Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Tuesday: Ignorance is bliss!

I was going to talk about how much fun I had watching Boss but I think I'll save that for a review since there was a lot to discuss. (BOSS! What a cast! What a script! Delightful!)

Instead, I'll start off with Juhi Chawla pulling a "Get off my lawn, you kids!" about women in Bollywood these days.

"There is so much noise around like size zero, public relations, marketing...I hope these girls are also enjoying themselves," added the 46-year-old as she shared how she is "not really happy" about this aspect of Hindi filmdom today.

I hear you, Juhi. I'm not happy about that stuff myself. Every era has it's tradeoffs… the curse of the 2010s seems to be the corrosive nature of Hollywood's money.

----

The perennial problem of local industries: what to do about dubbed films from Mumbai. West Bengal is currently struggling with this.

Bengali film superstar Prosenjit Chatterjee said, “We have nothing personal against any producers. In fact we have high regard for legendary producer-directors like late Yashji. But as Bengali film industry is poised for a turnaround with audiences returning to the theatres again, any cinematic work dubbed in the language and screened will create an unfair situation. Our gentle request is please stop this. I would have talked to Yashji about this had he been around … If any artiste from here still wishes to be part of any such dubbing venture we will be forced to boycott him/her.”

I do appreciate the quality uncle guilt trip from Prosenjit Chatterjee, too. Aditya just can't measure up...

----

Sonakshi Sinha opts out of a Mani Ratnam film and I can't say I blame her. I'm not sure what the point of this piece was--are we supposed to think that she's acting pricy? But as much as I'd love to see some of those projects, really, what's in it for her? I get the feeling that she was frustrated with the Lootera experience and it will be some time before a director can tempt her back into doing a 'serious' project.

Plus, we all know Mani Ratnam's Tamil projects are best; if he wanted her for only the Hindi version, she's better off skipping it.

----

From Ranbir to Varun to… Jackky Bhagnani. Why don't you tell us about how much skinnier you are than other heroines, huh, Nargis?

But fair play to Jackky. He is really hanging in there. I wonder if they keep costs low enough that these films make back juuuust enough to finance the next one.

----

Pooja Bhatt is going to fight Vipul Shah over the use of the title Holiday.

When I first read the title of the article, my brain filled in "Pooja Chopra" and I had to laugh at what kind of gold digger would fight with her sugar daddy. Pooja Bhatt makes more sense.

----

Raaz 4 is on hold while a new film called 3am with Rannvijay Singh is set to go. If I'm remembering right, I quite liked what I've seen from Rannvijay Singh.

----

Have some photos of Bebo eating ice cream because who wouldn't want that. Ice cream is one endorsement I can get behind.

----

The worst interview ever with Abhay Deol but I do appreciate the way the interviewer keeps trying to needle him on One by Two.

How do you react to the One By Two jokes on radio and the social networking sites?

(Laughs) I haven't heard any yet. And ignorance is bliss!

And then Abhay sneaks in a bitter jibe at desi audiences, hinting that the Westerners just 'got' his soggy rom-com more.

What was the response to your film at the Berlin Film Festival?

The German audience liked it a little more than our desi viewers. (Laughs) I tried to marry traditional Bollywood with something more contemporary. And marrying an alien to an earthling is difficult!

What? Did you edit in Jadoo for the Berlin screening?

----

Priyanka?

----

Trailer for Cuckoo! This looks interesting…

----

Little Akshat on the Ellen show!! What a charmer this kid is!!!! Salman, how about bringing this kid on for a special two hero dance in Kick?

----

And… a couple of song teasers:

(I'm really looking forward to this one! VARU----N!!!)

----

AND THE TEASER TO END ALL TEASERS!

WHAAAAT?! MORE KHILADI PLEASE!

3 comments:

odadune said...

Will look forward to your Boss review...there were parts of it that didn't appeal to me (I had been hoping they would make the family patriarch a little more OSHA-compliant than the one in Pokkiri Raja for instance) but the parts that worked, really worked.

I love Deepika's horrified reaction in the Zee Cine preview.

odadune said...

Forgot to say, re: Sona and Mani Ratnam: it may just have been fear of being on the bottom of the pecking order. Aish is someone who's worked with the director (and probably the cinematographer, if it's Rajiv "Kandukondain" Menon). Ratnam is also either friends w/ or related to Kamal Hassan, so Shruti is also likely to get preferential treatment. She may also be competing for roles w/ Shruti, and see her as a rival that way.

Filmi Girl said...

Good point on Sona and Mani Ratnam!! I hadn't even thought about that but you're right. She really is better off not getting involved in that.

Work with Vishal Bhardwaj instead, Sona! Tell Sasha to put in a good word for you.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl