Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Wednesday Post: Filed under T for Things I Like.

So, thanks to the lovely Mo, I am going up to New York to see Q's Tasher Desh on Thursday. If you will be there or be around, give me a wave!


----

Excerpts from Vogue's cover story on Katrina Kaif.

"Katrina has always wanted to change the perception of heroines in Bollywood. She has never understood why any actress should stand quietly next to a hero and just look pretty. She has fought hard and braved many scripts to be given the chance to really excel in what she believes in. I've always admired her for that. But Katrina is never happy; she always demands more from herself, from her directors and anyone who crosses her path. What separates her from the crowd is that so far she has not lost her head to stardom. She has carried herself with dignity through many twists and turns. Don’t get me wrong; she is a huge pain in my neck, but her passion for hard work makes her an endearing actor." -- AKSHAY KUMAR, actor, has starred opposite Kaif in several of her films, including hits like Namastey London, Welcome and Singh is Kinng

----

I love the hard hitting stories that come out of Bollywood Life: DOES AKSHAY KUMAR WAX HIS LEGS?!

All signs point to yes.

----

Youngistan is a movie my daddy made for me… I mean "a movie for today's youth."

----

Sunny Deol's disgusting love scenes with a 19-year old quietly cut from Singh Saab.

----

TOI link but Shreya Ghoshal!! I like her.

So, it is the music composers, who have failed the talented singers? No! Composers can't be blamed for this. There are many reasons for the current state of affairs. There is so much of pressure from the producers and the music companies, who actually get to rake in all the money. They want a chartbuster for a month, even if it doesn't have a shelf life beyond that. The minuscule good work that is happening is because a particular composer has really managed to convince the producers. Like it happened in the case of Tum Hi Ho. It is a slow, simple number, which has touched people's hearts, even though it has no commercial fluff and floss.

----

Is the flop maker tag finally sticking to Imran Khan? It only seems fair, since Shahid has gotten it and Shahid has been excellent in films nobody liked where Imran has been mediocre to poor in films nobody liked. The difference between them in the press--as far as I can tell--is that media people like Imran on a personal level and find Shahid arrogant.

(But, it's not my fault, says Imran.)

----

Interview with casting director Mukesh Chabra.

What sets you apart from rest of the casting directors in our country?

I wouldn't blow my own trumpet but I guess to a certain extent my own theatre experience where I was teaching the children the finer nuances of acting. I also did a diploma in acting for two years where I was a topper in my institute. That's the reason I can pick out good rare talent through better auditions.

Wow, this guy seems like a total douchebag. And really? Hunting among the kids at Starbucks for "new faces" is just like… drawing only from a particular class of people that go to places like Starbucks.

----

Nobody wants a Chennai Express sequel. Nobody.

----

It's Dimple and Naseer for Welcome Back. Huh. I wish we could have that pairing in a film that wasn't just a crass cash grab.

----

And Prabhudeva and Ekta Kapoor.

----

Nobody wants to do Milan Talkies? Either this is going to be one of those roles that goes to an upstart and we have a new star or… some producer's son will do it and it will flop miserably. Maybe.

----

File this under: THINGS WE ALL STILL WANT TO SEE, MADHURHI DANCING.

2 comments:

odadune said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
odadune said...

Every plot synopsis I've ever heard of Milan Talkies makes it sound pretty innocuous, but I'm starting to wonder if there is something profoundly messed-up hidden in there, given the way everybody keeps running away from it (and Imran's snarky remark about sleeping better at nights having rejected it).

re: Bollywood Life: yeah, guys, let's totally talk about the unmanly grooming habits of a guy twice your age with a slipped disc in his back who can still punch or kick your starbucks-sipping backsides clear into the next county. That sounds like fun.

re: Dimple in Welcome Back: mostly I'm weirded out by the coincidence of me talking about her belonging in the Housefull movies one week, her giving son-in-law the credit/blame for coaching her in shouty comedy scenes the next, and her being offered Welcome Back the week after that. (Or am I compressing the timeline...?) Anyway, glad to see her gainfully employed, wish it weren't with producers who seem like total jerks.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl