Thursday, June 27, 2013

Thursday Post: Let's be happy!

Let's all take a minute to remember RD Burman on his birthday. He is very much missed... though his songs will live forever.


----

HUGE profile of Ranbir Kapoor that actually gets to some meat.

"What do I know about my character from Rockstar, Janardan Jakhad, or Rocket Singh, or Samar Pratap (Rajneeti, 2010), or the deaf and mute Barfi? The idea is to use the experience of the people who do know. I can relate to Sid (Wake Up Sid, 2009) or Kabir from Yeh Jawaani but that's about it."

I find this so fascinating!! Here is this sheltered guy, growing up protected from everything, and he uses acting as a chance to see the world from another perspective. Even if I don't always like his film choices, there is something very admirable about this. Unfortunately the interviewer is more interested in digging for dirt on Ranbir's link-ups than mining that direction but I'd be curious to know if any one of Ranbir's acting roles got him to change his mind about how he saw the world. Taught more compassion than a rich kid usually has or something.

----

Hmmm... this could be an interesting match-up: Varun Dhawan and Sriram Raghavan.

I really like Varun! From the "new" new crop of heroes, I really like him, Sushant Singh Rajput, and Huma's little brother Saqib Saleem.

But do you know who is great and hasn't gotten any traction is that kid from Mere Dad Ki Maruti - Prabal Panjabi.

----

Ranveer Singh is not doing the Magadheera remake, at least not now. But I am worried that it's being produced by a bunch of guys who don't even like masala films. Is there a less appropriate match up than Magadheera as done by Anurag Kashyap and Vikramaditya Motwane? Are they going to change up the script so that the hero is all "boo hoo I want to be a writer" instead of "let me kick this guy's ass real quick and then get knocked backwards by a tidal wave from Mumaith Khan's bosom"? ARE THEY?

----

God, I love Kareena Kapoor. OBVIOUSLY her character in Satyagraha (which is NOT based on Anna Hazare according to Prakash Jha, except that it probably is) could bring down an entire corrupt government (or whatever but I'm assuming since it's a Prakash Jha movie) single handedly.

"Yasmin kind of puts together the whole revolution, brings together the entire movement that we have (shown) in the film. It's strong, it's intense and I am happy that Prakashji thought of me for this role," the 32-year-old said here Wednesday from London via a video chat at the first look launch of the movie.

Oh, Bebo! In the middle of a dream I call your name...

----

The troubles of Sanjay Dutt in prison... You have to feel for the guy, who can't take advantage of some of the services (like physical exercise and socializing with other inmates) offered to other prisoners because of security reasons.

----

So, is Honey Singh NOT doing a song for Chennai Express then? Was the announcement a test balloon to see if they should get him on board the (horribly soundtracked) train?

----

ARGHHHHH! Priyanka Chopra is so frustrating!! STOP RUINING MOVIES I WANT TO SEE!

----

RGV is having trouble selling Satya 2. Possibly because of the track record of his last... films.

----

Here's a SUPER helpful Dhanush For Dummies guide from Tehelka.

For a long time, Dhanush wasn’t the automatic choice among familial audiences. He did not burst into the mainstream scene with lovable and family oriented characters. He was an actor who played the roles of troubled kids and psychotic youngsters, the star of “despicable” songs like Manmadha Raasa and Enga Area Ulle Varadha that involve vulgar dance steps against Indian culture. Or so they said. To be euphemistic about it, Dhanush did have unconventional looks. He didn’t have a Surya or Salman Khan six pack physique either.

As long as there are no ridiculous bougie art fests this weekend, I should get a chance to see Raanjhanaa because IT'S STILL PLAYING! YAY!!! I am excite.

----

Satyagraha trailer. Looks closer to another Rajneeti than another It's My Life: The Deepika Padukone Temper Tantrum Film... but maybe I'm just blinded by BEBO'S BEAUTY! DEAR LORD! She is getting more beautiful every passing year.

----

"Titli Chennai" is a pretty song and Dippy is very charming but... I really am missing the SRK gene. He just looks like her tired, old uncle. Their pairing is gross.

----

More to my tastes... "NAGIN." Also, Dolly Ahluwalia giving a smack down AND RANVIR SHOREY! Looking forward to this one.

----

And MUCH more to my tastes is this... promo? for Arya Surya. Look, I like things that are mind blowing, okay? WOW!! It gets better!!!!!!! I googled and found this which says:

As per the story, midway through the movie, Power Star turns into a bear. As Power Star is in prison, they are making another person play the bear in the movie.

AND MUMAITH KHAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

----

Did I post this already? I forget. Worth watching again for the MIND BLOWING-ness. And my fave Santhanam.

3 comments:

eliza bennet said...

Thank you for the link to Ranbir interview. Despite the fact that I don't really care for his entertainment persona (he seems to be a player who gets away with it) I love him as an actor. He is talented.

Moimeme said...

FG: "Is there a less appropriate match up than Magadheera as done by Anurag Kashyap and Vikramaditya Motwane?"

Anurag Kashyap directing a film on the Wounded Knee uprising? You said he could do it, and do it well. :)

Anyway, he's only producing, right? After all, would anyone have expected a film like Rowdy Rathore to come from Sanjay Leela Bhansali? But it did, and he didn't mess it up. So maybe there's hope for Kashyap. I'm more interested in what this says about his cherished "outsider" and maverick status in Bollywood.

But I think Ranveer Singh is the *best* choice to play the title role in Magadheera from Bollywood right now. No one else even comes close.

odadune said...

Agreed, Ranveer is perfect for that role. The rather coy way he phrases it makes me think that he's in negotiations for the part.

Can't stand Ranbir's screen persona as a rule, but I respect his talent and dedication to his craft and don't think he's necessarily that much worse of a human being than the average Bollywood star son with lousy role models.

Couldn't get very much of Titla to play, but liked what I saw-a courtly, old-fashioned kind of romance thing where the guy happens to be a fair bit older than the girl, but not in a bad way. (granted I am basically the only person on the planet who liked the Ishq Shava picturization....)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl