Thursday, January 16, 2014

Thursday Post: Too much PC. WAY too much PC.

Just a quite note from me. I've actually been ill the past week or so, so I hope you can forgive the lackluster posts. Hopefully I'll shake off whatever this is soon but please bear with me. Just going to work has been taking all my energy… but I'm trying my best!! I love you all and would never abandon you but sometimes daily life is just draining.


----

It's okay, guys! PC was just 'working on her video' and that's why we didn't see her at the Golden Globes.

What? Too good for the Star Screen Awards, PC or just bitter that nothing you did last year was recognized? The winners are here. Farhan Akhtar and Bhaag Mikha Bhaag scored big with the judges while voters went for Chennai Express. Obviously it's all bullshit but I will say that I like the Star Screen Awards the best out of the annual awards-a-palooza because they recognize folks who may not otherwise be appreciated. Although that element is certainly there, it's less a parade of popular faces than other awards shows I could name…

Sona, meanwhile is butthurt at Lootera not getting its due. Well, as somebody who found Lootera fatally flawed, I'm okay with that but I do think Sonakshi herself deserves some awards ceremony love for her performance. I thought it was better than Deepika in Ram-Leela for sure but I guess this has already been dubbed Dippy's year. You win some, you lose some, Sonakshi! Maybe next year… keep on taking challenging projects and one day you can get an award, too!

----

Here is a very cool profile of some guys who decided to try and find a way to screen Indian movies in their town in North Carolina.

Their venture hasn’t made them wealthy, but the friends say their reward is seeing people at the theater.

“Many people were like us, starved for (these) movies,” Kollipara says.

His favorite part of the evening is when the movie ends and people gather in the lobby to chat. It brings the community together, he says.

----

IFFA round-up! College students from India love stars. (Surprise!) I love this one where a student says she grew up watching PC's movies. (I'm sure PC would be thrilled to have her age pointed out.) And IIFA will be good for Tampa.

----

The first look at boxer Vijender Singh in the Akshay Kumar produced 'Fugly.'

----

It's Jaipur Literature Festival time again and Javed Akhtar will be back--hopefully to delight us again with his candid remarks.

----

Madhuri Dixit loves elephants, which means I have one more reason to love Madhuri Dixit.

----

Re-release Tashan?! You mean I could see it on the big screen again for the… third, fourth, fifth time?! YES!

----

The Guardian has up a profile of Mary Kom. She is an extraordinary woman.

----

A lament for the dearth of art house films able to be screened in Pakistan.

Cultural critics of these movies often object to the negative portrayal of Pakistan, such as the abuse of women, homeless children and terrorism. This criticism often comes from people who have not seen these movies but have only heard or read about them. Like any other area of art and creativity, movies present the view of the director. One may agree or disagree with the message but this should not mean that the director has to present a flowery picture of the country.

----

Ohhhh… new Jai Ho song has Salman diving headfirst into the Sunny Deol phase of his career. He has never looked quite so much like an uncle.

----

My twisted inner Filmi Girl is very much looking forward to Highway. I'm also very much dreading the reviews.

But I do have to say that it's been a long time since an Imtiaz Ali film actually interested me, so I hope this lives up to expectations.

----

WHY DOES PC HAVE TO BE IN THIS?! Can't it just be a fabulous bro-mance??? I have to see her smug mug in every other shot looking fake-demure? Ugh.

Much better.

I'll tell you--I will only go see this if the amount of PC is about the same as in Agneepath. I'm still hoping her role has been inflated for the promos.

3 comments:

odadune said...

*hugs* get well soon. Been draggy myself lately with some cold/allergy type symptoms, so I know the feeling.

My main reaction to the Tashan news was, "Ooh shiny!" followed by "the three leads will *not* be happy for the reminder of how much thinner they were back then."

Filmi Girl said...

Thank you!! I hope you feel better, too. It is draining, isn't it! But I'm feeling the need to make a big Kannada/Tamil/Telugu DVD order so maybe that will spur me to write…

Jess said...

Must be going around, I've been out sick for the last two days! Allergies, man. I hope sick season ends soon for everyone.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl