Thursday, December 5, 2013

Thursday Post: (Not the) Best Song Ever

Whatttt? Is this one of those overly-detailed (and hilarious) Key & Peele videos? No! It's those little fuckers from 1D showing (yet again) that 99.9% of Westerners have no clue about anything outside their own hermetically sealed cultural bubbles and are uninterested in learning except in the interest of a cash grab and/or mockery.

I have no problems with cultural mingling--I mean, if the idea of the rock group hadn't been exported, we wouldn't have SYMT or Sakanaction--but there is something just so infuriating about seeing these little douchebags making absolutely no effort and yet wanting some sort of praise for acknowledging there are other people in the world who may not wear denim and sneakers everyday.

Look, Aamir Khan tap-dancing is better "Bollywood dancing" than whatever this is.

1D piss me off for many, many reasons--first among them is that they have no respect for entertainment, entertainment, entertainment. (That lack of respect is basically the entire plot of their Best Song Ever video.) I'm extremely pro-boyband as I've written before and extremely pro-pop music, so don't take this as a snob argument. What bothers me about 1D is that their entire "boy band" shtick is being the cute and somewhat mean popular boys in high school. That's it. There's no dancing, no acting, no entertaining… and their singing is nothing special. So, what's the point? Where's the joy? Where's the passion? Why should anybody pay attention to them?

I mean, say what you want about Justin Bieber but at least the kid has respect for the game and seems to really enjoy performing.

----

I think we're supposed to think Sonakshi is being unreasonable in this Bollywood Life piece but… good on you, Sona!! Dishoom that guy! Why should she talk to Bollywood Life if she doesn't want to? I mean, I enjoy an "AKSHAY WAXES HIS LEGS NEWS AT 11" story as much as the next person but you can't write that stuff and expect the kind of nice TOI paid treatment, you know? Just like I would never in a billion years expect Priyanka Chopra to sit down and do an interview with me and that is totally her right.

----

Oh, Sasha!!!!! This is the kind of interview that only Shahid could give. Well, Shahid and Bebo. That really was the break-up of the dream team.

The actor is eagerly awaiting release of Prabhudeva's potboiler 'R...Rajkumar' releasing this Friday. "I agree when others say I am underrated as an actor... When you give super-hit films then only you are considered as a good actor.

At least that is how it is there in our industry. I think you need to be successful to be appreciated," Shahid told PTI. Shahid said he wanted to be successful and expressed that everyone should succeed.

Aw… I appreciate you, Shahid! And I've loved some of your least well received films. Member of both the Mausam and Phata Poster fan clubs right here.

But, is success the measure of appreciation? Because, if so, how do you explain Imran Khan?

----

Tigmanshu Dhulia confirms Varun Dhawan for Milan Talkies (?!) and has this to say:

"I am sorry to say I've become a victim of my own image. People expect me to make the same kind of cinema over and over again. I'd die of boredom if I keep making dacoit films and Paan Singh Tomars throughout my career. I need to expand my horizon. And the audience needs to appreciate that effort to grow."

I really, really wish Bullett Raja had played here. I was really looking forward to it and my impression hasn't changed, even with the negative reviews.

----

See, this is why I love Aamir Khan:

“I feel that whoever buys a ticket to my film, doesn’t go back feeling that it was a waste. The audience should feel entertained. That’s all. I don’t get into numbers. It has to touch hearts what money it makes, that doesn’t matter to me."

----

And this is one of many reasons why I don't like Priyanka Chopra.

"I always try to do films which I find interesting. But, we also have to be part of the 100 or 200 crore films to be commercially viable, so that we can go and do women oriented films. It is a give and take thing," Priyanka said today.

So, what she's intimating is that a) 100 or 200 crore films are inherently "not interesting" and that b) a film anchored by a woman is inherently not going to be popular. This is the attitude that gives us crappy 100 crore films and unbearably boring "woman-oriented" films and unless it changes, the outcome won't change. Just look at Aamir!! He gives us "interesting" 100 crore films and you could argue that Talaash was a woman-oriented film and that certainly wasn't a chore to sit through.

----

The controversy just won't end: American interview with The Good Road director Gyan Correa:

India’s choice of “The Good Road” for its Oscar submission has raised some controversy, partly because it has no U.S. distributor — in fact, the Tuesday night Wrap screening was its first American public showing — whereas the Cannes favorite “The Lunchbox” was considered a more viable contender thanks to its Sony Classics deal.

Even the director of “Lunchbox” joined in and cried unfair … while admitting he hadn’t seen “Good Road.” A backlash to the backlash has set in, with some defending India’s National Film Development Corp. (which produced both films) for picking the underdog that’s perceived to have less American commercial potential.

----

Salman Khan is getting a fresh trial for the 2002 drunk-driving-killing.

----

Lolo is waiting for the right script but considering her last choice, maybe she should run those scripts by somebody else first. Check with Madhuri or Sridevi, maybe, Lolo.

----

Nawazuddin Siddiqui is taking America by storm. First stop New York.

----

Saif's Illuminati films signs a couple of new directors.

----

Is Dedh Ishqiya getting pushed back?

----

I'd like to see those little fuckers in 1D try this! God, I love circus acts!! CIRCUS! Did you know I once almost booked a vacation to the Circus Museum to do research? I don't remember why it didn't work out but I should try again. CIRCUS! One more reason Vicky is basically making this movie for me.

----

3 comments:

Sharon A. said...

Spot about D1. I don't get whats the big deal, they are a BORE. They just stand there and sing and they're just moderately good at that. There's like a younger, less talented, slightly more ethnically diverse 98 degrees. I thought teenyboppers were supposed to entertain as in dance, work the stage or at least act like they're into the music. That's how Bieber, N'Synce, etc, did it.

Sonia said...

Aw. I think you're being a bit unfair to 1D. I think that Bollywood dancing bit was a nod to Zayn's culture. You know Zayn is half Pakistani and a Muslim. He grew up in Bradford which is mini Pakistan. He watches Bollywood films. Kabhi Kushi Kabhi Gham is his favorite movie and He's a huge SRK and Katrina Kaif fan, so they weren't doing it to mock anybody.

Filmi Girl said...

@Sharon Thank you! You have it exactly right. :)

@Sonia Thank you for the comment!! That is a good point on Zayn but that just raises a different question of why the poor quality of the dancing, music, etc. if he is a fan. The whole thing just feels kind of gross and pandering…

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl