Monday, December 9, 2013

Monday Post: Sorry, Sasha, I was snowed out...

Oh, poor Sasha!! I saw some titles of R… Rajkumar reviews and they seemed brutal. As you may have guessed, the snow kept me from the theater yesterday but if there is any possible way for me to see this film on the big screen, believe you me, I will get there. *Stupid snow storm*

At least the box office seems okay? That must be some consolation but the media narrative has been brutal. Building, building, building it up as SHAHID'S LAST CHANCE FOR A COMEBACK OH NO and then gleefully reveling in the moderate response as SHAHID IS THE WORST!!!!!!!!!!

It's fucked up.


----

We bid farewell to Vinay Apte and Dharmavarapu Subramanyam.

Rest in peace.

----

Long, long interview with Priyanka Chopra over at TOI. Read the self-absorbed and delusional Hollywood diva for yourself!

You've been doing a lot of big stuff globally recently - perhaps too much of it too quickly for it to be properly registered, absorbed, understood?

To me, whatever I am doing globally is an expansion of my creativity. It's not like, 'achha dekho main Hollywood chali'. It's not like that. Which is why I went via music, and modelling, and brands - and not via the conventional cine route. If a great film comes across, of course, I'd love to do it. I want to see what more I can do. I have such big dreams for the next decade. I don't know how much of it I can, but even if I fall short, it'll still be pretty big.

So mediocre songs and Guess jeans are the "expansion" of her "creativity"? Yeesh. And this is better than the "conventional cine route"? Somebody get Irrfan Khan and Anupam Kher on the phone real quick!! They've been going about this all wrong!

She also goes into detail about eating lunch in the toilets in her school in Queens. I wonder why Priyanka constantly feels the need to present herself as the underdog. Does she really have no mental framework for being successful? Reminds me of somebody else...

----

This guy.

India Today compiled some quotes from a Q&A he did.

My fave:

While most Bollywood actors are getting older, their actresses are getting younger. Shah Rukh included. When told the same thing, Khan smiled and said, "When I start looking like 50, I will start working with actresses like Juhi, Madhuri, and Sridevi"

You mean the women your age that you started your career with?

Also, this gem from One India stirs up the old Khan vs Khan drama by asking who Shahrukh thinks has a "hot bod" and then having a hissy fit when Salman isn't mentioned. But really, how can he win that question? If he had answered Salman, they would have just spun it like "Khan & Khan: Best Friends Forever," which, now that I write it, somebody should use that title and make a web comic out of it.

And, according to "sources," Shahrukh Khan has bought Essel Studios.

----

Siddharth Malhotra and Parineeti Chopra's Hasee Toh Phasee this weekend. And here are Sid and Shradda Kapoor in The Villain.

I am cheering for Sid as an outsider, though hopefully his acting game has been leveled up since Student of the Year. One does wonder how all the producers and directors have the gall to complain about the lack of talent to choose from and then only cast Miss Indias and Gladrags Winners.

But, then again, with Arjun Rampal and John Abraham in their 40s, I suppose the younger generation needs their own "hunk" to take those roles.

----

Yesteryear's Jackky Bhagnani, one Mr. Uday Chopra, is still riding the Fakhri Express.

And then there was this:

Aamir and Katrina trained rigorously for their look in the film. Did you also have a special workout regime?

Not really. I was okay to begin with. So I didn’t really have a problem. The only training I did was on a motorcycle. But I guess I failed in that, because I broke my foot while doing it. Now it’s completely okay.

Remember when he got gossip-copped ripping his shirt open for girls in Vegas? Oh, wait I just looked up the articles again and HE REPORTED ON IT HIMSELF ON TWITTER!!

“Ok They just kicked me out of the bar for taking my shirt off…I was just trying to impress the chick!!! Gosh!!!"

“The entire bar thinks I’m a creep now…yay!!! This was fun!”

What would we do without star sons?

The Fakhri Express herself has backed out a film with Himesh. Himesh not good enough for you, Nargis? Well, you're not good enough for HIM.

----

No.

And Akshay also says no.

----

Illuminati Films' Dinesh Vijan is directing. With all the horror stories about production that have trickled from that studio, I don't know if I would trust Vijay to direct anything.

----

Disney is hitching their wagon to the Anil Kapoor Khandan because they never saw Aisha.

The film narrates the story of Mili (played by Sonam Kapoor), an exuberant, vivacious and fun girl who turns the lives of a royal family upside down.

Look, I actually like Sonam and her acting and this sounds like a hot mess to me.

Exhibit A: THIS IS GOING TO BE A TRAIN-WRECK.

----

Lastly, anybody in need of a pick-me-up should see Dharmendra and his fans celebrating his 78th birthday.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DHARAM-JI!

----

So… this movie is going to be a National Geographic Tour of India?

----

Dhoom 3 may be sending over an Arabic language theme song but they've got their own special effects. Those hips! *boom boom*

----

Theme to Pakistan Idol…

----

And… a Karthi trailer! This looks good!

2 comments:

odadune said...

wait Sonam is actually going to be a Disney Princess? mind is blown.

"hype them up and then cut them down at the slightest provocation" is the media's S.O.P. for dealing with everybody's movies. Shahrukh and Aamir escape the worst of it by being actually pretty canny about figuring out what their audiences want, but even they are not immune. It just gets particularly unpleasant when it's aimed at someone who's both going through a bad patch and is talented and fairly inoffensive, like Shahid. The decent opening weekend means that he still has an audience, which means he's still in the game.

re: SRK's comments, the thing is that there's no good way to defend the whole onscreen May/October romance thing, and my own hunch is that the middle-aged male stars are not that invested in the situation as it stands (just about all of them have worked with a 30-plus year old heroine at least once in the last four years) but they see it as kind of inevitable, and they tend to give rather frivolous and unseemly answers when asked about it. Even so, SRK's remark comes off as a somewhat unchivalrous joke.

Filmi Girl said...

@odadune I guess so! Emphasizing all of her worst qualities as a performer and celebrity, I'm sure.

It just gets particularly unpleasant when it's aimed at someone who's both going through a bad patch and is talented and fairly inoffensive, like Shahid. The decent opening weekend means that he still has an audience, which means he's still in the game.

Very true… I just don't understand the point of this cycle? Not that every film needs to be praised all the time but you would think producers would get tired of this nonsense and start refusing to deal with outlets that follow it. Is the hype-bust narrative really that compelling that it needs to be used on every film? I don't get it.

I thought SRK's comments were very uncalled for. Especially since he is looking much more worn than Madhuri and Juhi these days… Mads looks gorgeous in the Dedh Ishqiya promos.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl