Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Tuesday: It's not a 'lip job;' it's a 'lip… JOB.'

Soha Ali Khan to star in a film on the Delhi riots? I have to say, I was strongly reminded of these types of films--and the sort in the article just below the cut--when I read this excellent editorial from N+1 magazine on the state of world literature.

Here are soft-focus word-pictures of fig jam and recipes for spring salads, the glimpse of “a sprig of absinthe leaves used as a bookmark,” and rural poets lifting their wives’ yellow cotton dresses and fucking a tergo beside the water barrel still glinting in the moonlight. Late Ondaatje will give a French character a Spanish name, so that another character can reflect on its brilliance: “Segura. The irony of his name was not lost on him.” Shifting arbitrarily from region to region with spurious worldliness, these books inspire jet-setter jacket copy: “Spanning three continents . . .” It’s not even as if the novelist were desperate to match the American imperium or international finance in scope. It’s more like the writer is writing for a global West Village.

----

Have a bullshit article about how Bollywood has "discovered" small town India.

For Mahadevan, tangible stories drawn from real locations are not a new phenomenon. "In the 1950s and 1960s, it was quite common for Hindi films to be set in the villages," he said, drawing attention to titles like Do Bigha Zameen and Naya Daur.

"It was only in the 1980s and 1990s that the balance tilted towards larger-than-life fantasies," he argued. "As a result, first London and New York, and then Bangkok, Singapore, New Zealand and Australia, emerged as cosmetic backdrops for our cinema."

Foreign locations inevitably continue to pop up in Bollywood films but, in Chauhan’s words, "big cities have been all but exhausted as a source of stories and visual inspiration".

Look, when your examples for this alleged 'new trend' are Udaan and Dedh Ishqiya, there's an immediate disconnect for me. First of all, last year's biggest hit was Dhoom 3, which took place in Chicago. Second of all, there were plenty of globetrotting films in the optimistic 1960s--Evening in Paris, Love in Tokyo, etc. and 'city films' in the 1980s and 1990s--I mean, hello, Khalnayak, etc. Third of all, these small town films being named are for a very specific audience of educated elites in places like Mumbai and London and Toronto aka not living in those small towns. The people in the small towns are watching Dhoom 3, which, as mentioned, took place in Chicago.

The longer I hang around Bollywood media, the more I hate these alleged trend pieces that cherry pick examples to fit a narrative.

(And, seriously, Dedh Ishqiya wasn't this big hit! Oh, that's right… accuracy isn't the point of one of these 'trend pieces.')

----

Speaking of, Bombay Bicycle Club! They should hang with the "every Indian film I see makes me want to visit India" blogger giving lines like this:

“I think, in a way, it sort of gave Jack that chance to sort of get outside of London life. It [India] is an inspiring place that starts creativity, I suppose. It found its way into the music this time; if you listen to the album there are those Bollywood influences. It’s all really exciting."

Yeah, I listened to the track in question. It doesn't sound like anything I've heard in a film.

----

I saw an article on this yesterday but this one is better written. Basically, Hrithik and Sonam are shilling for Chinese cell phones.

Or you can just watch the ad.

----

Anushka Sharma addresses the lip job rumors with a blog post.

Having stated this fact let me very vehemently assure everyone that I have by no means gone 'under the knife ' or done any kind of 'plastic surgery' or undergone any intrusive procedure . This was my decision and was done for the sake of my look in my upcoming film Bombay velvet,a period drama where I play a jazz singer in the 1960's - 70's . And it was taken from the referencing of that time.

I'm not sure I remember actresses in the 1960s and 1970s using fillers and injectables but I suppose her film takes place in the same 1970s Gunday does…

It's a silly and rather disingenuous post and I think she was better off not addressing the rumors at all. She's a heroine; heroines trade on their looks; she got the idea in her head she needed fuller lips and voila. If anything, she should have learned from Kagnana and Katrina who both had ill-fated 'plumped' lips that got mocked by the media and left well enough alone.

----

If Adah Sharma decamps for South, I wouldn't blame her. I've liked her since 1920! Good luck, dear!!

----

Khakee sequel?

----

Has Fitoor--the Great Expectations adaptation with Katrina and Aditya Roy Kapur--been shelved?! That would have been the perfect casting for this, too. Is there a soggier "Pip" out there right now than Aditya Roy Kapur?! GIVE ME THIS FILM!

----

Why do I feel like there is more to this story than Lady Producer is Evil Bitch? I don't trust that narrative.

----

Finally, will nobody help 101 year old Zohra Sehgal?! SHE'S A FILMI TREASURE, DAMMIT!

3 comments:

DPSF said...

Are they trying to make us believe that Hrithik ans Sonam could have been children at the same time?
The ad is kind of sweet (as long as men don't actually believe it's a good way to seduce a woman - secretly take tons of pics and then show her that you're a creepy stalker)

I guess Anushka wrote a post because she doesn't like the result herself... sort of a "stop reminding me about it" signal. Luckily these things resorb with time.

why do these women think lip fillers will look good? Does it ever look good and natural?

Filmi Girl said...

@DPSF You and I must be cut from the same cloth because those were EXACTLY my thoughts on the ad. LOL!!! If she was 10, shouldn't he be 20? :P

I don't know why these actresses do this to their lips. I wonder if it's a facial dysmorphia? Like they see their features so often that it's hard for them to be objective about it, so they take out their insecurities on their faces?

odadune said...

re Gabbar/Shabina: I saw somewhere and then lost again a twitter account by a female assistant director who seemed to be having a pretty positive experience on the film. Also, alot of the crew are probably Tamil/Telugu, where they seem to have even fewer female producers. (the director spent time in America and seems to go in for comparatively strong female characters, so he is perhaps less put out about Shabina bossing him around.). The business with the art designer sounds pretty much like SLB vs that costume designer on Ram leela-two "artistic" types butting heads-and why is anyone surprised that Shabina is alot like her mentor in that respect.

Also, keep an eye out for Akki's performance at Zee Cine awards ceremony-supposedly Ranveer enjoyed it so much that he hopped onstage and hugged him. that part will be something to see.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl