Thursday, January 2, 2014

Thursday Post: Welcome to 2014!!

Suchitra Sen is in hospital. Get well soon, ma'am!

Sorry for the lack of chatter today but this middle-of-the-week holiday thing is brutal! Oof!


----

This Alia Bhatt-Parineeti Chopra thing is just so much hot air. Alia, sweetie, next time don't let Karan-uncle bait you into bad mouthing your colleagues. Take some cues from Katrina.

----

Did nobody learn from RGV KI AAG?! Leave the classics alone and remake the flawed but promising films.

----

The TOI has all the debutant directors of 2014.

We know which one I want to see:

Farhad-Sajid

Film: It's Entertainment

Known for writing some masala entertainers like Golmaal, Bol Bachchan and Chennai Express, these dialogue writers will helm their first film with Akshay Kumar, Tamannaah and Sonu Sood.

----

Tiger Shroff… Filmi Girl, destroyer of star sons is sharpening her claws.

From an interview on his debut.

How has your process of turning actor been?

It’s been long and educating. I owe a lot of this to Sajid (Nadiadwala; producer) sir and Sabbir (Khan; director) sir. I was a blank sheet of paper before this film. Honestly, I didn’t think I had it in me, but I guess they both must have seen something in me.

Something other than your father? For your sake, Tiger, I really hope so.

You want to join this list, now would you?

----

Is Shahrukh making a documentary about his cricket team or is he just filming things for some creepy reason? WHO KNOWS!

----

I understand why Madhuri is saying things like this but it makes me sad to see her dismiss so much of her past work and her colleagues past work as just "eye candy," when there was a lot of depth to character like Ganga in Khalnayak, even if she wasn't the hero.

"I am so thankful that our cinema has come a long way, and I am happy that women are portrayed as characters and not just eye candy in the films. (Women are) very beautifully portrayed on the screen," she said.

For me, the idea of "eye candy" is not as much about the role but what the actress brings to it. Even the smartest written role can become dippy with, for example, an eye candy actress like Nargis Fakhri in it. Not that actresses don't deserve to have more screen time and meatier roles to sink their teeth into but those throwaway roles don't have to be just "eye candy" is all I'm saying.

----

Here's a little piece on Rohit Shetty.

He has an ear to the ground and is acquainted with the trials and tribulations of lower-middle-class families and their desire for 'a few good laughs' and nothing more. "We're not Hollywood; travel 100 kilometres from Mumbai and the audience is not the same," he says. "My critics go to Starbucks, read the news, interact with like-minded people and think that is the end of India. They do have a taste and a sensibility but the world is not them. The world is my audience."

----

Oh, Bollywood Life!! Keep on rocking in 2014, too!

Seriously, hands down my favorite outlet for the ballsiest and most entertaining made-up drama. Although Firstpost is trying their best.

----

Can somebody just stop Farhan Aktar? I really enjoyed Rock On and Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara but he's not that good an actor that he needs to keep making movies.

----

Are there more chilling words than "Ajay has been working hard on his dancing"?

----

And Scarlett Wilson seems like she means business. Good on you, girl.

----

I'm still sad I didn't get to see Bullett Raja. It looked fun!

----

Something about Ajith's silver fox look is really working for me.

----

DHANUSH!!!!!!!!! VIP!!!!!!!

This had better come to my theater. Or else.

----

1 comment:

odadune said...

Okay, I am looking forward to HNY, and I do not enjoy agreeing with BL, HOWEVER...my first reaction to the poster was: "Why is Shahrukh cosplaying as Ajay Devgan?"

The fluff pieces about Ajay dancing for Action Jackson sound exactly like the ones for Himmatwala.

I really love the way Ajith has just embraced his age. "Yeah, I'm your dad's age, but I can still kick your butt."

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl