Saturday, August 3, 2013

Saturday Post: Inside baseball? We'll have to wait for Million Dollar Arm!

Good morning! Without a big release this weekend, it seems the ex-Passion for Cinema types have have turned inwards and started tearing themselves apart. They've accused Anand Gandhi and his Ship of Theseus were "inspired" by a student film. But I could not stop laughing at this Mid-Day write up: In Indian cinema, original ideas are not dime a dozen anymore. To paraphrase Tyler Durden in 'Fight Club', almost everything on the big screen seems to be a derivative of a derivative of a derivative. And that’s exactly what surprises us about a celebrated effort like Anand Gandhi’s 'Ship of Theseus'.

To start out complaining that Indian cinema has no original ideas by using a FIGHT CLUB quote is like a cliche of a cliche of a cliche of the kind of unselfaware person who thinks Hollywood is the goal.


----

Speaking of "inspired by," Prakash Jha refuses to show Satyagraha to Anna Hazare's camp.

----

WHY is Shahrukh blanketing the globe with Chennai Express?! WHY?! Is the target audience for the Lungi Dance actually in Peru? I don't doubt that the film is a safe bet in the traditional Hindi-language markets in the US, UK, etc. but I thought the whole idea behind this film is that it was a safe bet--a Rohit Shetty film. This is like sending Bol Bachchan to Peru. Is there actually an audience there for it? And would they get it?

Only Shahrukh could figure out how to make the finances of a Rohit Shetty film unwieldy and out of control. Case in point: ticket prices are up 40% for Chennai Express?

----

John Abraham says Madras Cafe is only for discerning audiences... aka if you don't like it, that's YOUR fault for not being "sophisticated" enough and for you, John will graciously throw out slop like Race 2.

----

I really wish Anurag Kashyap had gotten to make Bombay Velvet like five years ago before he blew up because this star studded wank fest interests me less and less. I was thinking about it the other day, actually. Casting Karan Johar? Anurag is now officially a Bollywood insider and his posturing of "Hindie cinema this" or "independent that" or "story this" or "can't find good actresses anymore that" is just that--hypocritical posturing. Lord knows I don't mind sell outs but hypocrites are another story. Just OWN your infatuation with being an insider now, dude. OWN IT!

(Also, whoa... KJo is playing a GAY VILLAIN? WHAT?! I'm not sure what to think about that.)

----

I feel like I should start up a Producer and Star Son Appreciation Blog where I can post pictures of Tiger Shroff doing gymnastics and report on Jackky Bhagnani's latest film. I don't know why I find them so compelling--not as actors, but as media personas. There is gaping neediness for approval along with an arrogant assumption that they deserve to be stars.

----

Dimple Kapadia: KEEP MAKING MOVIES PLEASE! I love Dimple! She's such a powerful on-screen presence and still drop dead gorgeous and sexy as hell.

----

Show these wannabe starlets how it's done, Dimple!

1 comment:

Tady said...

Dude ... there is a HUGE audience in Peru that's obessed with Bollywood ... speficially SRK ... I wish you would kinda not throw
statements like this around.

"Is there actually an audience there for it? And would they get it?"

I mean there is a big audience in Latin America for Bollywood [and it's growing!].

And the point of bollywood is not nesseseraly to 'get it' ... these films are entertainers - which is why someone like me [hispanic woman] at first - didn't have to 'get' certain premises, dialogues, etc., I was merely being entertained.

Hope I didn't ramble on too much. :D

The comparison to sending Bol Bhachchan is not an appropriate [and an unfair] one since that film didn't carry the star power that SRK has internationally.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl