Monday, July 15, 2013

Monday Post: In which Bollywood can't figure out why their plan of casting every beauty queen isn't turning up more actual actresses.

Are you ready to begin the week with your blood boiling? Then check out this article featuring producers and directors bitching how there is just such a shortage of actresses in Bollywood.

Most filmmakers feel there is a shortage of girls in the industry. Recently when filmmakers like Imtiaz Ali, Vikramaditya Motwane, Rohan Sippy and Vipul Shah among others had got together at the Mid-day office to discuss things they wished were a part of the industry, Motwane had quipped, "There's a real shortage of girls in the industry today." To which Imtiaz had added, "Every time, one of us starts making a movie, we begin to look for girls who can act and you inevitably see that there's really nobody."

Do you know what the solution to this is, boys? STOP CASTING FUCKING BEAUTY PAGEANT WINNERS AND MODELS IN EVERYTHING! The reason you're having so much trouble is that YOU KEEP CASTING MODELS!

Hold some auditions where you judge women by their acting talents and not by what they'll do to your dick. Problem solved.

----

I've been seeing this reported but I'm not sure if it means anything - Prabhu Deva being tapped for a film for Sanjay Dutt.

----

(TOI link but heartwarming) Nikhil Pherwani aims right for the dil with his debut film featuring an actor with Down Syndrome.

And it is not difficult to miss the excitement in his eyes. A huge Salman Khan fan, Abuli has DVDs of all his films and has also met the superstar while he was shooting for Dabangg. "He calls me his bro. Sweet guy," he says.

"I'm a movie buff, and I also love Goa (the shooting location of his film). You cannot believe how excited I am for the shoot to begin. This week, I'm practising my dialogues as I've already finished my test shoots," says Abuli.

----

Get ready for some lulz! Interview with Irrfan.

You played villain in Spiderman 3. Do you think Indian filmmakers are wary of casting you as the negative lead in a superhero film?

Bollywood and Hollywood work differently. I have different positions in these two different industries. The decisions I take in the West, I wouldn’t take here. You cannot compare them. I won’t play villain in a Bollywood superhero film even if there were offers. Spiderman was something we have been hearing about since childhood. So you have a different association and keenness towards it.

Let me translate the Irrfan-eze for you: Unless Rakesh Roshan is going to pay me Hollywood cash PLUS get me access to all the additional opportunities to schmooze with Hollywood celebs and make me feel important by having white people fawn all over me as the Top Actor in India, you won't be seeing me in Krrish 4.

----

"I feel all Rs 100 crore films are not the greatest movies," says the star of Race 2.

----

SHAHIIIIIID! HE'S BACK AND IN TOP SHAPE!

3 comments:

odadune said...

Imtiaz has been using "I can't find what I want in the existing talent pool" as an excuse to cast models at least since Rock Star, so it's possible that the others are also speaking from a place of dishonesty rather than cluelessness.

I don't remember when Sanjay is getting out of prison, so I don't know what impact that will have on Prabhudheva's schedule, which currently runs something like: Ajay movie starting soon; Salman movie, starting late 2013; Saif movie starting spring 2014; possibly second Shahid movie summer 2014; possible Rowdy Rathore sequel late 2014.

Kavs said...

I'm really surprised at what Imtiaz said. SO many Indian women can act. If you just turn on Indian television, there are dozens and dozens of actresses that I can guarantee act better than 95% of those in film.
I think what he really means to say is that there aren't enough white-looking, bikini model type girls that can act. Two very different things.
Though, I still love Imtiaz. He just needs to see the light :p

seriousaboutserials said...

@Kavs - Agree with you on the actresses of Indian tv being a talented bunch compared to the models proliferating Bollywood!! One of the reasons is that ofcourse the actresses that get cast on tv tend to look and sound more 'real life'-like to grab the "identifiable" factor. But I've also wondered if perhaps TV is just so much more fertile a learning ground for actresses because they feature stories which need to be carried on THEIR shoulders, rather than the hero's.

I can give you any number of examples but for every amazing Aakanksha Singh (https://seriousaboutserials.wordpress.com/2012/03/18/nbtnmkk-review/) that comes from a theatre background there's also a first-timer like Vandana Joshi (https://seriousaboutserials.wordpress.com/2013/04/21/sapno-ke-bhanwar-mein/) who may not initially seem to have the acting chops but learn to grow into and own their characters over the period of the show.

Errr please excuse the seeming 'self promotion' via blog links. It's more out of a desire to make a point about the variety of stories and roles an actress gets to pour herself into on tv perhaps compared to the 'accessory' nature a lot of Bollywood actresses get lumped with (despite maybe having talent that can be honed). Not that tv heroines don't have their own set of stereotypes to deal with, but that's another discussion.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl