Thursday, March 20, 2014

Thursday! Let's get happy!

Happy Pharrell!!


----

But the Big B is sad that he's always just playing an old guy now.

----

Kajol inadvertently highlights the problem with the tag "women-oriented" while saying talking about doing a new film:

“The script has to be good. I don’t look whether (the film) is women-oriented or not because I believe everyone contributes for the film and not just one person. It is about everybody in the film. The script has to be fabulous,” Kajol told PTI in an exclusive interview. Kajol said the home venture may take-off by year-end.

See? While it's really great to see female protagonists, when they get singled out as "women-oriented" there is a certain part of the audience that automatically feels that the film isn't for them. And that's it's going to be preachy or just an ego-trip for a lead actress. I have to admit to feeling that way, too. As if I'm supposed to support something just because it has a woman in it.

Basically, instead of "woman oriented roles" Kajol and I both prefer "author-backed roles."

But, you know, the more films are told from a female perspective without making a big deal of it as A WOMAN IS IN THIS, the more it will be normalized. Despite Queen have the potential to be tagged as "woman-oriented," the promotions didn't feel like that. Instead it was "Kangana-oriented," like she was a hero. Vidya in Kahaani felt the same way. I'm splitting hairs here but that's why you love me, right?

(Oh ho ho! Kajol and Sonakshi hate each other's guts?!)

----

Kangana! Kangana! Kangana!

You are never spotted hanging out with the younger actors like Varun Dhawan, Arjun Kapoor, Ranveer Singh…

You won’t believe it, but I simply can’t talk with people my age. Often my mother scolds me, “Why do you talk like a 50-year-old woman! You are 26, behave your age. You talk as if you’ve seen life, everything is over and you’ve reached retirement.” Perhaps, I’m mature for my age. I can’t play on PlayStation. I find it embarrassing. Varun is my age. But I can’t figure out what to talk with him.

Kangs, can you stop being so precious for two seconds? No? Okay! I'll just go with it. I wonder what she does talk about. Her English has gotten quite good but I'm sure she's more eloquent in Hindi.

----

Poor Nawaz! I hope this doesn't stop him from trying to be both a) honest and b) nuanced in his interviews. Apparently he said something about cliched romance tropes and Rishi Kapoor took offense and went on a tirade about it.

Well guess what? Rishi wasn’t about to let up on this one! He blasted, “You (Nawazuddin) haven’t done it (running around trees) in your life; neither will you get a chance to do it. And you aren’t capable of doing it either. You don’t have the image; you don’t have the talent.” And Nawaz shot back, “He can’t say that, I will improve myself. If I had to romance in a film, I will do it differently, whether it works or not. I respect Rishi Kapoor, I am his big fan. If he feels I am an average actor, it is a compliment. Actually, I am below average. He is extremely talented, and I am still trying to be an actor.”

Poor guy!! Getting on the wrong side of Rishi… but I understood what he meant. You have to make the tropes work for YOU, not the other way around. You can coast on running around trees but in the end, the trees are running around YOU. *deep thoughts after half a cup of coffee*

(Also, Nawaz has signed a "comedy-thriller" opposite Chitrangada Singh! (TOI link) Very cool! I like her screen presence.)

----

As long as I'm in TOI-land: Santosh Sivan talks about his stories:

"I don't see all this as work. That's why I shoot very few films as I want to enjoy every bit of my shooting. I want to be a boat that can travel to the interior and I don't want to be ferry shooting one film after another," he added.

What an interesting guy! I do like his work…

----

Wait a minute. I know a lot of people liked Jab Tak Hai Jaan but I don't remember the Katrina-Shahrukh chemistry being part of the love, just the SRK part…

So, what's up with casting Katrina opposite ol' Fair & Handsome again?

----

Hot on the heels of the "Ranbir is phoning it in for Bombay Velvet" rumors come Jagga Jasoos reshoots. Is it Ranbir? The combination of Ranbir and Anurag Basu fluffing each other's egos? I need more information on this!! On-set spies, where are you?!

----

And somebody better prepare the Whambulance for the other Anurag because he's got more competition for Christmas with Welcome Back: Shiney The Rapist Returns But Isn't Mentioned Here Because We'd All Like To Forget He Existed

----

Dippy for Shuddhi.

----

Bebo to do an item for Gabbar.

----

Some star is going to buy a 19 million dollar private island off the coast of Dubai. "Some star" has too much money.

----

Kirron Kher gets egged and not because she and her husband specialize in obnoxious comedy aunties/uncles.

----

Hat tip to The BBC for pointing me to this gem from Bollywood Gandu!

----

Samrat & Co. trailer has shades of RDJ's Sherlock but I can dig it…

----

Inam trailer with English subs! I don't think I've posted this yet.

2 comments:

DPSF said...

I think Kat and SRK had a very good chemistry. Much more than SRK-Dippy for example. Saans is a good example I think (especially the phonebooth part). If I remember correctly, even you found it "kind of hot" at the time :)

But then there were too many things to talk about, like Yash Chopra's death, the clash with SOS, the "is it worth all the hype" debate, the script problems, the 100-crore club... I must say I don't remember what critics and reviews said about the acting.

odadune said...

I wouldn't say that nobody liked the SRKatrina jodi, but certainly I've seen more people against it than in favor. (but it's hard to tell how of that is "this particular pairing doesn't work for me" and how much is the usual drumbeat of "dammit, where's Kajol?")

I don't know what's up between Kajol and Sona. I'd seen the video they're talking about, and it looks like Sona turns towards Kajol as if expecting some kind of acknowledgment and Kajol very pointedly ignores her. Sona's not really been that heavily gossipped about w/ regard to Ajay.

I think I am going to name a certain Kapoor "Darth Rishi": all he lacks is the magic long range strangulation powers.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl