Friday, August 2, 2013

Friday Post: Thankfully not written by Aditya Chopra.

Katrina Kaif has written an open letter about her holiday photos being published.

"There is a breed of journalism that preys on celebrities in the worst possible manner crossing all lines of privacy and decency. Running these pictures shows support for this school of journalism.

I request that all media running these pictures please refrain from doing so. I have a wonderful relationship with the media and have been accessible to the media at all times. There is no reason for this furtive and invasive behavior."

Oh, Kat! I love you and empathize. She has tried hard to keep her private life private and not to trade on relationship make-ups and break-ups and link-ups for publicity but... the hungry maw of today's celebrity journalism doesn't care about privacy. Just page clicks.

I wish I didn't know as much about some of these stars as I do. There is something to be said for mystique, for just letting actors' talents (or lack there of) speak for them. Do we want proper film stars or do we want celebrity gossip fodder? I don't think we can have both.


----

I'm happy to see Kat back with Kabir Khan! He has gotten some lovely performances from her.

----

Ranveer is trying his hand at writing scripts? Okay! I'm up for anything he wants to do, quite honestly. Ranveer is endlessly entertaining. ALL HAIL OUR NEW BOLLYWOOD OVERLORD!

----

You guys, Priyanka Chopra just really wants to help people be proud of being Indian. We've totally misunderstood her "international" moves. She's just trying to SAVE THE WORLD by appearing in crappy animated films and working with Pitbull on C-grade dance tracks.

With her music and film career expanding outside of Bollywood, Chopra said she was now in a position to change common misconceptions that people may have about India.

"It was really hard for me when I went to school in America, and I don't want that to happen to any more kids or people who come from my part of the world. So if I can do something to change that perception, I'd be happy," she said.

And how, exactly, does singing about being "exotic" and wearing a bikini help that Indian-American girl in high school navigate stereotypes people might have about her? I'm just asking.

----

Is Temptations Reloaded actually happening? Huh!

Anupama Chopra gives SRK a pretty good grilling, though she doesn't ask a single follow up question.

Anupama: Last year when I interviewed you in London, you said to me, “I really want to do something special for the next twenty years. Let’s make bigger failures if we need to. Small failures are very boring.” But Chennai Express seems like a film designed to risk as little as possible. How is this film special?

Mr. Khan: The essence of the film which attracted me is that it’s a film about not being able to understand each other because of the language, cultural barrier, or sometimes even just how two people are. Whatever I understand in the film is what the audience understands. If you are watching this film and don’t know this language, you’d be as dumbstruck as I am in the film. To me, that is very unique and a challenge. As far as success goes, I think that follows Rohit Shetty. I don’t really have to do anything. I would love to be part of a successful Rohit Shetty film otherwise it would seem like everybody succeeds with him but me.

That's not quite true - I believe Sanjay Dutt in All the Best wasn't exactly a box office hit.

Also, the media have made a big deal of Shahrukh playing his age in Chennai Express but let's get real - his character merely mentions being 40--almost ten years younger than SRK's actual age--and the trailer doesn't show much difference between "40" and his "ageless" Raj/Rahul act. So, does it really matter other than as a promotional talking point? I'm going to go with no.

----

Salman Khan's UK VISA has been canceled. What is Kick going to do?

And some rumors of upcoming films.

----

Wait... I thought Anil Kapoor's son was getting launched in this film. Does that mean he's not the hero?

----

Star sons and producer sons are a source of endless fascination... for me. I'm so curious about Tiger Shroff's debut! And his newfound bromance with Suraj Pancholi. Instead of hassling poor Katrina Kaif, who really doesn't want the attention, why not just give us more of the follies and foibles of these chuckleheads? So much more entertaining!

----

Breath a sigh of relief, everybody!! Madhur Bandar-car's next with star--and I quote--a top actress and two other actors. Well, then.

----

Shoojit Sircar on Nargis's relaunch.

But the point is, I was looking for a foreign war correspondent with an accent and I thought she fit the bill perfectly. In fact, initially Nargis was afraid to take up the role, but I did few readings with her and gave her references of war correspondents so that she could prepare for it. And I don’t think anybody will have any complaints for Nargis after this film.

Not having any complaints is a far cry from "enjoying" or "being impressed with." I'm sure it's cold comfort to all the talented, struggling actresses out there who don't look like half-white supermodels that Nargis is getting a second chance at not annoying the audience.

----

Please to be enjoying John Abraham and Ducklips Fakhri wandering around looking like they're in one of those fashion magazine shoots where the models cavort with the "exotic" locals.

----

To cleanse your palate, how about a pretty, romancey Yash Raj picturization! Sometimes, looking like one is in a shampoo commercial is exactly what is required from an actor and actress. I LIKE IT! And luckily, this film DOES NOT have a story by Aditya Chopra OR Devika Bhagat, so chances are it will be as fluffy and emotionally satisfying as the trailers and songs are promising!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

How naive can you get. Frolicking practically naked on a *public* beach with a rising superstar, then feigning shock at the headlines? Is it news to anyone other than Katrina Kaif that fame comes at a price?

And your inconsistency is truly out of control these days. Mocking a hurt Deepika's words about being cheated on because obviously all movie stars must cheat, but empathizing with a clueless opportunist cashing in on her hot body who doesn't understand how celebrity or media works?

Come on now.

Tobi said...

As a recent Bollywood convert and srk fan, my problem with Chennai Express pretty much boils down to this: yay, my first opportunity to see SRK on the big screen! But wait, do I want it to be for this film?

Filmi Girl said...

I probably shouldn't even respond but I've had a tough week--make that MONTH--so I'll bite.

a) First of all, consistency in opinion is not something to be valued. We should all try to keep open and flexible minds. Changing one's opinion in response to new facts or ideas is a sign of high intelligence.

b) Deepika vs Kat are two different situations. Dippy offered up her naiveté to the media on a platter. She aired her own dirty laundry to the public and she can't then complain if we then gawk at the pit stains on her blouses. Kat, on the other hand, has generally kept her personal life as private as one can as a film star. She's not mailing out press releases with her holiday photos like some starlets do; she didn't call up the press photogs for staged photos; and she didn't go somewhere where she would have expected the star treatment - like Goa. In other words, this was a private vacation and the situation is much more equivalent to Kate Middleton's topless photos than Dippy complaining to the press about her break-up.

By all accounts, Kat and Ranbir were gracious enough to pose with fans when they were recognized.

AND lately it seems Deepika has taken a page from Kat's book and since the Ranbir incident we really haven't heard much from her about her relationships. The gossip that's spread is second hand and doesn't really sound like it's coming from her camp.

Filmi Girl said...

@Tobi That is a tough choice! Well, I would say if you do go, go on opening night or Saturday night when you can be assured a giant crowd! Enjoy the crowd experience and try not to think too much about the film. XD

Melanie said...

I remember Deepika said that she and Ranbir had decided to be honest with their relationship because they thought there was no point hidding it to the public.
But after all the "cheating" episode, she said it was a mistake and that from now on she would not tell about the man she's seeing. So she learnt from her own misadvendture...

And as much as I feel sorry for Kat and these photos, it was predictable.

odadune said...

Scriptwriter Ranveer: meh, sounds like it's autobiographical, which in turn means "Whine, whine, whine, Bebo/PC/Sona refuse to accept that I'm God's gift to women; whine, whine, whine, teh media are so terrible to me."

Only thing I'll say on the Kat controversy is that if two women who otherwise keep their private lives pretty private both fall madly in love with a guy who is very image-conscious, very marketing-conscious, and who also comes from a family with an unshakeable and often flatteringly portrayed Casanova image, and during the timeframes when the women are with this guy, both those women's private lives are suddenly all over the media, maybe the problem isn't the women's approach to the media. Just saying.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl