Thursday, May 30, 2013

Thursday update... RIP Rituparno Ghosh

I had to post today when I saw the news... Rituparno Ghosh has passed away at age 49.

There is a nice tribute by Deepanjana Pal over at FirstPost.

With his bald head, kohl-lined eyes and feminine attire, Ghosh was unlike anyone Bengal (and India) had seen. Cross-dressing had been in the realms of caricature and parody in Indian society. Ghosh, however, was not treating either his wardrobe or his sexuality as a joke. The rumour mills churned away, but there was also grudging admiration at this proud display of transgender identity.

I don't know much about him but I feel inspired to watch his works now... and my thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family.

And as long as I'm here, let's see what else is happening...


----

Freida Pinto throws a hissy fit and walks from her Bollywood debut to be replaced by Sonam Kapoor. An upgrade, if you ask me. Sonam may not be the world's best actress but she's miles better than Freida.

----

Mallika Sherawat says stupid stuff (in other news: water is wet) and stars reacted. My favorite is from that screen goddess Lilette Dubey:

Women in India are in some ways freer than in other countries. But there are parts of India where women live wretched lives and tradition is a pretext for regressive values. But Mallika’s observations should not be taken that seriously.

Heh. Lilette Dubey is awesome.

----

Dev Anand was a touch point for Ranveer Singh in Lootera. I like it.

----

Biswajeet to write his memoirs.

The autobiography may also be his final effort to reach out to his estranged son from his first wife, Bengali superstar Prosenjit. "Yes, there's a chapter dedicated to that phase in my life...I may have been painted the villain, but I will explain the truth about what actually happened."

It's a TOI article so don't feel the need to click. That bit was the most relevant.

----

Jackie Fernandez for Kick - even though she seems to have broken with Sajid Khan. (Good on you, girl! Get yourself something fine!)

----

Let the slow motion walking begin.

----

I have to admit that as much as I'm looking forward to Raanjhanaa, I'm disappointed at the lack of REAL SONG PICTURIZATIONS and the music is kind of lackluster...

----

Nailing it much harder is Lootera... cannot wait for this.

----

I still think Neil Nitin Mukesh is a MASSIVE TOOL and a middling actor... but as a new member of Team Ameesha Patel, I've decided to root for Shortcut Romeo!

----

3 comments:

odadune said...

After Special 26 and OUATIMA trailer, I have a theory that the average director's brain seizes up uncontrollably at the sight of Akki in a suit, and they're just trying to convey to the rest of us what that feels like.

In news that might cheer you up, Danny Dezongpa has action scenes in Boss and Mental!

Moimeme said...

What exactly made you join Team Ameesha Patel, may I ask? I must say it's rather unexpected. :)

Good luck with the wedding!

Mo Pitz said...

I'm with Moimeme. When the change of heart and why?

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl