Friday, June 21, 2013

Friday Post: This air I breathe.... it don't belong to me.

Good morning, friends! I hope everybody in Singapore is breathing okay... those fires just keep burning, huh? And my heart goes out to the people of Uttarakhand.

What is the world's environment coming to...

We all should have listened to the O'Jays back in 1973.


----

Ameesha Patel is getting ALL OVER my good books recently. Here she is on Subhash Ghai's Yaadein, as reported by Bollywood Hungama:

During the course of the chat on radio, Ameesha spoke about how she was ousted from Subhash Ghai's 2001 film Yaadein featuring Hrithik Roshan and Kareena Kapoor, due to filmy politics. Amisha didn't stop there. She went on to express relief and happiness at her alleged ouster, considering how the film finally turned out.

HAAAA! What? Is Ameesha supposed to be sad that she missed out on the chance to star in one of B-town's worst stinkers? Does she have a secret fetish for plastic crocodiles?

----

There is a massively inane interview with Shradda Kapoor and Alia Bhatt over with Anupama Chopra's Front Row. I don't doubt that these two are lovely young women but I can't believe they have anything worthwhile to say about the struggles of making it in the industry.

And I don't have to "believe" it because I can just read it.

So, the more roles you get, the more movies you get, the more appreciation you get. Appreciation comes in two forms [critical and box office numbers - FG] but to get them both together is the biggest challenge.

Words of wisdom from one film old Alia Bhatt who had a dream launch in a Karan Johar film as befitting an industry daughter.

----

High finance woes for Eros Entertainment as reported in Financial Times. The real one, not the one started by the Times Group.

----

Shahrukh decides to add himself to this TV tropes page with his comments on how the people of Tamil Nadu are portrayed in Chennai Express.

(I swear I'm not making this up, though Bollywood Life might be.)

"They are way ahead in technology and they are ready to work hard. And they are very friendly too."

In other words: "How can I be offensive when some of my best friends are Tamils?!"

----

Kat and Sushant Rajput Singh in an adaptation of Great Expectations? I'd be more excited if it was going to be filmi. Dickens adaptations need songs to help amp up the melodrama.

Don't let your English teachers tell you otherwise - Dickens was the master melodramatist of his day. Karan Johar should be directing this, not Abhishek Kapoor.

----

This is the (unintentionally?) funniest write up of Priyanka's new (presumably mediocre) single.

Priyanka Chopra also sings that she is “exotic” and “hotter than the tropics”.

You don't say! Do tell us, PC, what are your thoughts on the temperature in other global locales?

And is it me or is it weird to hear PC singing about being "exotic"? How exactly is she exotic? I thought her schtick was "nice, middle class girl made good." Now she's "exotic"? For being brown? That's only "exotic" in a handful of places around the globe, my dear.

----

Two other exotic girls are appearing together in an item for a Tusshy film. It's kind of disappointing to see Scarlet Wilson still kicking around but I love Maryam.

----

Heeeeeee! The first thing I've actually enjoyed from Policegiri! I have a funny feeling I may actually enjoy this film (minus the creepy father-daughter romance aspect. Prachi is like practically the same age as Sanju's real life daughter is all I'm saying.)

----

This song blows. This song trailer blows. But... some of SRK's best friends are Tamil, so it's all cool, right? I mean, come on. There are more exciting things happening in your average Sandalwood B-movie than I've seen coming out of Chennai Express. This film had better not join the 100 Crore Club.

----

A trailer that has me actually kind of curious about D Day now... Throw in some wedding brass and a lady explosives expert and I'm sold, apparently. (FG IS EASY THAT WAY.)

----

This looks BEYOND CUTE! See, my heart isn't made of stone. I can handle a bit of romance...

2 comments:

Kim T. said...

Shuddh Desi Romance looks so cute! Anyone else want a sister comedy with Vidya and Parineeti? They do resemble each other.

I'm in for D-Day, any movie that puts Arjun Rampal in designer suits and makes him strut around I'll pay to watch. Inkaar was, admittedly, problematic, but superficially the leads were gorgeous (maybe I missed the whole point of that one;)

Nice O'Jays reference.

odadune said...

I like the Mission Impossible vibe of the D-Day promos, though it's hard to imagine the director of such leisurely, rambling and just plain unfocused movies as Chandni Chowk to China and Patiala House being any good at that kind of thing. Like Arjun's Krav Maga(?) moves, and bravo to Huma, who when offered a choice between the award-baiting scarred prostitute role (that went to Shruti) and the trained professional who blows stuff up, went straight for the latter.

I liked the Chennai Express video better when I saw it w/o sound (don't ask how that happened) and could imagine it as being set to that item song from Rowdy Rathore. :P I *also* liked it better before people started defending it by claiming it was a parody. Because, um, no, you can't "parody" something that's already intentionally absurd.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl