Monday, January 20, 2014

Monday Post…

You know I love a good Vijay mass!

I really, really enjoyed going to see Jilla yesterday. Even without subtitles, it felt like a real soul cleansing experience to see such a well-crafted masala film and it reminded me of the reason I began writing about these things in the first place. There is something magical about a film like Jilla, in the way it tells the story of the problems ordinary people face. In just three hours or so, Vijay makes the police give a shit about their jobs, he gives women physical self-defense training, he sticks it to a corporate developer who wants to bulldoze a village, and he fiercely loves his family.

His character is straight up a hero, a good person who wants to do good things.

This is always what is missing for me in recent Bollywood fare, with the exception of something like Krrish 3. Not having the mentality of a teenage boy from the American exurbs, I find antiheroes tedious and discussion of 'tropes' and 'world building' even more so. It feels like the 'twist' in the 2006 Don remake also marked the beginning of the end of the hero as a good person in popular Bollywood films… now everybody wants to walk in slow motion and be 'grey' and have bold scenes because apparently that is what's cool and not discussions with tiny children about risking your life to save others. (SHOUT OUT TO Krrish 3! Rakesh Roshan, never leave me. Never. Leave. Me.)

Before the film screened, the trailer of Gunday was shown and it was like everything I hate about these current Bollywood masala films--pointless wallowing in the nostalgia of the 1970s, glamorized bad guy antiheroes, plus Priyanka Chopra doing a vapid and overly sexualized "item girl" act.

As much as I would enjoy Ranveer Singh in those tight trousers prancing around on screen, the film seems like an empty exercise in Mad Men-style nostalgic wheel-spinning.

Give me a good Vijay mass over that 'cool' nonsense any day.

Anyways.

Let's see what happened over the weekend!


----

Anil Kapoor as the Punjabi Sherlock Holmes?

I'd ask 'why is this necessary' but actually I'd like to see it rack up a single lonely point for the ever shrinking public domain:

Sherlock Holmes fans can expect a slew of new films and content based on the popular British detective thanks to a latest court ruling which states that, while some stories and plotlines about Holmes are still protected by copyright, his character is not.

The ruling by Judge Ruben Castillo followed a legal battle between the estate of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the detective's creator, and Leslie Klinger, a Los Angeles lawyer.

----

Despite the fact that movies based on good books tend to be crap, authors can't resist the siren song of stardom.

Well, maybe we're in luck and The Immortals of Meluha is one of those crap books that will make an awesome Hollywood fantasy (?) film. Has anybody read it? What do you think?

----

Sanjay Gupta is tasked with an OFFICIAL remake of a Hollywood film. *yawn*

When contacted, Sanjay confirmed the news but refused to divulge the title of the original film or the name of his co-producer. "I am contractually bound to not reveal the details," he said. "All I can tell you is that it is a thriller like many of my previous films. But while the others were male-centric, this one has a woman protagonist and two important male characters. These guys approached me after seeing my body of work."

----

PK for December 2014! Book your tickets now…

----

KJo to direct again soon?! If the upcoming project is anything like Student of the Year, I say, yes, please! He really gets that young high-school/college romance genre. Perhaps even more so as an uncle than as a young man.

----

Still more Vettai remake drama. I swear, a film on the remaking of the film would be more interesting than the remake itself at this point!

----

Kangs to do a horror film! She was great in Raaz 2.

----

Mithun Chakraborthy: politician.

Ask him how he plans to balance his professional and political careers, and he says, “When I am acting, I am an actor. When I will go there, I’ll be a different man. As an actor, I have to justify the character’s demand. On the other side, I have to look into people’s well-being. Now there will be two people called Mithun Chakraborty in me.”

----

An article on the Chinese learning to love Bollywood.

"Youngsters in China love to watch Indian love stories," 23-year-old Jiachen Fang told a visiting IANS correspondent.

"3 Idiots" dubbed in Chinese is particularly popular in China. "I liked '3 Idiots' so much that I would love to watch it time and again," she said.

She said she liked the movie because it conveys one should follow his heart and do things which one likes.

----

A BBC report on multiplexes in Pakistan.

----

Javed Akhtar doesn't make it to Jaipur literature festival but guess who did arrive to spout his trademarked inferiority-superiority complex?!

“India ka wajood bahar aisa kuch khaas nahin hai. Apko izzat nahi milti (You don’t get respect). While here, we keep saying 'Saare jahan se achcha Hindustan humara’, the truth is that our existence is not worth talking about in the West, be it in terms of Bollywood or otherwise."

----

Song from Miss Lovely, though not a picturization.

1 comment:

odadune said...

I'm glad both Jilla and Veeram did well in India; I like both actors and it sounds like these were both good old school masala movies.

Immortals of Meluha is a religious fantasy-most of what I know about it comes from a debate on the old Bollywhat boards about who should play Shiva and Parvati-so I would expect a Hollywood version to be fairly disastrous.

Anil's been threatening to do Sherlock Holmes for some time now; like Bajirao Mastani, I believe it when I see the trailers and not before.

I was pleasantly surprised w/ the Akki episode of Koffee With Karan; not the most entertaining 44 minutes I've seen of Akshay in the past year, but it sort of ended up being Koffee With Karan: Deconstructed with all the meta commentary on the show, and Kjo got razzed vigorously early on.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl