Saturday, August 24, 2013

Saturday Post: It's realistic.

Good morning! Although, not good for everybody it seems... Action director Tinnu Verma has been arrested for attacking his stepbrother with a sword.

And team Madras Cafe seem baffled that their film is getting protested and has been pulled from theaters. While I fully support the free speech of filmmakers, the Madras Cafe team were either naive or just plain myopic not to have expected SOME sort of pushback in Tamil Nadu when they were making a film that depicted controversial events. If Vijay and Kamal Hasaan face trouble, who is John Abraham to get none? I'm not saying it's right but they should have expected it.

Anyways, cluelessness on display in this BBC article.

Mr Sircar agrees that the rebel leader in the film bears an uncanny resemblance to Tamil Tiger rebel group leader Vellupillai Prabhakaran, while the actor playing the former prime minister looks like Rajiv Gandhi. But he says that "such resemblances are coincidental".

Meanwhile Nargis is off in Dippy Model Land: "Playing a war correspondent was not easy, it needed a lot of research. It's a very realistic role."

"Realistic" is my new buzzword to identify films I have no interest in. If ANYBODY is describing a film as "realistic," I know I'll hate it.


----

The recent gang rape case is horrifying and my heart goes out to the woman who was attacked. I know nobody needs a compilation of what every star on twitter has to say about it so I'll spare you. Instead you can have Karan Johar saying don't blame the film industry.

----

Bostonians will be interested in this article on the revamping of the local desi movie theater.

“[Local] companies like Bombay Cinemas and Aap Ka Manoranjan showed Bollywood [Hindi] movies, but when it comes to Indian movies, there’s way more than that. There are also Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, and Kannada,” [Siva] Stian says, referring to the different language-based film industries in India. “But they rarely brought in South Indian movies. About seven years ago, we started exploring this market, found out that the Boston area is mostly Telugu, and we realized the potential of South Indian movies.”

Vancouver-ites can check out Bollywood Star auditions.

----

SRK fires back at Ekta Kapoor...

----

Ajay Devgn thinks the "retro look" is why Himmatwala bombed.

----

Dippy vs Kangana vs Chitrangda for Fast and Furious. Not to wave my Vin Diesel fan club membership flag but if these actresses were going to do any Hollywood film, working with Vin Diesel is a great choice. The Fast and Furious films--at least the last few--have treated the female characters with a lot of respect.

----

AND YES! I'm so glad Piggy has denied she's doing an item for Ram Leela. Hopefully, SLB will hire a real dancer.

3 comments:

odadune said...

Dunno why Ekta can't take a page from her cast's book: shut the hell up and bury yourself in your next project. I mean, ok, not everyone can spend part of their movie's unsuccessful opening week a). shooting a romantic poolside scene in Bangkok with Tamanna Bhatia, b). shooting a song with Kareena Kapoor, or c). shooting a song with PRABHUDHEVA AND SHAHID KAPOOR, but you can't tell me that Shobha and Ekta have nothing better to do right now than shoot their mouths off at SRK and take it on the chin when he shoots back.

Re: Fast and Furious: I think we can rule out Kangna, just because her English is far too weak. Of the other two, I think Chitrangda has a warmer, more appealing screen persona, and I would totally root for her to be in a western film, but she is less glam and less athletic/physical than Deepika, so the latter is the most likely to get it. I don't dislike Deepika, but I have gotten kind of tired of hearing about her,* and there will be no living with her press machine if she does get the role.

Re: Ram Leela item number: the Priyanka buzz/denial seems almost exactly like that Immortals of Meluha business of a year or so, back, where most people concluded that her PR company had in fact planted the story and then retracted it when the producer lowered the boom.

*(Yes, people have finally figured out that she can act. Congratulations, slowpokes-I had deduced that a couple years back on the strength of her being the best thing about the first 2/3rds of CC2C.)

Filmi Girl said...

@odadune, You had me at hello. :D I'm loving this entire comment and agree. The sooner we forget about Dobaarrrraaaa the better. She's doing herself no favors.

I'd love for Kangs to get it but yes, her English is far too weak. It will probably be Dippy and I'll be curious to see how her acting matches with a Western cast. No matter who gets the role, this is one the actress can be proud to be a part of. (Although going toe-to-toe with Michelle Rodriquez--be still my heart--will take a LOT of screen presence.)

And cc to your suspicions over Ram-Leela. I didn't want to get into it, since everybody knows I dislike PC anyways, but it is a bit rich for her to complain about "being judged" by an intrusive press when her PR team pushes out so many bullshit stories...

odadune said...

I'm prepared to believe that Priyanka's sufficiently sheltered and/or focused on the singing/acting/dancing side of her job to where she doesn't "make" her PR people plant this stuff, but she and her family sure aren't doing anyone any favors by failing to rein in the PR team.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl