Saturday, December 21, 2013

Saturday Bonus Post: IN DEFENSE OF KATRINA also isn't SRGAY kind of played out already?

Wow. I'm glad I didn't read any reviews or follow the buzz on Dhoom 3 before I saw it. Not just the pained hinting around the spoilers but I swear it's only a matter of time before I run across the film fanboy claiming Aamir has "raped" him of his time for appearing in a big budget masala film.

We've already got critics speaking from on high with one of my least favorite phrases: "lap it up", as in:

While the action-thriller is far from mediocre, and will probably appeal to the popcorn masses that have lapped up the likes of ‘Krrish 3’and ‘R... Rajkumar’ in the recent past, one simply can’t help but expect something a little more edgy, and at times, far less ludicrous, from an Aamir Khan-starrer.

Because the guy who made Andaz Apna Apna is never allowed to have fun or get silly or go over-the-top?

Then there are the trolls with (by my count) 32 appearances of the phrase "SRGAY" in the comments section of this review.

And I'm really disappointed at the sexist dismissal of Katrina's role as eye candy in a skimpy costume by the so-called professionals. Katrina's character was written to show how much that "sexbomb" thing is just an act. She wears the skimpy costumes on stage but off stage is as fully covered and "real" as can be. I loved her character and found her to be a refreshing change from the dippy, miniskirted newscaster needing-to-be-saved heroines you always see in action films. She's her own woman with her own dreams and--at least in my viewing of the film--was not defined by the hero's interest in her.

If you look back at both Dhoom 2 and Tashan, while neither film would pass the Bechdel Test, the heroines were both sharp women with characters and motivations of their own. Even if they did wear bikini tops, they didn't lose their brains to do so and the men were at least as objectified in both cases.

I'm not saying Dhoom 3 is a great work of art but it is a great movie.

ETA: I was thinking about this as I looked up other things but, you know, the conspiracy theories that flow out in the comments section of every review and article are really quite indicative of a public that has zero trust in the media, especially the filmi media. Every box office number comes under speculation, every reviewer is accused of being paid by this side or that side. And people aren't wrong most of the time, that's the scary thing… I think I'm pretty open with my preferences and about the fact that I don't receive one single penny from anybody but even I get accused of being a paid reviewer from time to time. I'd like to see those checks because none have reached me.


----

India Today strings a bunch of flops together and calls it the Death of Masala: Listicle. I shouldn't even link to it but the framing annoyed me. Audiences are clearly not tired of the action + romance + spectacle + emotion + comedy genre but maybe filmmakers have just forgotten how to package it in a way that's not condescending and/or pretentious and/or incompetent. Maybe that's the problem, not the masala.

----

Did I post this already? Rohit Shetty and Karan Johar to make a film together. Okay, then.

----

A hilariously bad interview with Nawazuddin Siddiqui:

So, what’s this problem between Irrfan and you?

There is no problem from my side. He is a senior actor who I respect.

He doesn’t make you feel insecure?

I am not insecure about Irrfan or anybody else.

You were at the Dubai launch of The Lunchbox last week, he didn’t attend…

We were told that he is down with typhoid.

HAAA! No wonder Nawazuddin didn't mind speaking with me.

----

Speaking of… The Good Road is out of the running for the Oscars.

----

Guys, I love Naseeruddin Shah. I really do. Him and Nana Patekar really just put it all out there. I mean, what is the industry going to do? There is no substitute for Naseer.

Seasoned Indian actor Naseeruddin Shah says he didn’t like Bhaag Milkha Bhaag and feels it was a completely fake film. “It’s a completely fake film. Farhan (Akhtar) has no doubt worked very hard but building up muscles and growing your hair is not exactly working hard on your acting. At least he should have tried to look like Milkha. Milkha is mighty pleased by him and he imagines that this was his life, he imagined he looked like that. Doesn’t he have photographs of himself from 1960s Olympics,” said Naseer.

OH SNAP! Throwing shade at Farhan Akhtar's mediocre acting!

----

Ranbir Kapoor adds Lay's chips to his brand endorsements.

----

Sure, Vishal Bhardwaj, whatever you say. It's clearly Yo Yo Honey Singh's soothing voice that made you sign him.

----

Mallika Sherawat is transforming herself into a women's rights advocate. Right on, Mallika!

----

I can't help but be gleeful at another dopey looking producer son attempting to enter the Bollywood scene. Shiv Dharshan had better be overflowing with personality and charm because…

----

Akshay is not entering politics. So stop asking.

"If you ask me about sports and health, I can write a book on it. So, I don't want to get into all that. I've earned enough fame in my life, I want to serve through sports and health," the Bollywood action hero said.

----

KANGANA!!!!! This looks adorable! And I'm so happy to see both Katrina and Kangana are looking less botoxed and full of lip plumper these days. That's the one nice thing about those injections, I suppose, unlike other plastic-izations, they wear off.

----

Aw… the Tamil version of Band Baaja Baarat looks cute!

----

Coke Studio Season Six is airing… just FYI. I was listening back to season five songs yesterday and I need to catch up with season six!! Here's Atif Aslam to tempt you. This guy has the voice! I hope he comes back to the US soon.

----

EEE! Trailer for "Tu Hi Junoon" is finally out! This song was fantastic~ it still gives me little shivers.

3 comments:

odadune said...

I am probably not going to get around to D3 terribly soon, even after it comes to dvd, but I'm glad to see the Tashan director back in the game. Hope he tackles something I actually want to see soon.

Nani looks like he will be just as much fun as Ranveer in that role, in a different way, but Vaani's just dong a bad impression of Anushka Sharma. :(

Kjo seems to be trying to move into the "mass audience" space. We'll see how that goes for him. I did not care for the Sajid Khan/Anees Bazmi wannabe vibe from the trailer for the Siddarth Malhotra/Parineeti Chopra movie, no matter how awesome the idea of Parineeti as a mad scientist is.

I didn't get around to commenting on your Nawazuddin Siddiqui interview, but I have to say, it really humanized a man I was somewhat prejudiced against by all the hipster hype around him.

Naseer's a hoot as usual. Glamorized sports/music biopics are probably one of the less problematic forms of "historical" movie, but this one had so much hype around it, that it kind of deserves to be called out.

I'm frankly stumped by the fact that anyone could contemplate the idea of Akshay Kumar, Political Figure, long enough to ask him about it without bursting out laughing in the middle.

Filmi Girl said...

@Odadune I'm happy he got a second chance, too. And if D3 does as well as everybody is expecting, hopefully we'll see him again soon!

And re: Nawazuddin thank you so much! That is quite a compliment! :) I didn't spend that much time with him but he seems like a very regular guy trying to figure out how to navigate all this fame stuff.

I suspect that most interviews with him end up being really defensive/douchey because a) his English isn't great so people are either having to translate from Hindi and choosing to do so how they want to or not bothering to try to communicate in English on a level he'll understand and b) I think he cares about what he's saying and gets frustrated by glib questions about Irrfan etc.

I would love to have more time with him and to have been better prepared. I bet he has some good insights on the system, if anybody bothers to ask him.

odadune said...

Yeah, a lot of the weirdness and/or jerkishness you see in interviews where the subject has more than two brain cells to rub together probably come down to frustration with the idiots asking the questions, so you're probably right about Nawazuddin getting frustrated.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl