Thursday, May 23, 2013

Thursday post... send in the models!

Ah! Quick edit to add that the new film this week is... the Telugu remake of Vettai. Probably with no subtitles but I might check it out... AFTER I SEE FAST AND FURIOUS 6, BABY!

Come to Filmi Girl, Michelle... and back to your regularly scheduled programming.

One of the more thoughtful reflections on Hindi cinema to pop up...

For an explanation, one could go back to classical Indian aesthetics with the actor as a mirror on which emotions appear and vanish; it was about representation, not reality. Or one could subscribe to the idea of the actor conveying a mode of actorly being rather than a sense of being in the world. Looking at Shahrukh Khan (that consummately bad actor, who asserts with ironic pride that he has five expressions in his repertoire) one sees a stratified history of Hindi film acting. He is the medium summoning up shades of earlier actors like Shammi Kapoor, Rajesh Khanna and Dilip Kumar, and at his best he is Bachchan. But we have been there. We are among family.


----

More sleaze emerges in the IPL spot fixing scandal with Vindoo Dara Singh "supplying" models to bookies. Gross.

Can we stop treating women like objects now? Like for reals?

The Hindustan Times also has up a handy-dandy graphic of how the betting nexus worked.

----

Anil Kapoor is launching seven new actors in... that oft-threatened remake of Satte Pe Satta. No, in a remake of Saat Hindustani. No, just a film also titled Saat Hindustani but is going to be about seven college students in America, which means instead of liberating Goa from the Portuguese, it will be about smoking a bowl and then liberating some chips from the dorm's vending machine down the hall.

----

Remembering Bombay's lunch homes.

Arriving at the Victoria Terminus Railway Station, 15-year old Albert was totally confused. “Where to go? What to do for a living?” He thought about becoming a mazdoor in the port, the easiest to find job many Goans fleeing from Portuguese-ruled Goa turned to. But fate wanted him to serve drinks, soda-water and free Chakhna to the film-wallahs.

Wandering aimlessly, Albert visited a lunch home in the Fort area to eat. When he inquired about a job, the bar-owner did not charge for his meal and asked him to join as waiter, immediately. One of his waiters had eloped with the maid-servant of a Parsee household, so they were in desperate need for a replacement. That evening Albert donned a red coat and a white trouser — a waiter’s dress — and became waiter to the stars

----

Billboard interviews Priyanka Chopra... about Selena Gomez's bindi.

Singers from Gwen Stefani to Azealia Banks and Katy Perry have worn the bindi over the years. What musician do you think wore the bindi the best?

The bindi is such a beautiful accessory, and I think everyone rocks it in their own unique way. If I had to choose, I would probably say Katy Perry. I must admit though, I'm a little bias. We went shopping for Indian jewelry and accessories when she was in India last year. It was a lot of fun and we found some great stuff!

Like, Katy and I are BEST FRIENDS! Don't you know? Give me your e-mail ID so I can spam you with press releases about it and so you can be updated every time I take a shit.

Oh ho ho! But wait a minute... the intro says she's: "making her stateside debut this summer with her single "Exotic" with Pitbull." Um, HELLO?! If she's making her debut this summer then what was "In My Shitty Song (feat. will.i.am's C-List Material)" all about?

----

Ajay does a solid for an old friend and has agreed to do promotions for Naam, a 2004 film finally seeing release.

----

Dippy and Ranbir for IPL... no mention of who to call to be sent a model. I mean, now that Vindoo's been arrested.

Seriously though, I want that dress. And is it me or does Dippy really have no curves. At all. WOW! No wonder she looks awkward in saris. I mean this as a complete compliment - she would look great in Katharine Hepburn style menswear. Somebody cast her as an ice queen businesswoman who wears tailored suits and then falls in love with her spunky, curvy assistant played by Parineeti(?) I honestly can't think of a single man that Deepika has had real sexual chemistry with on screen but by all accounts she shared a good vibe with her Cocktail co-star, so let's make it a femmey film. And it's up to SLB and Ranveer Singh to give her some hetero action!

5 comments:

Moimeme said...

Thanks for the article on Hindi cinema. I do think, though, that it needs a caveat. While Mr. Menon makes several valid and valuable points, he also succumbs to many of the uninformed stereotypes that you constantly rail against when they're promulgated by white critics. I think a uniform scale has to be applied to all.

I do think his explanation of the unease with kissing is quite an intriguing one, and was somewhat echoed by Salman Khan on his last appearance on Anupama Chopra's show.

Filmi Girl said...

@moimeme True, true... I try to apply my scale evenly. I didn't say I agree with it all, just that it was more thoughtful than most I see. :)

odadune said...

He makes a valid point about the non-realistic tendencies of the cinema, but he sounds incredibly insecure about it, and mildly infuriating in the way he makes his points. He fawns over the Method actors and probably deliberately botches the Marathon Man anecdote, lest the witty punchline of that "dinosaur" Larry Olivier ("Have you trying *acting*, my boy?") steal the show.

Also, I used to be pretty up on Sanjeev Kumar's career, and yet I am hard-pressed to think of a movie, where he plays a modern-day, college-aged character for more than a couple of brief flashbacks. Maybe Smuggler, which was filmed when he was in his early/mid-twenties and well within regular Dawson Casting parameters.

Filmi Girl said...

@Odadune Do you think it's worth coming back to? I don't have much time in the mornings but I could revist the piece later this weekend...

odadune said...

I dunno that it is, unless the article intrigued you enough when you first read it. His core points are similar to things you have said in the past, only he kind of says them like they're a bad thing.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl