Saturday, July 6, 2013

Saturday Post! I'm back!

Yes, I'm home! I had a lovely time in New York! A big shoutout to Neo Blues Maki and my buddy Soshi, who put on a great show on Wednesday night.

^^ This is them. Feel free to like them on Facebook.

And to Bastard Keith for introducing me to one Mr. Go Go Harder <-link very NSFW.

And to the NYAFF for entertaining me with a double feature of Young and Dangerous 1 and 2.





----

NOW! The big news I missed is that the IIFAs are going to be in Tampa, Florida in 2014!! Woo hoo! Who's in, Americans?!

The 2013 IIFAs in Macau are whirling into gear and it's the same old bunch of Miramax-ish players - Barfi, Vicky Donor, etc - along with the inevitable SHAHID AND SHAHRUKH AND PRIYANKA ZOMGGGGGG RANBIR AND DEEPIKA BUT WHERE IS KAT type of stories.

Variety has an interview with Wizcraft "boss" Sabbas Joseph.

Joseph says that the IIFA business model involves the destination city agreeing to provide “X amount of value covering hotels and flights,” while Wizcraft enjoys revenues from broadcast rights and sponsorship. The host benefits from the publicity and shares the ticket sales.

No word on where the "annual" TOIFA awards will be held... although we did get an interesting report that the viewership numbers were a tiny fraction of what Premier Christy Clark estimated.

Only 29.7 million people watched TOIFA 2013 when it broadcast in India on June 16, according to reports citing India-based TAM Media Research.

That’s a far cry from the 400 million people the premier claimed would watch the Bollywood extravaganza hosted in Vancouver in April. In fact, it’s about 7 per cent of the estimated eyeballs.

Oh ho ho!

As for me, I've got Lootera and Singam 2 this weekend! And I'm still blown away by the debate over Raanjhanaa. I can't quite believe that people found it to be a sweet love story. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it but I thought the point of the film was that IT WASN'T a sweet love story... huh.

----

Let's just get this out of the way - for somebody who is purported to be the Bollywood actress for the "thinking man" or at least for the PFC type man, Priyanka can come across as massively idiotic.

THR: “Exotic” also features some Hindi lyrics by you. How did that come about?

Chopra: My upcoming album is in English and “Exotic” was initially going to be in English too. But in all my tracks I want to have some aspect of my Indian identity. “In My City” has some Indian instrumentation to give it flavor. For me, being Indian is very exotic. After Pitbull sent me his lyrics I suggested to “Exotic” producer RedOne that we could consider having some Hindi lyrics. He said, "Yeah, let's try that" -- and I quickly wrote the lyrics and sang it and he loved it. As I said, this is a summer song and we have so much fun in our Hindi movies and songs. We Indians really know how to party, man! And the world needs to see that. So the video has Indian-inspired dance steps too. It has a mix of Hindi and English, since the world is so global. An all-Korean song topped the Billboard charts, so why not a Hindi song?

Okay. First of all, what does PC hope to gain by playing into the West's idea of everything Asian as "exotic"? Does she think putting on a desi minstrel show act is going to get her anywhere? She may earn herself some attention but she's boxing herself in. Has anybody asked MIA about this?

Or maybe Priyanka has no idea what "exotic" actually means and is under the impression that it's a synonym for "sexy."

I would think that for somebody who lives and works in Mumbai, being Indian is actually pretty ordinary.

And for the second point, PC has obviously misunderstood what made "Gangam Style" pop, as well as wildly overestimating how catchy her song is.

I rest my case.

Most of that interview is her stumping for Disney's Planes, and she claims Disney is her FAVORITE filmmaker. Because she has decided to act like she's 15 forever. I'm just waiting for her to turn into Bette Davis in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane... 40 years old in a tube top and pig tails gushing about how's she's still "Daddy's Girl."

----

Raj and DK seem to be shooting in LA with Saif and Kalki? Or something! Whatever it is, I'm sure it will be worth watching!

----

For funsies - TOP 10 ACTORS WHO SHOULD STOP DANCING!

We are not saying that Abhishek Bachchan cannot dance – we are saying that he just should not. If you observe his dance numbers, there is something slightly forced and slightly effeminate that looks odd on this tall, muscular Bachchan Junior. He can stick to ‘Bluffmaster’ type hip-hop videos, but no one should be subjected to his ‘Nach Baliye’ dance in ‘Bunty Aur Babli’.

I happily support this entire list.

----

Zanjeer trailer in Hindi and... it looks pretty fun. Thankfully, PC's scenes seem to be limited to a handful of dippy rom-com heroine interactions, which I can easily ignore in favor of Cherry get his action on and a whole pile of villains and shit blowing up.

Speaking of which:

Yevadu. AND OH, HELLO MURALI SHARMA!

----

Lastly, Rabba Main Kya Karoon looks horrible, as did this song trailer but... there is something quite appealing about this kid. And the song itself is catchy. Just ditch the pack of whorey goris, okay?

Who is Akash Chopra? A quick google search revealed nothing.

2 comments:

lvrplfc4l said...

I told my boss yesterday that I would be taking two weeks vacation around IIFA. I live in Tampa so I'm very excited to be welcoming next years show to my hometown and if anyone has questions about the area I'll very happy to answer them.

Jess said...

Charan is ridiculously good looking. That's my only comment :)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl