his own is understandable-the kid brother in Boss started out in TV, and supposedly Akki might be launching hardworking Kerali starlet Amala Paul in one of his productions (not necessarily opposite himself). but trying to do for Nargis what Salman did for Katrina was a fool's errand.

Filmi Girl said...

If I was Shruti, I wouldn't want to be anywhere NEAR that asshole Shiney. He had best be on his best behavior or Kamal-sir may have something to say about it.

Re: Nargis/Akshay, I think you hit the nail on the head. Akki clearly has no idea what makes people like him or anybody and is definitely better off working with people of a similar work ethic. He seems to have well by some of the hard working South heroines like Asin and Kajal, as well as my Sonakshi.

I wonder if he misread Nargis as another Katrina, who is a very hard working heroine.

odadune said...

I agree that Shruti is totally justified in her anger about Shiney being on the set; I really like her gumption in scolding the producers about it. But I just really like Shruti, period. She comes off as a tough cookie without be b****y or negative.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure "ZOMGosh Katrina 2.0" was what was going through Akshay's head re: Nargis. And maybe she did want to be Katrina 2.0 until she found out how much drudgework was involved. Although the prettiness probably blinded him for a long time, at the end of the day Akshay has no patience for people who want things handed to them on a silver platter.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl