Monday, January 13, 2014

Monday Post: You can say anything and people might take you seriously...

Good morning!! I'm sorry I don't have a review for you this weekend. I had been thinking about seeing Jilla but because the weather was so nice, instead I threw open the windows and cleaned like a maniac!! I found all sorts of goodies, too. Old copies of Filmfare and Stardust and about a billion cat toys hidden in the sofa. Since Jai Ho doesn't open until the 24th, I should have another chance to catch Jilla this coming weekend so all is well.

A clean apartment leads to clean thoughts, no?

Now on to the news!


----

Rakesh Roshan talks about his beloved son.

Rakesh Roshan vividly recalls nine-year old Hrithik’s first shot. “Since along with Rajinikanth and Sridevi I also played the lead in Bhagwan Dada, I was there on the first day of shooting when Hrithik had to give his first shot. It was with Sridevi. I was so nervous and embarrassed that I hid behind a pillar on the sets, just watching my son quietly. I could see him very quiet, not communicating with anybody. I thought he was just not interested. But when he gave his first shot he was perfect! Like Sridevi, my son transformed when the camera was on. That was the moment I realized my son had it in him to be an actor.

----

I was ready to scoff at this TOI piece thanks to the Times Points garnering headline but he makes at least one valid point--although "screen writing tips from the guy who brought us Mangal Pandey" isn't exactly an easy sell.

However, he noted there is no need for Indian filmmakers to adapt to the West and aim for the Oscars. "No, if there's an audience that watches films...the film industry is a thriving thing. Why would you want to travel...why would Shah Rukh Khan want to be popular in America? I mean if he's popular in America, then he wouldn't be popular in India."

----

Priyanka Chopra was at the Golden Globes, a fact reported by the Indian press and nobody else.

----

Is the world ready for another member of the Anil Kapoor family to begin acting? I'm curious about Harshvardhan. Juding from this write up, he seems intense.

----

Crisis averted in Singapore with a Veeram screening. The article mentions the riots that took place not too long ago and it is funny how how few of the glitzy films made in Singapore bring up the class and racial tensions bubbling under the surface there.

----

At least in the English press, the Saifai Scandal has been all but forgotten, except the star connection. The press has assumed the traditional position of bending to power.

----

With Gulaab Gang yet to be released, Soumik Sen is looking at a biopic on PC Sorcar.

----

Karan Johar on Salman Khan on Koffee with Karan:

"I have gone world over and there are people who genuinely came and asked me is he really a virgin. He was being funny when he said I am saving myself for the wedding night. Salman has a straight faced sense of humour. I can't believe there are people who believed it. That is what is scary as you can say anything and people might take you seriously," Karan said.

----

Aamir tweets about Jai Ho; the media's Khan Friendship Fanfic gets another chapter.

If I was the three Khans, I would totally troll the media by letting some journalist "accidentally" get a photo of three of us in a hot tub or something and then deny it happened while hinting that there are Secret Khan Meetings where we plot the takeover of Earth.

----

It's like nobody saw Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal and another India triumphant narrative… very interesting trend.

----

Is two films too early to compare Ayan Mukerji to Martin Scorsese? Not for Mumbai Boss! If you're so inclined, check out the ad for the conversation event with the young director on the 19th.

----

And I happened across this Indian garage rock band by chance. I posted the link on Facebook but I'll share it here, too. The Combustibles have an interesting story of discovery and re-discovery, if you enjoy rock history (which I do). You can also read the Rolling Stone India article on them. Good stuff!

----

No comments:

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl