Thursday, February 13, 2014

Thursday: A magic will happen… maybe.

We bid a fond farewell to a legend of Tamil cinema Balu Mahendra today.

In a recent interview, the doyen had said “Good cinema is a tricky area. When a director who has absolute command of his craft narrates a story in a simple and honest manner, there is a possibility of good cinema”. He says ‘possible’ because, “A magic MUST happen to make it a good cinema”, he adds.

I have so much to learn...


----

First reviews are out for Gunday and it seems to be exactly as advertised:

Ali is evidently about frills and less about substance.

The Emirates 24/7 reviewer also suggests Arjun Kapoor should get himself some acting lessons… I'll definitely be keeping tabs on the reviews as they come out.

----

I would like to continue to have unbridled Singh at all times. At. all. times.

"Looking back, there was a suit that I wore to a talk show that looked ghastly. It wasn't the outfit per se, but it just didn't match the sets and was rather jarring to look at," said Ranveer referring to the Sanchita wolf print suit he wore to a TV show in which he was a guest along with Amitabh Bachchan, Deepika Padukone and Farhan Akhtar.

"IT WASN'T THE OUTFIT PER SE"

God, I love this guy. Keep on, shining on, you crazy cat! Where that wolf print anywhere you please!

----

Aamir and I share a concern about the lack of good biographies and histories on the Indian film business. There's the mega-Kapoor book and that excellent volume on Sholay but… yeah. More books!

Speaking to PTI, he said: "I am interested in history, especially film history. I feel that in India we don't record history, biographies as much as we should. I love reading and I miss that.

"As film personalities we all should know and learn what happened when films were made in the past. Like what sort of discussions were there, the challenges and issues. I want to know about them.

----

Bollywood Life is still on the case of Gulaab Gang vs Gulabi Gang. They're reporting Kiran Rao has come down Team Guabli Gang.

----

Jackky Bhagnani's upcoming Youngistan is under legal fire--not from potential viewers but from Pepsi. Pepsi claims ownership of the word and they don't want Jackky Bhagnani stinking up their brand. (My interpretation.)

----

Asin wants to do meatier roles. I empathize although she does have a real talent for giving life to otherwise two-dimensional heroines.

----

More IIFA preparations.

----

Preity Zinta says she's not in financial hot water despite many reports to the contrary.

----

A truly bizarre murder plot is being alleged that names Ganesh Acharya, Daisy Shah, and Rajniesh Duggal.

----

Sooraj Pancholi appears before the court but please be careful if you search more information on this story because many outlets are using Jiah's autopsy photos to illustrate their articles and it's really disturbing to stumble across them. The article I linked to is 'safe.'

----

I think "Baby Doll" has to be the best Sunny picturization to date! Although girlfriend could log a few more dance classes… still, I'm sure the straight guys out there are loving it.

----

Wait… Pepsi doesn't want to be associated with this? Huh? (Jackky, buddy, give it up already.)

----

This had me smiling on a snowy DC morning… Billa Ranga, at least judging from the teaser, seems like my kind of film.

1 comment:

Yunus Perveez said...

The Ranveer Singh quote is pretty hilarious as it's EXACTLY what I tweeted when seeing the Anupama Chopra show

"asimburney: This Anupama Chopra actor's round table is hilarious. Ranveer is lost like the sign language interpreter at Mandela's funeral
asimburney: There's also a moment where he seems embarrassed when amitabh is looking at what he's wearing"

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl