Friday, September 27, 2013

Curly, wurly Friday post! I should wear my hair down today, hmm...

Elle Magazine discovers Bollywood exercise classes... but...

When I was speaking to Bollywood Funk’s Ayesha Khanna about some of the ignorant and misguided online comments about our new Miss America, she said that Bollywood sends the opposite message. “I think Bollywood is very open and that’s how the world should see it,” she told me. “Anybody can be a part of it. We welcome everyone.”

Um... I don't know how to phrase this without sounding combative but I wish they had phrased this better: Bollywood doesn't welcome everyone; Bollywood dancercize classes can and do welcome everyone.

----

Anurag Kashyap puts on his big boy pants to patch things up with Gyan Correa but only after writing an epically butthurt post for Tehelka that will make you nostalgic for the good old days of PFC.

The best part is that he opens with this "...I have realised that the community of independent filmmakers in India is essentially crabs in a basket; they cannot bear to see a film or a filmmaker do well." So, at first I was like, "Oh, he's going to apologize for his tantrum" but, no, he was crabbing about how he thought they selected The Good Road because they didn't want to see HIS film do well. Kettle? Hello, this is Pot. You seem to be in need of a bit of a polish.

This post is one of the more reasoned takes on the brouhaha we're all tired of.

The Good Road was an honest piece of filmmaking, with no particular ambition, that meandered into an ugly, partisan fight through no fault of its own. It may fade away into oblivion once the nominees are announced. Meanwhile, the makers of The Lunchbox should perhaps follow Kashyap’s lead and get back to filmmaking. There’s always next year.

----

Besharam is breaking Chennai Express's record of number of screens it's getting released on. We'll have to wait to find out what that means, if anything.

Actually, it may mean that we're going to be Happy New Year'ed until our brains bleed because Shahrukh had this to say:

"I am scared of losing. I am scared of coming second. I am scared of not making it big. So, I have such a fear of failure that I work harder when even I don't need to. I work longer when I don't have to."

Aw... insecure Shahrukh rings truer to me than humble Shahrukh. But he's going to have to learn to accept second place eventually...

----

Get well soon, Ranveer!

----

Rishi Kapoor: Still awesome.

I think the same way. I don’t want to play daddy roles. I don’t want defunct roles. I want to experiment. I never got a chance to do that when I was younger. That’s why I keep trying different things.

From a Kapoor Konversation with Anupama Chopra.

(Pssst... Ranbir caught trying to sneak through customs with his American shopping.)

----

Interview with Ileana D'Cruz from TOI.

I was brought up believing that I can do what a man can. But the fact that a woman can be put down in some culture is something I could not relate with. In the Telugu industry, it is customary for a woman to stand up in the presence of a director or a star. On my first film, this assistant director came to me hurriedly and said, 'Stand up. Stand up!' I said, 'Why?' And he said, 'The director is coming.' I don't agree with that and don't believe in fawning over someone irrespective of who he is, be it the President of the United States or anyone else.

WOW! *applauds*

I had no idea Ileana was so cool! I recommend checking out the whole thing--despite the source.

----

Kangana's Rajjo is going to clash with Ram-Leela at the box office. I hope they both do well.

CURLY WURLY KANGANA!!!! ♥ ----

And lastly, as an aside, I'm in the middle of a wonderfully entertaining novel that reads like Trollope in Singapore: Crazy Rich Asians! If Anthony Trollope-style writing about contemporary Singapore sounds like your kind of thing, check it out!!

2 comments:

Moimeme said...

Re Ileana's interview and the portion you applauded: I had completely the opposite reaction.

Standing up for people in authority or power is a standard Indian custom. You may or may not agree with it, but it's not a gender issue. If she was a young male actor in his first film, he would be expected to stand up for the director or a senior star, too. Heck, I bet Ileana's staff stands around her, and not sit. Why? Well, because that's how the Indian business world and even family world operates. Just a few days ago we had an interview from Neetu Singh about how Ranbir never looked into his father's eyes in all his life (this is to prove what a well-behaved boy he is), and I have read many interviews with people in Bollywood who praise Salman Khan for being so respectful toward his parents *that he never sits down in their presence* -- is that a gender issue, too? It doesn't matter whether these accounts are true or not, they tell you what is considered laudatory in that culture. Heck, even in offices, the subordinates always stand up when the boss comes. I know a software person in the U.S. who used to collaborate with an Indian company, and could never get the Indian engineers to get out of this habit, even though he repeatedly told them to sit down.

And how did Ileana make her way through an Indian school without ever standing up for the teacher every day when s/he came into the classroom, or for the principal if s/he happened to pass? And, if she went to a Catholic school in Goa, this type of discipline and observances would be even stricter. So I don't buy this so-called free attitude as evidenced by her refusing to follow established norms. In fact, to me it just came off as an attempt to bite the hand that used to feed her -- a slap to the Telugu film industry, now that she feels she's in Bollywood. Kajal Agarwal made similar comments about the Tamil industry when she did Singham. And then she had to issue a public apology that she LOVES the Tamil industry, since she had to end up going back there for her bread and butter. A similar fate may await Ileana, so she would be wise not to burn any bridges.

Amol said...

Kids these days !, No respect for their elders.
I wish they'd get off my damn lawn.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl