Monday, August 19, 2013

Monday Post! *Yawn* Been there, done that...

Good morning all! Apologies for the unintended break over the weekend. Somebody who is me had a three day weekend and got a little too carried away with relaxing.


I went to the county fair and saw some pigs and rabbits and goats and ate a lot of food on sticks.

And I got sunburnt for the first time this summer!

Unfortunately I did not manage to drag myself out to see Once Upon A Time--even with the lure of Akshay being a badass, I couldn't bring myself to pay $12 for a Milan Luthria film that also starred Imran Khan, you know? It is rather frustrating that the hype is being played up like SRK VS AKKI, as if audiences were voting for their favorite person in whole world, rather deciding on whether or not to shell out cash for a film--one of which is directed by the guy who makes movies almost everybody likes and the other by the guy who makes movies critics usually claim to like.

So, yeah, I voted with my pocket book and didn't go see anything. I stayed home with my kitties and enjoyed my weekend off.

I may be a film fan but I'm also a rational consumer. But I think it's part because I have to PAY for films, I think I have a different take on them than the paid critics.

Anyways... let's see what the news dredged up for us today!


----

Salman's hearing date pushed back to September.

----

I'm not sure what to make of this op-ed by Suprateek Chatterjee on so-called "junk food cinema."

Here’s a suggestion to all those who do have a fondness for good cinema but can’t seem to resist their guilty pleasure movies — try treating the next blockbuster release like it’s an indie film.

Watch the trailers, read the articles written about it and ask yourselves why you want to watch that movie. Judge a film by the story that unfolds on a big screen. Expect actors to act, instead of allowing a leading man to play the the same role he’s played repeatedly for decades. Be entertained by intelligent plot twists and don’t get manipulated by gimmicks. Basically, try not to approach Bollywood with the mental and emotional constitution of a teaspoon. The slightly-more experimental Indian cinema is constantly being judged in commercial terms. So why not turn the tables and see how the commercial film measures up if we go back to the basics and judge a film by the basics rather than by stardom?

I actually agree to the extent that one shouldn't ever turn off one's brain in a film and to the extent that I do try to write intelligently about popular films. But I don't think taking films like Bodyguard seriously as art is the author's target outcome as much as it is audiences not going to see films like Bodyguard at all.

----

This is worth looking into--Chinese-Indian co-production, looking to make a real pan-Asian hit.

----

The Pakistan Times has up a two part article on Usha Khanna: Bollywood's only female music director.

Usha Khanna had no formal training in music and it is reported that she often took inspiration from Arabic music. She claims that she had never lifted any song directly. She only composed something along the lines of Arabian music. Usha is also very friendly with singer Asha Bhonsle and her association with Asha continues to this day as she composes the title-songs of the latter’s TV serials.

----

Did we already know Shruti was doing the Welcome sequel? And for the love of Helen, why is there a Welcome sequel? I mean, a good part of the fun of the original was Feroz Khan and now he's gone.

----

Will Chiranjeevi's politics cause trouble for Zanjeer?

“People of Andhra Pradesh are very upset with Chiranjeevi. He had been against the formation of Telangana and had even gone on a fast in 2009 on the issue. Though after his recent change of mind, even his brother Pawan Kalyan’s film Camerman Gangatho Rambabu helmed by Puri Jagannath had run into trouble,” a source said.

I don't know enough about the issues to comment but I'll try to look something up today--or if anybody wants to leave a comment with more information, please do!

----

Meanwhile, Thalaivaa is getting released on the 20th in Tamil Nadu. I hope people go out to see it! It was a really good entertainer with a good message. And I shouldn't have to say this but Santhanam was hilarious. Seriously. His comedy was ON POINT!

---- I'm not sure how many people read my Thoughts On Authentic And Original Art the other day but one of the problems with hitching your wagon to the Original Art Express is that people will jump all over any sign of unoriginality as if it's morally unforgivable.

After the controversy surrounding Barfi's uncanny resemblance to Charlie Chaplin capers, now it is the much talked about Besharam number Pyar Ki Ghanti. The song which also features the actor's vocals went viral last week, but there is a screechy footnote involved: the number is almost a straight lift from the Italian song Bella Ciao.

----

Katrina as Estella in in Great Expectations? SURE! SOUNDS GOOD TO ME! I wonder how they do the ending though. Famously, you can read it two ways--they hook up or they don't. I've always preferred the latter but then I'm a hopeless anti-romantic.

----

Bipasha Basu joins Sajid Khan's triple role packed Humshakals.

Sonu Sood for Happy New Year.

Nikhil Advani leaves Amitabh-Rishi starrer Mehrunissa, which is being renamed Pehle Aap Janab.

----

Bhaag Milkha Bhaag is getting shortened in advance of its international release. I wonder how they'll cut it down... and if they'll cut out the right parts.

----

Yeah... I'm over Ranbir.

Unless I hear really amazing things, I think I'll be skipping Besharam.

----

Shuddh Desi Romance still looks cute!

----

And your obligatory white item girl who can't dance courtesy of Satyagraha. What is up with Prakash Jha? Does this kind of thing really appeal?

7 comments:

Moimeme said...

Hi FG! I'm glad you had a fun weekend.

As a special favor to me, though, can you please announce on your Twitter when you don't plan to post a blog for that day? I've come to realize that you're now taking Saturday & Sunday off - then you threw me with the unexpected Saturday/Sunday post recently. But I still thought you were posting on Fridays, so now I keep checking your twitter to see whether there will be a post that day or not. And that keeps me up waaaaay beyond my bedtime. :) I hope you'll understand my plight and give my plea some consideration.

On to Andhra Pradesh politics, which was supposed to be the real point of this comment. Chiranjeevi has been a real jerk ever since he got into politics IMO; but, since he's among a bunch of jerks, it doesn't stand out so much. On the Telengana issue, pretty much every leading politician has been for it and against it at one time or another -- some times sequentially, and some times simultaneously. Never heard of Chiranjeevi fasting on behalf of Telangana, at least not in 2009 (I was even there during the elections). But who knows?

All I know at present is that Pawan Kalyan's new release Attharintiki Daredi has been postponed "due to the Telangana issue" according to the email from our local distributor. I thought that meant generally due to the unrest, not that he was being specifically targeted. Mahesh Babu's new release Yevadu has also been postponed by a few weeks, but I don't know whether that was because of the politics or not. He/his dad support Congress, so they may not encounter any opposition, at least in Hyderabad. OTOH, all state government workers are on strike throughout the state, including, of course, the capital Hyderabad. But I haven't heard of any protests/bands in that city.

So there you have my less than two cents' worth. :)

odadune said...

OUATIMD more or less worked for me (review on Bollywhat forum, if you're curious), but I don't think you would enjoy most of it-for instance, there is no Shoaib/Jasmin romance to speak of, except inside his head, and that's a dreadful waste of the Rowdy Rathore jodi. Best case scenario, you'd get a good rant for the blog out of the movie, about how mass audiences don't really want to see their heroes channeling Jack Nicolson from The Shining.

So, uh, staying home was a wise choice.

In other news, I am happy for Sonu and Bips-they definitely deserve better breaks than they're getting.

Filmi Girl said...

@moimeme Oh, gosh! I usually post in the mornings before I go to work and I had Friday off and slept in. :)) It all depends on whether there is something in the news/to talk about on Saturday and Sunday. I actually gathered a few stories yesterday but decided to save them more today instead.

I'll try to remember, though. :)

@odadune I heard the same from somebody else!! Sometimes a good rant is fun but I was ranted out after the last couple of weeks LOL!!

Katie Dickson said...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/shortcuts/2013/jul/31/telangana-almost-indias-newest-state
Explaining the Telangana issue with a little humour. I do love the guardian although as a Scot I'm not sure I appreciate the comment at the end of the article

Moimeme said...

@FG -- thanks. I hope I didn't come off as a rant.

I've now read that piece by Suprateek Chatterjee, and I think you've slightly misunderstood him. He's not complaining about the general public going to see films like CE, but that "sliver" of audience which belongs to film intelligentsia or cognoscenti, like himself. With their refined and exalted taste, how/why do they consume this "junk?"

But I think he's answered his question himself, in the earlier part of the article, which I quote:

The food-as-cinema logic has always worked for me. There are pav bhaji films, butter chicken films, Greek salad films, bacon club sandwich films, smoked salmon films, foie gras films and filet mignon films. There are some of us who eat for nutrition, but the vast majority of us who eat for taste and variety. You know that oily chicken tikka roll isn't going to be fun for you the morning after, but there are times when you crave it anyway, right?

But hey, things seem to be changing. People, at least in cities, are going to the gym, buying multi-grain bread, going organic, buying anything with the word 'anti-oxidant' written on it and so on.


In that list of foods, do you notice that the only three Indian foods listed are his definition of "junk", and the rest are considered healthy, or at least give variety. So I think that's the problem. After raving over the virtues of foreign, pardon me, "world cinema", they still can't escape their heritage, or their genetics if you will, and crave for something that is unabashedly, undoubtedly not available anywhere else but in India -- namely, the masala film. So maybe the only answer is in vitro genetic manipulation.

Danny Bowes said...

Heh, you're exactly the opposite of Bastard Keith and me on Besharam vs. Shuddh Desi Romance; we saw the trailers at Once Upon Ay Time ;)

odadune said...

FG: yeah, it seemed like Bollywood had been supplying you with more rant material than you really wanted/needed.

Re: Shruti in Welcome 2: that's a new development-last rumor was Asin, rumor before that was that Shraddha Kapoor had turned down the role (denied by all parties), rumor before that, as you know, was Sonakshi.

Re: Shuddh Desi Romance vs. Besharam trailers: neither are films I particularly want to see*, but I found the Besharam amusing on youtube and kind of epic on the big screen, while Shuddh Desi Romance was insipid on youtube and moreso on the big screen, with a really abrasive sound mix. That Love ki Ghanti song, however, is the most repulsively twee thing I've seen since the opening of Barfi.

*If I could wave a magic wand and unfailingly guarantee that I could make it to 3-4 Bollywood films in the next four months, my choices would probably be Phata Poster Nikla Hero, Boss, Ram Leela, and Gulab Gang.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl