Thursday, December 12, 2013

Thursday Post: Jai Ho trailer NOT out yet. Damn.

It's a sad, sad day for human rights in India with the Supreme Court ruling to re-criminalize homosexuality.

We can't control who we love but we can control what kind of society we want to live in. This is what we've been seeing in Russia and, indeed, certain areas of the United States, where gay people (and women and other cultural minorities) have become a scape goat for people's very real fears of loss of cultural identity in the face of the American/Western cultural export machine and for frustration at the riches that remain out of reach but forever waved in their faces.

There have a been a few articles collecting quote from stars, like the one linked above. Some are clueless; some are from inside a bubble of privilege. Farhan gets it right:

“The Supreme Court got it wrong today,” tweeted actor-director Farhan Akhtar.

Another article from TOI has more in-depth quotes from directors and actors about how it will affect films.

For Reema Kagti, whose Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd. showed the dilemma of a gay man stuck in a straight marriage, the verdict is a "slap in the face of democracy". "Forget about being the largest democracy, we don't even live in a democratic society. I'm horrified by the larger implications of the verdict and can't even think about what it means for cinema."

India Today runs down a sorry list of Hindi films that include gay relationships. Although they've totally misread Fashion. From what I remember, the gay couple in that was Priyanka Chopra and Kangana Ranaut.

And The Telegraph gets Karan Johar's opinion on the subject. For no reason in particular.

“People are desperate to maintain saleable images and while homosexuality may be practised, it is never openly flaunted. Even those who are known to be openly gay, or are perceived to be so, are shy of publicly acknowledging their sexuality,” he said.


----

A big happy birthday to Dilip Kumar (link to a photo gallery of his party with yesteryear stars!) and SUPER STAR Rajni.

----

Asha Bhosle is one class act.

After joining the industry at the tender age of 10, Bhosle believes that being a part of the Bollywood film industry has made her fearless.

“You should do what makes you happy; when you are doubtful about something, you should not do it,” she advises. “My age is such that I do whatever I like, say whatever I feel like.

“Initially I used to feel scared and think twice before speaking, but now I am fearless. I am 80 now and I finally follow my heart.”

----

No major releases this week, which means I'LL FINALLY GET TO SEE R…RAJKUMAR!

The calm before the storm of DHOOM 3!!!!! (DHOOM 3, you guys. DHOOM 3.)

---- And your new Sexiest South Asian Man in the World is… ALI ZAFAR!

Congratulations!!! It is a well-deserved honor.

----

Just no. A list of the "hottest" star kids?! REALLY, GLAMSHAM?! As if it's not bad enough we get articles on so-and-so's 12 year old son or daughter making their debut… in ten years.

----

A little piece complaining about the Bollywood numbers racket.

“People are living in a perception world. Perception is something that doesn’t exist. They want to live in that dream world because that’s what suits them. If a movie makes 27 crore ($4.4 million), they will say 31 crores ($5.1 million), because it suits them,” [distributer Ramesh] Sippy said.

----

I know it's silly but I love reading about best friends Dimple Kapadia and Akshay Kumar. It's nice to see a son and mother-in-law get along so well.

"I think Akshay is great, he is lovely. We share lovely relationship which I really treasure. He is mad and so am I. We get along very well.

"We have very cool relationship. I like his work. I like him in comedy. He is very good at comedy. I enjoy watching his films," Dimple told PTI.

Wouldn't it be great to see the two of them in a film together? Like Akshay plays a taxi driver who ends up on a road trip with Dimple, who plays a glamorous AND MYSTERIOUS older lady who's SECRETLY A SPY or something but then they become best friends and he talks her through some relationship issues and she helps him with his lack of direction in life. There can be dishooming and dancing and comedy but it will a heartfelt buddy movie between an older lady and a younger guy!

Oh ho! And apparently Dimple finds Poonam and Rakhi's strip acts as gross and annoying as I do.

----

Priyanka doing a 1970s-style cabaret number in Gunday sounds like it will be a disaster and judging from the dumb underwear model 'sexy face' pose she's doing in the "first look" I'm assuming it will have nothing in common with an actual Helen-style cabaret. Helen didn't do 'sexy face,' she was just sexy.

----

Forever my Sexiest Asian Man, Kunal Khemu is doing a cameo in the film only I am excited about: Mr. Joe B. Carvalho. Seriously, I think I'm the only one getting amped up for this. I mean, come on! Arshad Warsi and Javed Jaffrey together?! If there isn't a joint dance number, I will personally fly over to Mumbai and give the producers a tight slap.

----

Oh, Bollywood Life! Sonam Kapoor is doing the Arbaaz Khan produced Dolly Ki Doli but they have to report it with a huge dash of controversy!

Since Salman Khan isn’t part of the project maybe his younger brother thought of casting a bankable starlet and who better than Ms Kaif, right? Then we wonder why Arbaaz decided to rope in Sonam.

----

3 comments:

Moimeme said...

If you really want to include the Jai Ho trailer in today's post, you can update in about 2 to 3 hours, when the trailer should be on youtube. :)

(BTW, I *love* your idea for a buddy film between Dimple and Akshay, not least because I'm right not watching Cocktail, and constantly being aware that no way Dimple looks old enough to be Saif's mom here.)

Moimeme said...

Here's the Jai Ho trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaosmAGx8NM

odadune said...

Like you, I'm kind of charmed by Dimple Kapadia and Son (In-law). From Twinkle grumbling about her mother's online poker habit in some of her columns for DNA, and from all those fluff pieces about Akki cardsharking his way through the Diwali parties, I suspect the two might be gambling buddies, which is kind of a funny mental image. Yes please to the buddy road trip comedy.

(Also, even though I like Thank You in its current form, I occasionally wonder what a movie that would look like with either Rekha or Dimple in the detective role.)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl