Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Tuesday Post: I got a snow day!

Everything about this article about PR and films angers me.

Does this mean the content has a very limited role in it? Pratim says, "Content is only king for a pauper film. The smaller the film, the content becomes more and more crucial. For bigger films, you can go about with just about anything and a few identifiable elements like roaring dialogues, item numbers, crazy action. The review also becomes more critical for smaller films. Films like 'Chennai Express', 'Krrish 3' and 'Dhoom 3' got such negative reviews and yet laughed all the way to the bank. They are largely review-proof."

Do I even need to write a rebuttal on this paid-for-by-a-public-relations-firm piece? Leaving aside the fact that the mangling of the idiom 'cried all the way to the bank' is one of my biggest pet peeves, the common consensus among industry types that mass films are all equally nonsensical and stupid is just wrong. I mean, okay, the critics might treat them all that way but for those mass films, the audience is what matters. If your only marker of a hit film is cash money, then, sure, a huge publicity drive and hype and a big star will probably get people in the door to see just about anything.

BUT there is also the question of trust and of building a relationship with the audience. When a star squanders an audience's good will, they are far less likely to want to shell out to see the next one from that star. It wasn't just Aamir's 'star power' that brought people out to Dhoom 3 despite negative reviews, it was their trust that he would deliver a good product. I'm actually not sure how Krrish 3 was received among audiences. I mean, I loved it but, again, I trust Hrithik (and Rakesh) to deliver a product that I will connect with.

More interesting to me this past fall was the reaction among Shahrukh's fan base to Chennai Express. It wasn't just that the film got negative reviews like the others mentioned but he got negative reviews from some of his strongest supporters in the media, including Anupama Chopra, who literally wrote the book on him. Will there be fans less likely to cut him slack for his next picture? Will they wait until the second weekend to make sure it's going to be good?

These are things not captured when you reduce all commercial films to that ridiculous caricature of 'bad reviews; big box office.' I mean if that was the case, why didn't Rascals become a top earner? Where is that Ra.1 sequel? Why is Tees Maar Khan considered a flop when it actually did not-that-bad business?

If Bollywood types really want to have the Hollywood model where you spend a bajillion dollars on a crap film like Transfomers that everybody will see once and then forget about immediately after it earns a bajillion and one dollars, this is the right way to do it.


----

Bollywood Life, as always, asks the important questions: IS THE ALIA BHATT-ARJUN KAPOOR LINK UP JUST FOR PUBLICITY?!?!?!

A) Probably and I don't care.

But also B) I've noticed good old Siddharth Malhotra hasn't been trotted down the link-up rumor mill. Good for him! It's one of the most annoying PR tricks.

I quite like Sid. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

Sidharth is aware that there is a pool of young talent in Bollywood at the moment including the likes of Ranbir Kapoor, Ranveer Singh, Sushant Singh Rajput, Varun Dhawan, and he knows that he has to be on top of his game with every film if he wants to survive this race. “When SOTY released, me and Varun felt its just two of us and we are going to take the industry by storm after all Karan Johar launched us. We thought we are the ‘it’ people but suddenly there were six options.

“All of us are over conscious about the competition. More than among us, it’s the competition with the audience as they have a lot of choice. So if I don’t perform right now, I might miss the boat.”

----

Naseer and Pankaj Kapoor to star together.

----

Aishwarya to return in a Mani Ratnam film?? Maybe?? I just hope it's a Tamil one and not a Hindi one.

----

Jagga Jasoos for May 2015.

----

I've grown to really hate John Abraham's smug face. I'm so disappointed in him, in his post-Vicky Donor attitude.

Here he is talking about 1911:

"We are very excited about it going on floors," said John.

"We are doing a lot of research on the film. It's a true story. For people, who want to understand what kind of a film it is, it is like 'Lagaan' meeting 'Chak De! (India)'. I would hope and say that it's even better," the 41-year-old said here during an endorsement shoot for the Hockey India League team Delhi Waveriders.

Yeah, good luck with that. And don't pretend I didn't suffer through Goal! because I DID.

----

Sonakshi and Arjun begin Tevar.

Here's a question, though, is anybody really all that impressed with Arjun? I couldn't make it through Ishaqzaade because it was so bad and I know he got panned in Aurangzeb. Yet, he's working with some A-list talent… Is it just a lack of 'names' that has the industry excited about him? Unless something amazing happens, I can't help but feel that I'm looking at our new era Zayed Khan.

----

Katrina is the new face of L'Oreal. I wonder if this means we'll see her at Cannes this year?!

----

And the Mumbai Boss recap of Koffee with Akshay!

Later on when Johar asked why Kumar rarely worked with Bollywood’s big production companies, choosing instead to do films with lesser known filmmakers, Kumar pointed out that the Chopras and Johars of the industry never gave him a break. The only time he had a naughty answer about a fellow filmy personality was in response to Johar’s question about which Bollywood person he thought needed a stylist, therapist and gym membership. All three answers were Sajid Khan.

Hee! Oh, I do love the Khiladi.

----

I have no idea what the truth of the matter is but I did enjoy the self-righteous battle between Ajith and Vijay fans in the Behindwoods comments section. Oh, film fans~ never change!

----

Maybe I just really love Jimmy Shergill but Darr@The Mall actually looks pretty good.

No comments:

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl