Monday, August 26, 2013

Monday Post: AT LEAST WE'LL ALWAYS HAVE SASHA.

Karan Johar can really come through sometimes.

“I felt so silly even reacting, writing ‘I am disgusted’, ‘I am appalled’ because I feel it’s so helpless. These are just words, they are empty."


----

Because (apparently) I can't get enough analysis of Chennai Express.

The audience it seems has no choice.

The next hit film is decided in advance; there is no question of people accepting or rejecting the film. We already know that Hrithik Roshan's Krrish 3, Aamir Khan's Dhoom 3 and Salman Khan's Mental will cross the magic 100-crore mark. In having managed this, the new moguls have done the impossible: turning a notoriously unreliable industry - you never know what the audiences like - into a business that is more reliable than manufacturing salt; people will always eat salt. The filmmaker and the producer are the pied pipers whom the rats follow blindly to the box office window where they duly empty out their wallets every Diwali, Eid and Christmas.

Ooo! And a long form piece on King Khan from Sunaina Kumar over at Tehelka.

An interview with a star can be the most lacklustre of experiences. Almost without exception, stars will speak as if from a script. Khan, however, conducts his interviews like a keen chess player, always one step ahead of your next question. He’s a shape-shifter, constantly moulding himself to the expectations of the person in front of him. He will tell TEHELKA he does not believe in figures and wants to talk only about the creative aspect of a film, but for the business reporter who follows, he begins to spew numbers like a trade pundit. He acknowledges his strategising: “Most of what I want people to know about me, they know. My modus operandi is to tell people so much about myself that they never ask me the pertinent things, so they never find out who I am. You know, the people closest to me say, ‘We don’t know who you are at all.’”

----

I still don't understand why Shoojit Sircar felt Madras Cafe was necessary. First it's just set against the backdrop of the war then it's all about the assassination AND THEN Johnny Abe brings up Oliver Stone's ridiculous conspiracy theory-laden JFK as a mark of cinematic historical excellence... (AND THEN I hear from somebody's whose opinion I trust on "realistic" films, that even by those standards actually the movie really sucks. A journalist runs through some factual errors here.)

What was the point?!

Many theaters are deciding not to screen the film because of complaints or possibly just a lack of interest.

(UGH. I just saw this--a film on constipation? Sure, dude. Whatever. But I won't be watching it. Talk about having your head up your own ass...)

----

Here's something else I don't understand: WHY is Prateik Babbar still getting lead roles in films? At this point, wouldn't a talented unknown be better than what little soggy brand name recognition Prateik could bring? It's been a LONG time since Jaane Tu, people.

----

Wow. Apporva Lakhia gets sassy:

Of course! I also want Salim Javed and everyone associated with the original to see my film, because we have not made Zanjeer to ridicule them. It’s a mark of our respect.

Because we all know there is nothing Jaya wants to see more than Priyanka Chopra pretending to get all up on Cherry's "gun". What a mark of respect... SOMETHING ELSE I still don't understand--why this film which seemingly has nothing to do with the original has appropriated the title of Zanjeer: The Remake. Why not just make a throwback cop film with a dopey, booty-shorted heroine if that's what you want to make? You'll avoid ALL the drama of bickering with Salim-Javed and hero comparisons to Amitabh Bachchan at his prime.

----

Mid-day has the scoop on Rajkumar Santoshi vs Firoz Nadiawala.

----

Shahid Kapoor (yet again) restores my faith in Bollywood films to delight and entertain... I cannot WAIT for this one!

----

And Team Akshay re-uploads Akki's adorable first video blog from his short lived series. Something about Akshay's lack of interest and aptitude with social media is really charming.

1 comment:

odadune said...

Isn't the Shahid/Ileana song cute? :)

Every now and again Kjo gives me a reason to like him; this is one.

Akshay's kind of an odd duck in the business because I think he is fundamentally an introvert-someone who can work an audience (live people or camera) but isn't that comfortable one on one with people he doesn't know well. The way he uses humor (and amateur hour cricket) as a mode of socializing with coworkers while still keeping them at arms' length seems consistent with that, ditto the cluelessness about what to do with social media.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl