Friday, February 21, 2014

Friday: Are we ready for a return to the 'one-pack'?

Highway is at my theater!! YES! I've been dipping my toes in reviews and I'm still not sure if I'll like it but at least I'm not convinced that I'll hate it, which considering Imtiaz's last couple of films is a victory in and of itself. Critics I sometimes agree with are disappointed and other critics I sometimes agree with are over-the-moon. It's really going to be a tossup which way I go. Plus, I'm really thrilled to see little Alia getting good reviews for her acting. I thought she was wonderful in Student of the Year.

On a related note, I do hope Gulabi Gang makes it to Netflix Streaming or Hulu. It seems like this documentary would have some interest in the West.


----

Tickets still available for IIFA… although I wonder if it's the like $5,000 seats left or the $50 ones. Although I don't wonder enough to check on the website.

And the nominations are out. It's the same batch of suspects but boy does it warm my heart to see this:

Performance in a Comic Role

Arshad Warsi - Jolly LLB

Riteish Deshmukh - Grand Masti

Varun Sharma – Fukrey

Performance in a Negative Role

Rishi Kapoor - D-Day

Rishi Kapoor – Aurangzeb

Supriya Pathak - Goliyon Ki Rasleela- Ramleela

Vivek Oberoi - Krrish 3

I'd have put Kangs in the Negative Role category instead of Supporting Female but I'm glad she was recognized.

----

Aamir is ramping up efforts to bring Satyamev Jayate down South by getting Mohanlal as his brand ambassador.

----

I'm just going to leave this here:

I heard Priyanka Chopra saying on television that the 1971 war led to a partition between India and Bangladesh. The ignorance in Bollywood is unbelievable. I think Indian audiences are tired of being taken for granted."

(I hope he's exaggerating because even I know that's wrong.)

----

Aishwarya is not playing a Kalari warrior… yet? I hope that 'yet' is there because I would like to see that movie.

----

I cannot get enough of adorable Akshat Singh!!!!

It was his first visit abroad, but Akshat couldn't get to see anything of the US.

"I flew in with my parents. We just shot my dance and came back. But I travelled all over America in my dreams," said the boy with big dreams.

AWWWW! HOW CUTE IS HE?!

----

Are we tired of the six pack? Ready for a return to the 'one pack' of yesteryear's heroes?

But if a man is fit and can afford a full-time trainer (they come dime a dozen in Mumbai suburbs, ready to roll out a wannabe actor), getting a six pack these days is a two-month job. Starvation and training for 4-5 hours a day at the gym does it. Steroids and supplements help, too, though no A-list star has yet gone on record to say he took to artificial measures.

*oh snap*

I liked the ending the best:

What the six-pack trend has done to the regular guy in India, his envy complex, his relationship with his gym and his body may be another story; but what it has done to the Bollywood hero is clear. It has made him a look-alike. Cinema will eventually remember originals.

Damn straight.

----

Stay strong, Prabhudeva. Don't let Hollywood push you around.

----

So much lack of talent and vapid expressions in one place! Freida and Nargis together at last!

----

Have a new Kyary Pamyu Pamyu video!! There's a polar bear playing electric guitar.

1 comment:

Danny Bowes said...

I think the Bangladesh/partition thing was exacerbated by some historical fuzzines in Gunday. The commenters over at Ebert dot com were pissed, too.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl