Sunday, November 10, 2013

Sunday Post: My heart is with you today, Filipinos!!

What an awful storm hit the Philippines!!! And 10,000 dead?! If there are any Filipino readers, please know my thoughts are with you.

Here is a Filipino band rocking "Yeh Ishq Hai" from Jab We Met which is all I could find for videos linking the two.

And as long as I was posting, here is some news:


----

Royal couple Charles and Camilla join Bollywood's sleaziest--the Ambanis! For a true meeting of the rich and callous. And Kajol and Ajay are there, too. Check out the slide show and laugh at their botoxed faces because that's all we can do. When we can no longer laugh at the wealthy and powerful, then they will have everything.

----

Shashi Kapoor gets his hand prints in the Walk of Fame.

----

Yo Yo Honey Singh postpones his US Tour until December. You know, I hadn't been feeling well all last week and yesterday I was walking to the store to get some soup and I saw a poster for the DC tour date--which was YESTERDAY--and for like two seconds I was really tempted to just go even though I wasn't feeling 100%. I'm glad I didn't now because there wouldn't have been anybody there!!

----

Reading this interview with Imran Khan, one wishes he would take up political essaying and leave acting to the actors.

Prohibition and restrictions don't stop people from indulging and states like Gujarat are the shining example of that. Despite being a prohibited state for alcohol, it flows there. Since the Delhi rape case, all of us have been talking about women's safety and a few politicians have gone to the extent of suggesting a dress code for women in order to protect them from being raped or molested. What kind of safety measure is this? To control pollution, you cannot restrict people from driving. Their intention is correct but the methodology is ridiculous. This is the only contention I have with them.

----

Here is an interesting little interview with a Dutch girl breaking into Hindi television serials.

Sippora [Zoutewelle] is excited about debuting with a project that gives her a chance to steer clear from stereotype parts offered to foreigners. "I was approached for a couple of movies and songs, but I wanted family kind of roles. Also, in serials, your character will be there on the screen for a while," she said.

----

And the TOI gets the real Mary Kom--the one from the Northeast--and gathers some random quotes about the Northeast:

Actor Adil Hussain, who belongs to Goalpara in Assam, impressed everyone off-screen too. Reacting to a question on why there have been fewer faces from northeast in Bollywood after Danny Denzongpa, he said, "It (Bollywood) is an industry. They don't cast faces from the northeast because it will not sell. I am probably here because I have some Aryan features."

----

It cost 25 crores to 3D-ize Sholay. It's too bad they couldn't have parceled that money into restoring and releasing multiple 1970s films IN NON-3D so more theaters could screen them.

----

Shahid Kapoor heads to Kashmir for the Hamlet adaptation--a film I'm really looking forward to. Shahid x Shakespeare?! TWO OF MY FAVORITE THINGS!

----

And, lastly, Khalid Mohammed gets in a nice-and-satisfying curmudgeonly rant.

Criticism rains stars, the traditional gossip press is largely toothless, A-lister actors as well as one-hit wonders preside at seminars and debates, contributing to the general dumbing-down of discourse. And aesthetics are vulgarised by Bollywood retro-chic. Evidently, no one can fight the advancing juggernaut. And those still stalwart enough to believe in quality, or those still possessed by the glorious, black-and-white era of the 1950s have only one option — to turn a deaf ear to the roar of crores.

----

And to think I almost missed my chance to see Yo Yo Honey Singh's air humping dance moves. I better check and see who's selling tickets.

1 comment:

odadune said...

Liked the interview with the Dutch girl-she has a good head on her shoulders.

Ditto Imran-he trained as director originally, and there was at least one interview circa Dobaara which indicated that he hoped to get into directing instead of acting someday (the money's currently better where he's at, I'm guessing). I could see him being good at directing low-key, entertainment-with-a-message movies.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl