Monday, July 8, 2013

Monday Post: When Aditya Roy Kapur is too good for you...

Good morning, dear friends!! I hope everybody is well. I, unfortunately, came down with a bit of a summer cold (thanks to the combination of air conditioning and heat/humidity, I'm pretty sure - air conditioning will be the death of us) and didn't make it out to the theater this weekend. Tragic, I know... but hopefully at least one of the two new films will still be in the theater next weekend, too.

And I'm doing better than poor Hrithik Roshan, who was in hospital for a blood clot in his brain. Please take care and rest well, Hrithik!

----

IIFA round-up from Variety which covers the basics - i.e. Dia Mirza got an award for showing up humanity. What is up with Dia? How on Earth is she still getting this kind of treatment? Although I had to LOL at reports of Aditya Roy Kapur refusing to dance with her because she wasn't successful enough for him. O RLY ARK?!

----

This was REALLY interesting - Bollywood from an Hollywood industry-insider's perspective. And obviously, the first thing I noticed was that the word Khan was only used in passing. It looks like the way Hollywood "inside baseball" sees it, Ranbir Kapoor and Anurag Kashyap are Bollywood. Aamir and Salman who? Karan who?

India’s massive territory produces some 1,500 films a year and has a powerful indigenous market where local share can be as high as 90%. This helps explain why there are not many so-called cross-over actors. People I’ve spoken to believe that’s because the talent is so happy at home. One India-watcher tells me they don’t think it’s often the goal of Bollywood stars to head to Hollywood given “the level of stardom, creative freedom, accolade and money that they get in India.”

You have to love how "indigenous market" is used. And the 90% figure, not counting the fine shades of "indigenous" - i.e. limits on Hindi films in various territories.

Anyways, I thought it was interesting.

----

I always look forward to a new Akshay film but... Anthony D'Souza? I saw Blue. You can't fool me with a boss title like Boss.

Shiv Pandit, Hindie actor, has been added to the cast.

----

Salman is in trouble again... for putting details of his ongoing case online.

----

I'm very sad to see Madhuri Dixit distance herself from the word feminism, even as she says she is "independent and strong."

"I don't think I'm a feminist. I am independent and strong, which is what women should be like," said Madhuri.

Being a feminist is about making sure women are treated like thinking, self-aware human beings, what could be wrong about that? Unless she is thinking of the "feminism" of douchebags like Madhur Bhandarkar, which means men writing ridiculous fantasies of sexually liberated but emotionally fragile Barbie dolls who exist by and for men's pleasure. THAT I can see taking an issue with.

You know, feminism. Taking an issue with things like shaming and gawking at young women for doing things like going out for a drink with their friends, just like young men do.

----

How much do we all want to see Neil Nitin Mukesh imitating Imran Khan? CAN THAT BE NNM'S NEXT MOVIE CHARACTER PLEASE?

----

And here we go! PRABHUDEVA AT LAST YEAR'S IIFA! My favorite part is when Rekha's jaw drops like, "WTF is this excellence I'm seeing?"

Who is ready for 2014 in Tampa?! Sign me up!

3 comments:

odadune said...

I've only ever seen Blue unsubbed, but it seemed to me like the main problems with it were script-based: unsympathetic characters, the long, draggy sections with Zayed Khan. From a directing POV, I felt Anthony D'Souza did pretty well with the male bonding and action, and I loved the slightly roguish performance he got out of Akshay. Unlike with Blue, D'Souza is not scripting Boss (that's your friends Sajid-Farhad's job), and it's based on a fairly standard Malayalam "separated brothers" masala movie, so the characters are more or less sympathetic, there's plenty of warm fuzzies and male bonding, the action choreographer from Rowdy Rathore is onboard...basically, if D'Souza was ever going to redeem himself for Blue, this was going to be his best shot.

Plus hey, a masala movie that pairs the cute young female flavor of the month starlet with the middle-aged hero's kid brother. All the people who gripe about the May-October romances in modern masalas ought to support Boss on general principle :P

Filmi Girl said...

LOL!! Point very much taken. You could be right... we'll just have to wait and see. :D We all know I'll go see anything Akki is in no matter who is directing...

odadune said...

Heh, indeed! Just trying to make you feel better abt that inevitable trip to the theater. :)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl