Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Wednesday Post: The literary edition.

Are you in Montreal? Want to see Vidyut Jamwal kicking ass and taking names ON THE BIG SCREEN?! You'll have to suffer through one of the WORST heroines I've ever seen - a Miss Pooja "See Where You Can Get By Schtupping the Producer" Chopra - but it's worth it for Vidyut. July 27th, Fantasia Festival. Be there or be square!

----

Salman Khan has been charged with homicide for the 2002 hit-and-run case but has been exempted from court appearances except when absolutely necessary.

And, meanwhile, Kick is shooting in my old town of GLASGOW, SCOTLAND!

----

BBC Radio documentary on Asha Bhosle and Lata Mangeshkar! I haven't listened so you'll have to let me know how it is.

----

Dubbing Hindi blockbusters is big business for Arabic television stations!

----

I think we're going to be hearing A LOT about The Lunchbox for the forseeable future. I'm sure it's a fine movie but I really dread the coverage if it gets any sort of traction here in the US.

----

First look of Sushant Singh Rajput as beloved detective Byomkesh Bakshi - director Dibakar Banerjee says it will just be good fun.

----

Oh ho ho! The "digital promotions" or whatever for Chennai Express are a game. Does anybody actually play these things? Do they really work as promotions? Honestly, the biggest USP in Chennai Express or any Shahrukh Khan film is... Shahrukh Khan. THAT is why people go to his films. Is a video game going to generate more interest than the man himself? It seems like a waste of money to me.

----

Speaking of promotions - did you see Masti and then spend the next nine years just dying for more material featuring those characters? Did you see the trailer for Grand Masti and think, "I haven't seen this yet but I just know the characters will be so delightful that I'll want more MORE adventures than more sequels could provide. I mean, sure, Masti 3 and 4 would be great, but I want more RIGHT NOW."

If that's you, get ready for... Harlequin tie in novels! Yes! Just what we've all been waiting for!

The book 'Grand Masti: The Fun Never Ends' will feature fun, rib-tickling and excitement-filled escapades of the three main characters of the film- Amar, Meet and Prem, played by Riteish Deshmukh, VivekOberoi and Aftab Shivdasani on screen.

----

Actually, I wouldn't mind reviewing one of these tie-in novels... for laughs. Get in touch, marketing people!

3 comments:

KimT said...

You have to give a little credit to Mills and Boon India (a relatively new division though M&B novels have been popular forever in India) for trying something, though this campaign seems obviously misguided. I think they had a nice campaign tie-in to I Hate Luv Storys, which (whatever you think about the film) was a good fit.

I'm a proud romance reader and I think there are obvious connections to the genre and the traditional Bollywood romance, especially in the stereotypical M&B alpha hero. I believe the second half of Mujhse Dosti Karoge could have been pulled directly from the playbook of an emotionally manipulative M&B hero (and I secretly loved it!).

Interesting things are going on in the UK and even US M&B/Harlequin markets. They are introducing South Asian authors who are being discovered through contests sponsored by M&B India (I've read Shoma Narayanan and have one by Riya Lakhani yet to be read). And, of course, non-South Asian authors are including South Asian characters in their romances as well (see The Stolen Bride by Abby Green...a bit of a guilty pleasure with a Bollywood subplot).

I think this trend (along with better representation of characters of South Asian descent in TV and film in the West...love The Mindy Project and The New Girl for instance) as a generally positive thing, recognizing valid concerns about continuing stereotypes (i.e. the Smash fiasco).

Filmi Girl said...

I love romance novels, too, I have to admit. XD

It just seems like a bad fit with SPECIFICALLY Grand Masti - a lad movie if there ever was one. What M&B reader is going to want to read more about three misogynistic jerks?

IHLS is definitely a better fit, as far as tie-in novels go.

Kim T. said...

If you ever are looking for interesting romances set in Bollywood, I would recommend Suleikha Snyder's Spice and Smoke and Spice and Secrets (www.suleikhasnyder.com). They're both e-books. Snyder is an American of Indian descent, clearly a big Bollywood fan, and her books are simply fun, and often have good LGBT subplots.

Most Bollywood-set romance novels are a miss for me, Nicola Marsh's Busted in Bollywood was particularly trite and boring.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl