Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Wednesday Post: Early morning... is when I got up today!

I just picked up a book called, Is that a fish in your ear? about translation, something that those of us who don't speak Hindi (or Tamil or Telugu or...) need to think about when we're watching Indian films. How much are the subtitles actually conveying? With this in mind, I was pleased to see that BollyMeaning has been thinking about the same things:

When I translate a song, the thing I worry the most about is not the 'beauty' of the song, but the meaning of words and sentences, and at the same time the essence of the song. I know many times the translations look funny, but that is natural when you try to put the idioms, phrases and poetry of one language in another where not just the language but the culture is entirely different.

And a bit of an editorial comment:

What people don't seem to notice today, on the other hand, is the hopeless lyrics that are put into songs these days, something that used to happen earlier as well, but with less frequency, I believe. However, when the same song is translated, the hopeless lyrics make hopeless translations and while people were busy listening to the music of the actual song, it gets noticed in the translation.

Food for thought. If you aren't aware of Bolly Meaning, I highly recommend you go check it out!


----

Bloomberg News takes on the economics of digital sales in India.

Put it all together, and big media companies see an opportunity. So they’re doing business with closely held Hungama to offer Indian fare as well as Western tunes. Cupertino, California-based Apple introduced a discounted version of its iTunes store in December. Apple offers songs such as the Beatles “Hey Jude” for 15 rupees. The songs are among the most expensive in India, but the cheapest among iTunes stores around the world.

I didn't see any data on iTunes penetration into the music market, though it appears to be less than existing music services, so it's hard to say what a "number 1" song in the Indian iTunes store actually means.

And on the American iTunes chart...


---- Ho ho ho! Producers now to pay for attaching trailers to films?

Except Krrish 3.

Anand Vishal, Head of Operations at Fun Cinemas said, “We are very happy to promote ‘Krissh 3′. The film is estimated to touch the Rs 200 crore mark at the box-office. It’s a win-win situation for us.”

----

Yet ANOTHER awards show has been launched.

----

Sanjay Ghosh has been booted from Kahaani 2? But Sujoy tweeted earlier today: and if you believe everything that you read.. then let me tell you.. i just saw a pink elephant fly past..

So, who knows what the story is here.

----

Really? NOBODY is willing to play opposite Kat in the Seeta aur Geeta remake?

I still don't understand why it needs to be a "remake" and not just a film where:

Seeta would be a dark, reserved character with suicidal undertones while Geeta will be a bindaas working woman in a corporate set-up.

Did people go around calling the original Seeta aur Geeta a "remake" of Ram aur Shyam? I suppose they want the brand recognition but it just seems silly, since if the above it true, that's not really remaking the film at all.

----

Border 2 with Sunny Deol?

----

Sanjay Gupta announces THE MUMBAI SAGA - a series of 80s-set crime films.

----

Arjun Rampal in and as... Villain. I can only hope that is how they promote this.

----

Aw... thanks, Karan!! I bet Karan wants to see Phata Poster Nikhla Hero as much as the rest of us do.

----

Some insight into Sonam Kapoor...

"If I don't do well and he has put in his money or name on me, then 40 years of his hard work goes down the drain because his daughter is a disappointment. So, I would rather fall down on my own and I don't want to take my dad with me," she added.

1 comment:

odadune said...

Yes, actually, I do think a lot of the young debutante/couple-films-old guys are uppity gits who've been told they're the sun and moon and wouldn't play second and third banana to a popular actress. Her best bet would probably be the Mere Brother Ki Dulhan boys, since they've already been in her shadow once. Second best bet, well, yeah the idea of a Kat/Sallu/Akki team up would be suitably epic especially if she really is planning on retiring to Kapoor bahu status in the near future. But it would likely only be possible with the men as guest appearances (which they more or less were in the original), and it would require a certain amount of horsetrading to bring about (like her doing an item number in Kick and/or the flashback wife in Gabbar.)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl