Monday, March 31, 2014

Monday Post!! Good morning!

For those who don't follow me in other places, I injured myself pretty badly last week. (Basically I tripped over my own feet/the curb and face planted gracelessly in the middle of the street.) Alas, I had no burly hero to piggyback me home and no filmi maa to hover and feed me delicious things and my weekend was spent being miserable and achy and I didn't get to do any of the writing I wanted to. I feel like it's the fitting end to this ridiculous month!

Ah!! March can kiss my butt. Let's get April started! A brand new page, a brand new springtime! Although sometimes--like this March--I get kind of frustrated with and tired of Bollywood, I know I would miss it SO MUCH if I stopped writing every morning. I hope you all enjoy reading my ramblings. Even if I get things wrong sometimes or you disagree or I get excited about stupid stuff or I post weird video clips, I'm happy you all are along for the ride with me. I started writing all those years ago because I didn't know where to find a good conversation about Bollywood movies so I thought I would make one on my own. It's been a long journey and I've learned a lot from you all and from the films themselves; and my knowledge of my own tastes has become clearer.

There's more good conversation now than when I started writing but one thing hasn't changed--Bollywood still gets no respect or love from "serious" films types, especially in the West. I hope we can change that. I was feeling to crappy and restless to sit through any film this weekend but I watched about 20 minutes of this 1960s Japanese spy film called Ironfinger that's part of the Criterion Collection on Hulu and it really made me sad that Criterion would never consider giving the same loving treatment to a film like Jewel Thief, a real Bollywood masterpiece of an equivalent genre.

Well, some Hindi films seem to be getting through, not just "world cinema" dreck like The Lunchbox.

Anyways. Let's see what silly season has in store for us!


----

Queen is still going gangbusters! CONGRATULATIONS to Kangana and the team. She really has worked hard to make a career for herself and I couldn't be prouder that the small town girl from Gangster can now converse smoothly with Rajeev Masand in English and open a film as a solo hero.

----

The Golden Kela Awards have been announced! As always, a mix of the truly awful and the massy stuff that critics love to rag on.

"Worst" actor: Ajay Devgn for Himmatwala

"Worst" actress: Sonakshi Sinha for R…Rajkumar

"Worst" supporting actor: Aditya Roy Kapur for Yeh Jawaani

"Worst" supporting actress: Three way tie for the ladies of Race 2

"Worst" director: Sanjay Leela Bhansali

"Worst" film: Himmatwala, which also bagged the RGV Ki Aag award for "Most Pointless Sequel."

Well, that's what happens in a (anti-)popularity contest. Somehow it's more fun for people to hate on Sonakshi than to vote for actually terrible performances like MY vote for the real "worst" actress of 2013: Pooja Chopra in Commando. Now THERE was a stinker of a performance.

----

I have to admit that I'm really looking forward to Neil Nitin Mukesh making his villainous debut opposite Vijay. I'll be keeping an eye on this film. Oh, yes. NNM, if you can prove yourself an entertaining foil to Vijay, all will be forgiven. (And send me a copy of Shortcut Romeo so I can review it. COME ON! DO IT!)

----

A conversation with Om Puri from Newsweek Pakistan:

How is today’s Bollywood different from when you started out?

The 1950s and 60s were Bollywood’s golden years. We had some amazing filmmakers—Bimal Roy, Raj Kapoor, Mehboob Khan, Guru Dutt. They made excellent films on social causes and those films had music and dance, too. There was poetry in the music. It was sweet to the ear. Nowadays there is no poetry, no music, no sweetness, just “item numbers.” Some art films of today, though, are still fantastic.

I feel you on that, Om Puri.

But am I the only one wondering what happened with the domestic violence charges and that biography? It looks like he's been formally charged?

----

The movie rights of Neeraj Pandey's Ghalib Danger purchased.

----

Salman speaks out for small films! As he should! Go small films! You can find some real gems in those small films.

----

Re-live some old time filmi gossip with Kamal Amrohi's daughter.

“I am sick of listening to all these lies in the Indian media,” says a flustered Rukhsaar Amrohi. “I don’t wish to undermine their relationship, but I do regret the fact that Baba married her. Baba never divorced Meena Kumari, and I say this with full authority because I have all the letters that were exchanged between them. They just couldn’t live together due to ego clashes,” she says. “People poisoned Meenaji against my father and the two grew apart,” she adds.

----

Inam is getting pulled from theaters in Tamil Nadu?!

----

Silly season round-up!

Yami Gautam gets reamed on twitter for promoting fairness creams.

KJo parties with the Real Housewives of Mumbai.

Pompy tweets a Bebo pic from the sets of Gabbar.

Sonam Kapoor is living in fantasy land.

And possibly the greatest gift (to me) would be a bicker fest between Aamir Khan and Anurag Kashyap over the December 2014 release date. Please let this happen. I have the wahmbulance ready and waiting.

----

A real treat!! The Evolution of Bollywood music from Penn Masala!

----

Song promo from Samrat & Co. makes me think this movie might be really, really awful… but in an entertaining way. HE WALKS AWAY FROM AN EXPLOSION ALL MICHAEL BAY STYLE!

----

Holiday behind-the-scenes!

3 comments:

eliza bennet said...

Get well soon!

And I love to read your site even though I rarely agree with you :)

odadune said...

Ow-ow-ow. Hugs, and I hope you get feeling better. aLways enjoy reading even when I don't have anything to say. Shotgun and Danny Denzongpa supposedly joined twitter recently-had you heard about that?

and yeah, Sonam in front of a microphone is pretty much baby Bebo with a larger vocabulary.

Gauri/Kjo: least impressive cast of thousands selfie ever. Gauri looks nice though.

Holiday: I won't lie to you, it's just darned cool to see Bollywood action evolve from the sped-up wrestling matches of the 60s/70s to the borrowed Jackie Chan/John Woo stylings of the 90s/00s, to hiring the Skyfall guy.

Gabbar: kept holding out hope that Bebo was playing the wife instead of the item girl, and it looks like she's officially the latter, but Bebo onscreen is never a bad thing.

Ghalib Danger: joy, yet another gangster movie /sarcasm. on the plus side he seems to have better things to do than direct it.

Bombay Velvet drama: I thought that was officially delayed to 2015 and Darth Chintu's son was flogging his guest appearance in Roy as a big deal?

Filmi Girl said...

@Eliza :) Thank you!

@Odadune I think we should only refer to Ranbir as "Chintu's son" from now on. It just seems fitting somehow. I thought they'd sorted the dates, too, but then I saw that piece about Aamir laying into somebody associated with BV and couldn't resist linking.

Ghalib Danger: I wonder if he wrote in the parts where people walk around in slow motion?

Holiday: I'm tentatively optimistic because Akshay + action.

Sonam x mic: Hilarious. The kind of silly season story I'm okay with. It's like wind blowing through the trees~

And thank you! I've been in a foul mood the last few days and a mood made fouler because I'm too cranky to concentrate on anything--even films! How ironic to finally have a good stretch of time to sit and watch some 3+ hour films but be unable to do so. :(

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl