Saturday, December 28, 2013

Filmi Girl's Selections for Best and Worst Performances of 2013

These are just my personal opinions and (mostly) only based on the Hindi films I saw.





Best Emo Heroes (Tie): Aamir Khan (Dhoom 3) and Hrithik Roshan (Krrish 3
 Nothing sets my filmi dil beating faster than a couple of crying heroes. These guys took in all the pain of the world and tried to heal it as best they could. I'll be honest and say that until the final part of the year, I had been afraid that the corporates had driven out all heart from mass market films and I'm glad Aamir and Hrithik proved that the masala dil still beats… even if not as loudly as in years past.


Best Stud Muffin: Ranveer Singh (Ram Leela)

You've got your man-pain heroes and you have your buffed, waxed, and oiled heroes. Ranveer Singh set every woman's heart beating faster as the handsome hero of Ram-Leela and for that he should be celebrated. (And P.S. Aditya, if you're looking for your Dhoom 4 villain, might I suggest this guy?)


Best Heroine: Katrina Kaif (Dhoom 3)

Okay, yes, I know popular consensus has it as Deepika's year and I did like her in Ram Leela but I had zero interest in seeing her other two films and I just liked Katrina in Dhoom 3 more than any other heroine this year. Personal preference, na? Katrina just lit up the screen with her smile and she lit up our hearts with her dancing. And she didn't pick any sucky films, which, in my books, is just as important as being good.


Best Charmer: Shahid Kapoor (Phata Poster Nikla Hero and R…Rajkumar)

To be fair, I only saw the songs from R…Rajkumar but I loved Shahid in them all. Shahid Kapoor is charming. I could watch this guy read a phonebook and be captivated. Sure, maybe his film choices haven't endeared him to anybody but me (*still waving the flag for both Mausam and Chance Pe Dance*) and he has a (probably very well-earned) reputation for being a smug bastard but that just makes me love him more. Why be humble if you can be arrogant?


DisgRACE 2 - Bollywood Sequel Q-tiyapa (Spoof of Race 2 Trailer) from Swayampu Sree Anirudh on Vimeo.

Best Comic Performance: The Guy Who Did Saif's Voice in the disgRACE 2 Trailer.

Dude, please comment and take credit because I've watched this trailer a billion times and still giggle every time you say, "Whoa" in that nasal voice. *whistle whistle*


Best Villian: Jaideep Ahlawat (Commando and Vishwaroopam)

I just really liked him in both of these films and I think this guy needs a signal boost.

Best Badass: Kangana Ranaut (Krrish 3)

Look. Guys. Kangana is like the most precious person on the planet and I would fight off an alien invasion and the zombified remains of Passion For Cinema to defend her. (I MEAN JUST LOOK AT HER BLOG FOR FUCK'S SAKE!) But precious ladies can have the biggest balls, and Kaya was a ballsy role for a heroine to take for a number of reasons--she would be playing a mutant, she would be second fiddle to Priyanka Chopra in all the promotions, she would have to wear that tight suit and do stunt work--but Kangana clearly saw some potential in the character and I'm so glad she just sunk her teeth in and went to town. Kaya isn't just some femme fatale. She's a mutant who has been told she was useless and stupid since the day she was created, never able to please her master. And then she discovers what it's like to be loved, unconditionally… it's a beautiful character journey and Kangana just knocks it out of the park.



Best Hero and Heroine Stuck In Horrible Films: Vidyut Jamwal (Commando) and Sonakshi Sinha (Lootera)


Vidyut is a given and I'm gutted that I didn't get to see Bullett Raja because he apparently choreographed himself there but Sonakshi. You know, the more I think about Lootera, the less slack I'm willing to cut it for it's half-assed nature. Even putting aside the hideous background music that smothered so many scenes like a bad fart in an enclosed room, the film couldn't decide whether it wanted to go Full Sanjay Leela Bhansali or to be quiet and "classy" and the result was just dissatisfying on a lot of levels. Sona was fabulous, though. (Even if your brother is kind of a douche, Sonakshi, I'm still on your team.)








Best Ensemble Casts: Go Goa Gone and Kai Po Che

For Go Goa Gone that would be the group of friends: Kunal Khemu (and I say this every time but I seriously don't understand why he's not a HUGE star), Anand Tiwari, Vir Das, and Puja Gupta. I loved the dynamic between them all and I especially loved that Puja Gupta's Luna got to be just one of the gang. The Kunal-Vir Das bromance was hilarious, Anand Tiwari was a good sport as the wet blanket, and Puja was sensible. It was a good combo and felt very natural.

I also loved the three-fer in Kai Po Che, which was: Sushant Singh Rajput, Rajkumar Yadav, and Amit Sadh. Again, their chemistry just felt very natural and although Sushant walked away with most of the credit, I think it was really all three actors who made the film a success.


Best Jodi: Rishi Kapoor and Ali Zafar (Chashme Baddoor)

Because "Early Morning."

I really enjoyed Chashme Baddoor. It was a sweet, funny, low key film and I think it's been overlooked in a lot of the year end lists so… I'm mentioning it.


Best Fucked Up Couple: Dhanush-Sonam Kapoor (Raanjhanaa)

Unfortunately, I think this film got misread by a lot of critics…and possibly some audience members, too. It's a romance, sure, but it's a fucked up one that is in now way advocating that anybody do what Dhanush's character does in the film. Even if Dhanush is electric while he's doing it.

Best Item Girl-Boy: Jackie and Prabhudeva (Ramaiya Vastavaiya)

Like I needed an excuse to watch this again.

And kudos to Prabhudeva for making a non-flop film out wet noodle Girish's debut.

----

And now the dregs of 2013…

Worst Item Girls (Three Way Tie): Sunny Leone and Nargis Fakhri and Priyanka Chopra

Is this the Playboy Channel or am I at the movies? All three of these women seem under the impression that pouting and shaking your tits around is what makes an item. WRONG! Bonus points to Sunny Leone for at least looking like she's trying to have fun.

(And special bonus award to the dancer behind Priyanka's right shoulder who is fierce as shit and should be upgraded to item girl ASAP.)

Worst Debut: Pooja Chopra (Commando)

Look, Vipul Shah, buddy, can you not foist your playthings off on the rest of us? You may enjoy Pooja but the rest of the universe doesn't find her nearly as charming as you seem to.

Worst Actor (Tie): Imran Khan and John Abraham

Imran Khan scored a triple, sticking up our screens with Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola, Once Upon Ay Time In Mumbai Dobaara!, and Gori Tere Pyaar Mein. Johnny Boy managed an ensemble hit (Race 2) a middling ensemble film Shootout and two flops: soggy rom-com I, Me, aur Main and the pretentious Madras Cafe.

Who was worse? You'll have to tell me since the trailers for all seven were enough to turn me off.

Worst Attempted Comeback: Preity Zinta in Ishqk in Paris

Worst Hysteria Over A Film That Wasn't Really That Bad: Himmatwala

Worst Hysteria Over A Film That Wasn't Actually The Second Coming Of Christ And/Or Guru Dutt (Select One): The Lunchbox

3 comments:

Nutt case indian said...

i agree with most i disagree with some..best actors? wtf nono! and some other choices are rubbish

Filmi Girl said...

@Nutt Case Um… there isn't a "best actor" selection. And nobody is forced to agree with me on everything… if you like my writing, great. If not, there are plenty of other outlets talking up The Lunchbox and Lootera and Madras Cafe and Farhan Akhtar as Best of the Year.

odadune said...

Didn't see that many of the films mentioned, although for "worst male performance" I would upvote John in Wadala as extra-bad and flag Imran in Dobaara as "not all that bad". He was basically doing an 80s Jeetendra hero in a cheesy melodrama and doing it better than Jeetendra would have. Earnest, likable and sedate was what was expected of him. Trouble was, the other two main characters were played by people with more forceful screen personalities than his.

Contrariwise, John Abraham's work on Wadala would have come off as stiff, preening, and confused about the nature of his character, even if you subtracted the World of Ham factor brought on by Anil, Manoj and Sonu.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl